Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike

Go down 
+9
tarmacburner2
Colin B
exavid
Meldrew
MikeO
4getful2
tinman
john grinsel
Gyro
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike Empty
PostSubject: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 am

Specifically, Silver Wings fitted with the Danson kit. Some of this information may apply to other trike/outrigger kits, but contact your kit manufacturer for their recommendations.

The Danson kit comes standard with a trailer hitch, but no information about suitable trailers, load capacity, etc. I emailed Danson and received this reply:

Quote :
Hello Jim,

You can tow a smaller trailer with about 150-200 lbs of gear. This also depends on the overall combined weight of the rider and passenger. The bike will have enough power to tow it, but braking is where you will notice the load. Give yourself more time to stop. Take it slow and easy riding down hills until you get a feel for how long it takes to stop. The greater the load, including the trailer and contents, the more time you need to give yourself to stop. On longer, steeper hills, be sure the brakes are not heating up. If they smell hot, pull over and let them cool.

It will take some experience to get a feel for riding while towing a trailer. The handling will not be affected as much, but the braking is what you need to be mindful of until you get a feel for it.

The best approach is to take it easy at first until you know how the bike will respond to the trailer and the increased load. Once you get used to it and develop a good feel for riding with the trailer you will know what the limitations are, and can adjust how you ride accordingly.

So? Why doesn't one of the motorcycle trailer manufacturers make a trike-specific model fitted with mechanical or electric brakes?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 am

Look besides the obvious lack of braking power===SilverWing/trike is making the bike/driveline do things it wasn't designed for---adding trailer to this combo??

Trike is bad enough/add trailer expect drive line (belt, etc)trouble----safe?? see if SilverWing/Trike/Trailer has met German approval?

I do think, not overloaded SilverWing, could handle single wheel Unigo trailer properly loaded.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm not in Germany, so I'm not certain what or how German approval would benefit me. Suspect

OTO - I would think that the Danson people would have a good idea about what their own product can do. I would certainly consider their weight recommendations to be upper limits under ideal conditions with skinny riders.

As for the Silver Wing drive train; I think "robust" is probably a good descriptive word.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 pm

German stuff is built to a standard and has safety approval---so you don't kill yourself by it falling apart going don the road

Then what is your experience with rubber band drive scooters?? My near 300,000 miles with them, tells me the drive line---clutches/pulley/belt are the weakest link----I am not too heavy/ride solo @180/don't over load and change and have to parts and belt at makers recommend time to keep from walking.

I rode sidecar outfits for over 40 years------and to think many bikes were able to handle the extra strain/forces from the factory-----I would think HD to day with their "servicar' trike have engineered "in" such as different trail, etc
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Proper maintenance is everything. When the use or the load is heavier than normal, the frequency of service increases and time between maintenance decreases. That is true for two weels, three wheels or 4 & more wheels on any vehicle. I base my decisions on my own ability to gather facts, get the opinions of manufacturers and experts, and on the opinions and experiences of other riders. Some people swear by tow-behind trailers. Others swear at them. Me? I have not yet reached a decision one way or another. I've read most of the trailer debates on this forum, but there has been no mention of trike+trailer that I have found. Thus, this thread.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 pm

There are not to many swing trikes around to get accurate information on that but there is a thread on this forum that one has sleep in camper the is towed with a swing .another just bought a trailer to tow his large dog .one was towing his trailer through the canadian Rockies .You might find some videos on Utube. Borrow a small car trailer and experiment with different weights for some first hand information.I think a trike would be a better choice for towing.
Back to top Go down
4getful2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
4getful2

