Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Towing off a SW, problematic ?

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
PICO-THAI
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Towing off a SW, problematic ? Empty
PostSubject: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:35 am

My engine got hot, the only option was to tow it off for some 6 miles. Remember, that one shouldn't do this with an automatic car, different mechanic though. What about harm to SW?

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 am

Have you checked your coolant level? Does the fan come on? Is the radiator blocked with debris?
Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 am

Answer to all of that is positive, pumped the coolant out, 1,5 liters, fan came on, little debris, but will have this checked tomorrow.
After draining and refilling took it to test, after less the 2 miles the red came on again.

Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 12:38 pm

I take it that it really is over heating and not just the temperature gauge sensor giving a false reading.

It could be the water thermostat is stuck and not letting the water circulate around the engine. You would have to remove it to test.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 1:18 pm

I do not think that towing will cause a problem.

USE CAUTION - no diagnosis, but will give you a bit more info to aid in diagnostics.

Was the water in the radiator hot when the indicator came on? If not the water is most likely not circulating.

Now you have to determine if it is the thermostat or the water pump.

The thermostat is easy to test.

Instructions for removing and testing the thermostat are in the service manual. Water, cooking pot, heat source, thermometer and all that. Should be fully open 8 mm (0.3 in) at 85 degrees C (185 degrees F).
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 11:05 am

Short tow with rear wheel on ground----ok as emergency deal......but remember belt/pulley are slipping wearing things out that don't need to be worn out.

Overheat, let Honda dealer figure it out----I don't recall SilverWing water pump problems/ plugged air to radiator? I recall Helix had sending unit problems(the wire maybe happened on all four new ones I owned....but engine went up and down with each bump SilverWing does not) But never actual overheat!

Sidecar/low speed could equal overheat,too. Bike is 7 years old and maybe needs to be gone thru.
Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks everyone, my toy is being taken apart right now, will report back for sure.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 1:24 pm

When the swing slows down it disengages the clutch and free wheels. I cant see how it would engage again without the engine. If the clutch was to grab wouldn't it also try to turn over the engine...

I will have to find a long hill and free wheel down it at speed to see...

scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 6:08 pm

RArch wrote:
When the swing slows down it disengages the clutch and free wheels. I cant see how it would engage again without the engine. If the clutch was to grab wouldn't it also try to turn over the engine...

I will have to find a long hill and free wheel down it at speed to see...

scratch
When I went up to Deals Gap to ride the the Dragon, I found out it will not go back in gear until you give it enough gas to engage the clutch. If you didn't I would think you would put unnecessary ware on the brakes. So I would say you are correct in your thinking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towing off a SW, problematic ?   Towing off a SW, problematic ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Towing off a SW, problematic ?
Page 1 of 1