Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

shortening windshield

Go down 
+3
edbancro
MikeO
robert
7 posters
AuthorMessage
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

shortening windshield Empty
PostSubject: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 2:06 am

Has anyone shortened their stock windshield? I really like the looks of the 10 inch Clearview Sport model, but at $119.00, was thinking of trying to shorten it myself, or find someone who can. Here in Arizona, where it gets so hot in the Summer, I think a short windshield would be a benefit. You All Ride Safe.

Robert
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:03 am

This post by Rickm:

I cut 2 1/2 inches off of my givi last week and like it alot more. Sometimes in fog or rain you need to be able to see over the shield for safety. I had a friend hold a piece of cardboard under the shield and I traced the top curve. Then I taped the shield down about 5 inches with masking tape ( both sides ) and drew the curve on the tape down about 2 1/2 inches. Then using a air power hack saw I cut on the line, use a fine blade and have a friend hold the shield while cutting. Then sand with fine paper till it's smooth. bingo,bango DONE

IIRC it's important not to cut too fast - if you do the perspex melts and rejoins behind the blade.
Waspie has a devious method of using nylon string.

No doubt others will fill in the details and add useful tips.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 9:16 am

Here's a write up I did a while back on how I cut it down:
https://www.silverwing600.com/t1938-how-to-cut-down-the-givi
I would strongly encourage you to do it in a couple of passes - I ended up taking off too much the second time I cut mine.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:19 am

I do agree if you do cut your own go slow! I have cut down one of my stock windshields and use it for a couple of weeks in the summer for added cooling, but what I don't like is the exposure to rocks and bugs and things the regular windscreen deflects. I really like the look it gives to the scoot. I cannot find my own picture but I grabbed this one from another forum. It will give you an idea on how it will look. The owner is Cindi and she likes to bling her Swing!

shortening windshield Cindibike
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:12 pm

Cutting is pretty easy.

I've used a 20 tooth per inch jigsaw blade in a 12v jigsaw. Just tape the area off well with blue painters tape to avoid scratching the windshield with the base of the saw.

Tape or clamp the windshield to your workbench so that it won't move while cutting. I imagine that a bandsaw would be the best to use.

I haven't had any problem with the plastic heating up enough to melt back together. Just feed the saw with mild pressure, don't force it.

You might want to cut less than you want the first time, just for experience. Then cut it where you want as a second cut.

As others said, if in doubt, cut less than you think you want. You can't put it back together.

With all the aftermarket shields in use on this site, I'm sure you could find a replacement windshield if you need to.

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:27 pm

masscoot wrote:
I cannot find my own picture but I grabbed this one from another forum. It will give you an idea on how it will look. The owner is Cindi and she likes to bling her Swing!

shortening windshield Cindibike

Paul,

Are you saying that you visit other sites !!! I say 40 lashes with wet noodles. Laughing

It looks like Cindi's bike on the yahoo group silverwing site.

Robert,

I would give you advice but when I cut my Givi down I didn't do a good job. I cut about 1/2" too much and I don't think I used the right blade. I didn't tape the top of the screen good enough either. I had a scratch along the entire curve at the top. It worked good but just didn't look as nice as it should have.

I would suggest you do it in a couple of practices. The first cut will be practice but it also surprised me on how much just a 1/2" too much is. If you want a professional cut you may want to take it to a glass shop and have them cut it. I hear most only charge about $25.
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. on cutting my windshield, as I don't have the proper tools and would probably screw it up, I think it best to take JeffR's advice and take it to a glass shop and have it done right. You All Ride Safe.

Robert
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 2:07 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Paul,

Are you saying that you visit other sites !!! I say 40 lashes with wet noodles. Laughing

It looks like Cindi's bike on the yahoo group silverwing site.

I do confess... O great one :not worthy: I will take my lashes with much disgrace!

I misplaced my own picture and for speed sake I knew where hers was Embarassed
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Paul,

Do you know who the owner or admin is for the yahoo silverwing site? I go there every once in awhile and can never figure out who is in charge there. It seems to me, like the silverwing.org site, someone who doesn't own a SWing owns the site. It seems the picture over there doesn't change too much.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:55 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Do you know who the owner or admin is for the yahoo silverwing site?
Click "Members"
Click "Moderators"

Looks to be w0thk ... Thomas
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: shortening windshield   shortening windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Bill,

Thanks. I don't go there much at all but I think I have looked it up a while back but I don't see this person posting very often.
Back to top Go down

shortening windshield
Page 1 of 1