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 pm

While i can't speak for silverwings and it's towables, i can tell you that i have a 750 vulcan with a hitch and have pulled a lil trailer.
It does take a lil more throttle pressure to take off and a lil more brake pressure to stop, but going down the highway, you barely notice it's back there.
I think proper loading(tongue weight) and proper hitch height(dead level or a lil below) is the key.
Keep in mind ,that towing is like you're carrying another person, so fuel economy is going to drop-off, on my Kaw. it dropped off 4 mpg.
I don't know how they did your tailghts and turn signals with the trike kit, but if they are still seperate, you will need to purchase and install a turn signal isolator, save some bucks, and buy one for a car or pickup, as once they stamp "motorcycle" on it the price goes up $30.
Get LED's for the trailer lighting as well, may cost you more but it is less taxing on the charging system.
As far as brakes on the trailer, I'd be afraid if they had them,while it does sound like a good idea. What if they locked up? It's a jacknife waiting to happen. Plus extra wiring for the controller/actuator.
Don't forget a spare tire for your trailer.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 pm

My trike came with a standard 4-pin trailer lighting connector. I would not think a very small brake-equipped trailer towed by a trike would have issues with jackknifing.. Trailer brakes with a standard 2-wheel motorcycle? Nope.....
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:49 am

In the UK there are strict rules governing size and weight of trailers pulled by motorcycles.

I don't think manufacturers include trailers in their calculations because it probably doesn't occur to them that anyone riding a m/c might want to tow one.

As for wear-and-tear: I'd have thought a m/c could tow a far greater weight without undue difficulties than it can carry.
Does getting a trailer under way cause more wear than getting under way with a pillion and luggage aboard?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 3:10 am

I'd have thought getting a couple of thousand miles of riding experience on the trike would be a good idea before adding a trailer.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 7:58 am

Meldrew wrote:
I'd have thought getting a couple of thousand miles of riding experience on the trike would be a good idea before adding a trailer.

At this point, it's a theoretical exercise. I saw that Danson includes the hitch on their "trike" kit, so asked them for their recommendations.

As for riding experience, I have about 40,000 miles of riding experience on two-wheelers. It's just a few decades out of date! Shocked

A trailer purchase would be a year in the future, if at all. Cool
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 am

MikeO wrote:
In the UK there are strict rules governing size and weight of trailers pulled by motorcycles.

I don't think manufacturers include trailers in their calculations because it probably doesn't occur to them that anyone riding a m/c might want to tow one.

As for wear-and-tear: I'd have thought a m/c could tow a far greater weight without undue difficulties than it can carry.
Does getting a trailer under way cause more wear than getting under way with a pillion and luggage aboard?

Towing capacity for any type of vehicle is always greater than it's load capacity. For example, a Ford F-150 pickup truck has a maximum load carrying capacity of 1,700-2,000 lb but a towing capacity up to 10,000 lb. (depends on engine & differential ratio.) Of course, there are no engine options on the S'wing, and no final drive ratio options, but there are aftermarket varistors and mods - some of which may be advantageous for towing with a S'Wing. This would be worth investigating. As Danson stated, the problem is not going down the road. The important thing to remember is the increased braking distances required.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 9:01 am

Rhetorical questions. Wink
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 9:44 am

Just remember , It's hard to change a 96 year old that is set in his ways. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:54 pm

You should also be aware of the well known fact that Grins' opinion is the manufacturer knows the absolute best for your vehicle, and that any modification is in essence "ruining" their design.

Therefore his advice on any adjustments you want to make to your already modified scooter are essentially pointless.

I've never towed anything with my scooter, so I can't help you. Perhaps there are those who have, and those are the people I would pay attention to. Feel free to ignore all others, and my advice is to ALWAYS ignore info offered from a certain someone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 6:00 pm

I mean JESUS. The guy has a hitch and wants to know what he can hook to it, and he immediately catches **** for asking.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 6:11 pm

This is not a dig at anyone I promise but the difficulty seems to be that in Europe we are governed by rules and regulations - with trailers for example - whereas in the States it seems to be that anything goes.
Here we are not allowed to tow a trailer with a m/c which is more than a metre wide and the rules are as strict with engine-capacity to trailer weight.
Judging by pictures I've seen on the Internet one can tow just about anything with a m/c in the States.
Therefore when people ask advice about such matters one is bound to offer advice based on what pertains in one's own country and it's unfortunate when those in other countries don't take account of that, discount it and take offence when none is intended.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Honda set load limits Because they know the Swing can be a pack mule .Look at Asian (Tai land scooter rider ) It's unbelievable how much weight they carry on those small scooter . Some are 4 passenger,and driver taxies with 100 cc of power.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 6:45 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
You should also be aware of the well known fact that Grins' opinion is the manufacturer knows the absolute best for your vehicle, and that any modification is in essence "ruining" their design.

It's also pretty well known that engineers tell management what their designs are capable of, then the corporate lawyers throw that info out and write specifications based heavily on the CTOA principle to minimize the company's liability.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 7:21 pm

This bitching is getting us nowhere; it's time it stopped and I'll lock the thread unless anyone has anything useful to add.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 7:31 pm

MikeO wrote:
This bitching is getting us nowhere; it's time it stopped and I'll lock the thread unless anyone has anything useful to add.

I'm not bitching in my own thread, am I? I certainly do not intend to come across that way.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Time for a frustrated anyone?
I went looking on Google for Motorcycle camping trailer,and I could not believe all the different trailers to those from.Go take a look ,posting is not for me.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm

tinman wrote:
Time for a frustrated anyone?
I went looking on Google for Motorcycle camping trailer,and I could not believe all the different trailers to those from.Go take a look ,posting is not for me.

I've looked at a few...

Marvels of clever engineering, but, IMHO, too big & heavy and too expensive.

A mini-trailer, a dome tent, and an air mattress costs far less, weighs less, and still leaves room for a couple of folding chairs, a camp stove, and a few supplies.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:03 pm

There is a nice trailer to carry camping gear on kijiji ont motorcycle trailer almost new for $400. Made of light plastic with a cover. There should be one used one in your area.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm looking with interest at the Harbor Freight trailer + cartop cargo shell.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:42 pm

The one that I was referring has a small cargo shell ,with tail light and hitch.the use one for $400. ,new $700. about 42" long,36" wide.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 11:58 pm

There's no doubt there will be more wear on the drive belt and brakes towing a trailer. The Silverwing's single front brake will get a harder work out when towing. If it weren't for the dicey transmission on the Burgman 650 it definitely would be a better trailer hauler than the SW because of its larger brakes and dual front brakes. Brakes are the most important part of the towing equation. Power is important but brakes are critical. Then there's the tail wagging the dog syndrome. If the SW should hit any sand or other slippery surface with the rear wheel the push of a trailer could make for a crash that wouldn't have happened without the trailer.
All that being said there are many who are pulling trailers. It's a matter of being willing to accept the increased risk and riding in a more docile manner.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 3:43 am

A personal view from a UK rider.

Politely putting aside the needs of disabled riders*, I can't imagine myself riding a trike, or pulling a trailer. All the disadvantages of a car, with none of the advantages of two wheels.

But then, as I said, I ride (mostly) in the UK, where our roads are either narrow, winding and pot-holed, or overcrowded multi-lane highways.

We also suffer from the animosity shown by almost all drivers to anyone towing anything, particularly caravans! That's largely because of the speed restrictions placed upon them, which result in moving road blocks; especially when one tries to overtake another on the highway!!! What a Face

British drivers are always in a hurry and tend to regard speed limits as a minimum; a target to achieve!

So, to our US chums, enjoy your wide, open spaces. cheers

* PS I'm NOT suggesting that those who ride trikes are, by default, disabled, but trikes are not in common usage here, by anyone.

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 7:45 am

In my area the total population in a 200 mile radius is less then 1% then the traffic you will encounter in one days riding where you are. No wonder you have so many grin's. affraid
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 7:57 am

Colin B wrote:

Politely putting aside the needs of disabled riders*,

* PS I'm NOT suggesting that those who ride trikes are, by default, disabled, but trikes are not in common usage here, by anyone.

And not everyone who is disabled rides a trike, as some on this forum can testify. Smile

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:

Politely putting aside the needs of disabled riders*,

Colin B wrote:

And not everyone who is disabled rides a trike, as some on this forum can testify. Smile

Cheers,

I happen to be both disabled and a trike rider. I even have a handicap license plate on the trike. Smile

Trikes are a common sight here, but the vast majority are of the Harley/Gold Wing type. I cannot say how many US trike riders are handicapped, but I have observed that most trike riders I have seen are older people.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 9:37 am

I have been severely disable for more then 15 years ,and have been dropping my motorcycle and recently my beloved ( PRECIOUS ) Swing, and lately with my pillion on board,and not wanting a recurrence with my pillion ,I have ordered a Trigg trike ( training wheels) for the safety of my pillion and myself. Will have it by monday weather permitting. This is a quick removal when I wish to ride solo. It 's a possibility that It will be a permanent installation. Better to ride trike then siting at home and watch them go by wishing I could be riding . Riding for me is my therapy and puts a big miles on my face. So anyone riding a trike ,is for posers ( put that in your pipe and smock It). :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:02 am

You're preaching to the choir, tinman! Laughing

Us older trike riders may not be able to go throuch the twisty-turnies at frightening speeds like that 20-something hunched over his crotch rocket, but then again, we don't want to. tongue (at least I don't!)

I have an aversion to scabs and fractures, thus I chose a trike.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 am

This is from a UK website

Legally for a solo motorcycle to tow it must have an engine capacity over 125cc.
The trailer must not exceed 1 metre in width.
The distance from the rear wheel spindle to the back of the trailer must not exceed 2.5 metres.
The Motorcycle must be marked with it’s kerbside weight.
The trailer must be marked with its unladen weight.
Maximum towed weight, including the trailer and it’s load must not exceed 150 Kg. (330 lb.) or two thirds of the motorcycles unladen weight, whichever is least.
The UK speed limit is 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
Lighting regulations are the same as other small trailers.
You cannot tow more than one trailer and passengers are not allowed to be carried inside the trailer.
Legal requirements vary from country to country and in some European countries it is illegal to tow with a motorbike. In those counties where it is illegal towing is permitted to visiting UK citizens during their stay. We would recommend you check with the relevant authorities before travelling just to be sure.

A motorcycle/sidecar combination is treated as a solo motorcycle. A trike unit is legally treated as a 3 wheeled motorcycle (a motorcycle/sidecar combination is not!). A trike can tow up to a maximum gross weight of 254kg. All other trailer details are as per C + U Regulations.

This is just legal requirements for Uk but maybe of use as guidelines for people over the pond.

As Honda not not recommend towing with a Silverwing I think it will be very difficult finding any figures for towing weights / capacities. But if you find any then it maybe a good idea to post a thread on the forum stating what they are.

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:29 am

The sticky point is that such regulations are written for two-wheel motorcycles/scooters, and, as we all know, trikes are very different critters.

Those UK regulations sound reasonable, and are probably appropriate for UK roads and traffic. As you said, regulations in other EU countries would be different, as are regulations in the US. Smile We must all comply with the rules and regulations our own governments impose on us. Over here, it even varies State to State.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:33 am

Gyro,
It does state:

A motorcycle/sidecar combination is treated as a solo motorcycle. A trike unit is legally treated as a 3 wheeled motorcycle (a motorcycle/sidecar combination is not!). A trike can tow up to a maximum gross weight of 254kg. All other trailer details are as per C + U Regulations.

I agree about different regulations for different countries etc but if you think about it, if the regulations were based on empirical evidence then all the regulations should be the same. The laws of Physics do not change when they cross a border.

As regards regulations, in the UK we have the 'kite mark' for our British Standards, Germany has the TUV (German: Technischer Überwachungs-Verein, English: Technical Inspection Association) which is much stricter than our own BS system. For example BS approval isn't subject to ongoing inspections as the TUV is. Personally if something has TUV approval then I'm more than happy to accept it.

I can understand the complexity over your side of the pond given county, state and federal laws, some of which probably conflict.

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 am

That's good! They recognize that a trike can safely tow a heavier load than a two-wheeler.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 am

But it cannot stop/handle mountain downgrades----- the trike already brings a SilverWing over or near its designed in ability to brake. Add Fat Rider and big mama and you have potential problem before you start. In US there really are no standards for bike/trike and trailer. And then there are the tip over problems, unskilled riders-----notice the magazines never do a real aggressive test of trikes. truth would cause lack of ads. For SilverWing also the inability to downshift to add engine braking!

I have about 75,000 miles solo towing small trailers..but heavy at times. At all times you really need to watch out----I think one wheel better deal.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:49 am

John,

Thank you for your concerns. You have made your point.

deadhorse

BTW: I live in Kansas. What mountains? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:00 pm

I live in for the most times, flat line.Most small trailers and at least one camper weight is 110 lbs plus content .For a Swing it would be safe to say it is not a problem . With larger camper trailers they can be towed by heavier GW .You can get them with mechanical or electric magnetic brakes that can be adjust to weight specs to accommodate the motor cycle .
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 8:09 pm

I will be hitching one of these to the trike on June 7 or 8 at the factory and bringing it home. The factory builds to order - and they have my order & payment. The trailer is 50-60 lb heavier than I would prefer, but a trailer without that 50# weight comes at a much higher price. Besides, I have no intention of loading it to it's max capacity. A small dome tent, a couple of sleeping bags and an air mattress, a couple of folding chairs, a camp stove, and some small essentials plus a couple of changes of clothes and we are good for the weekend. :D

Shadow Motorcycle Trailer video
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 8:45 pm

That is a very well built trailer,and should have no trouble towing with your trike .
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:02 pm

A sharp looking well built trailer, at a decent price. Would look nice behind my black swing.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Gyro,

Looks like a nice trailer. Like others have said about the braking I would just keep it slower and brake early. But I'm sure you already know all of that. Is it possible to get electric brakes on a trailer? I really don't know how they work but maybe it is possible. Also, I know when I had the J. Costa variator or light weight sliders that it improves the engine braking so that is another thing you could do if you find additional braking is needed.

But please give us a nice review when you ride it home. How far is it from your house when you go pick it up?
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:42 pm

It's 80 miles one way. We intend to ride a large portion of the trip on old historic Route 66, and avoid Interstate 44. Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Sounds like a nice ride. Maybe you can take a few pics of route 66.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Will do. I grew up on Route 66 where it cuts through the SE corner of Kansas. Some of the people shown in the Bonus Features of the Pixar film "Cars" are old school mates of mine.

My mother worked in this historic old store on Rt. 66 during my entire childhood and up until I was about 19 or 20 yr old:
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike Storeriv
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:31 pm

I don't know how small you can get electric trailer brakes but it would be an easy matter to set them up on a small trailer. You'd need the brakes, a rechargeable motorcycle battery and a trailer brake controller. All of the stuff other than the brakes themselves could be mounted on the tongue, the brake controller doesn't actually need to be in the tow vehicle other than for changes in brake sensitivity. The battery would be charged by the tail light lead on the trailer. It would work well but I think a 10" brake is about the smallest electric brake available.
One thing I don't like about a trailer on a bike is that if it becomes unhitched it might get nasty if you use safety chains. A loose trailer yanking back and forth on a bike as small as a SW could be a real handful. A better solution would be to have a braking system on the trailer that would stop it if it broke loose and no safety chain.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm certain that a loose trailer on a bike would be a nightmarish, and possibly deadly experience. Although probably still a scary, dangerous experience, I think that a trike like mine would provide more inherent stability and a better chance of a safe recovery. It just reinforces the need to check everything over carefully beforehand and make certain that all tow components on trailer & trike/bike are in top shape before hitching up and riding off with a trailer.

Towing a trailer is only as safe as you, the rider, make it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Last edited by Gyro on Sun May 12, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike   Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 10:55 pm

cheers I like it.
Back to top Go down

Info: Trailer towing with a Silver Wing trike
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next