Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda Shield VS Givi Shield

Go down 
+13
Jim Caudill
The Bern
Mech 1 twa
lloyd193
ItBeMe
GHM-PM
Dale N.
Pastor Ron
bikehiker
willajabir
john grinsel
Meldrew
carolina wing rider
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Honda Shield VS Givi Shield Empty
PostSubject: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 7:06 am

My Silverwing has it's OEM windshield still on it and I have been very happy with it so far. This is the first bike I have ever owned fitted with a windshield and I never really want another bike without a windshield after getting used to it. I see more and more Silverwings fitted with what I think is known as a Givi windshield. Some I've seen actually have another smaller shield attached at the top as well. In your opinion is one really any better than the other or is it just a financial decision? Your input, as always, will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 7:25 am

The subject of changing the OE screen for a Givi AF 214 Airflow and to a lesser extent the non-adjustable DT 214, and their Kappa variants is already the most comprehensive and widely discussed topic on this forum. Everything you want or need to know has already been said, search and read.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 7:52 am

Want some sort of riding comfort from SilverWing?---get Givi adjustable windshield, period----I and others have wasted lots of other aftermarket shields===Givi works best. Real windshield/buffeting problem in all maxi-scooters=your nose is too far from tip of shield.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Honda VS Givi   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 9:18 am

Honda-0 Givi-1
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 am

Givi Air Flow
Type in AF214 to search. Lots of good info on reviews and mounting.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Honda VS Givi   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 am

Thank you Larry. Honda-0 Givi-2
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I am about 5', 10", and the stock shield is perfect in deflecting wind near the top of my helmet.

If I had an issue, I definitely would take John's advice and go with that PARTICULAR Givi. It would be worth it.

Even though the stock shield is good for me, I think that Givi might provide more wind protection for the sides and hands.

You can test a shield's effectiveness: Find a remote, straight, safe road. Go about 45 mph or faster; your chosen speed. Lift left had up in front of face; gradually catch the wind stream to locate exactly where the shield is cutting off. I found that the stock shield was high enough to block wind and rain very well.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shields   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 pm

bikehiker I agree and I have been perfectly happy with my stock shield but on the other hand I have never had an opportunity to ride a wing with a Givi shield on it. Hopefully I will get a chance to compare them in the future. I very much appreciate your opinion. By the way...it is snowing hard here today.........great. Honda-1 Givi-2
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Just a note, as I've already recommended.

I always thought the OEM shield was sufficient. When I got my Forza, it came with a shorty.
So I got the AF Givi and what a difference. As long as you don't get one, you'll never miss it.
Once you get one, you see the difference that gap between the 2 parts make.
Like riding without a shield and you are happy. Then getting one you realize all that pressure on your face and chest when you go back without one.
There is another thing for many riders that can surprise you. With a good shield, you can hear more. That includes a lot of the little noises your scoot makes that you never noticed before.

One example:
I had a guy test drive my first Swing with the intentions of purchasing it. He heard the garage door opener rattle in the right pocket and came back complaining something was wrong with the bike and refused to consider it any more.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Welcome   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 pm

I have been using the GIVI Airflow windshield for many years now and I would not trade it for any other one
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 pm

When I got my 08 SWing just over 4 years ago it had a Clearview XL on it. It's still on it and seems to work pretty well for me. That being said, if/when I do need a new shield I will more than likely spring for a GIVI AF214 Adjustable.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 1:40 am

Thank you Pastor Ron. This is starting to lean towards the Givi. Honda-1 Givi-3
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 am

Thank you Dale N. After this input and watching Silverwing ride videos on Bing this is beginning to turn into a landslide. Honda-1 Givi-4 It seems to me at this point that my next shield should be a Givi.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 am

I don't think you need a poll, if you're happy riding behind the OE screen then you have no reason to change it. I made the decision to junk mine within the first couple of hundred miles, but I've also changed the OE screen on every other maxi scooter I've owned.

The Airflow maybe a popular choice for forum members, although I have noticed that the vast majority of used Silver Wings for sale online here in the UK still have the stock Honda screen.

Looking at one popular website where there's currently 22 offered for sale, only 3 are fitted with the Givi Airflow.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 7:54 am

Yes I have been very happy with my OE windshield but have never had a chance to try a Givi. Why did you change yours? Does the Givi deflect wind more efficiently or what?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 8:25 am

Carolina, as stated above if your OEM shield works stick with it. They are well built so no problem. I switched to a Cee Bailey because the Honda was too short. Givi units are popular on here but they are spendy. Do a search and you will see the good and bad. Personally I could not see paying twice as much for an adjustable unit. Once set properly I never move the shield (my Goldwing has an adjustable unit). So stick with what works for you! Ride on...
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 am

Carolina, No sense spending money on something that's not needed right now. Like Glenn said, if it works for you stick with it. I don't have a GIVI on mine and like what I have. Until it breaks or becomes so scratched it's not usable anymore then I'll worry about putting a new one on. Right now I'm happy with my Clearview XL. It works for me.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks to each and every one of you for your informed advice. I will keep my OE shield until it just cannot be used anymore and then look into every option that was suggested. It is so nice to have access to other Silverwing rider's experiences.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am

Ok I read all the BS on this windshield and went and ordered one. So seeing I am old retired and poor you guys could send some money my way to help pay for it.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: windshield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am

Which one did you buy? Don't worry.....just send me the bill.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 am

I got the Givi 214 adjustable one.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 am

Poor huh? Sure will be looking forward to hearing how you like it after you've had time to try it out. Congratulations ItBeMe....you poor old thing.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 am

SilverWing/windshields. If stock works for you, stick with it----but those of us who have had experience with other bikes/windshields, know stock ain't much good.

Riding since 1955, in all weathers, I would really like to ride with no windshield.....but just doesn't work for me---really miseable in cold/rain/sleet, etc. I am lucky early spring 1959 got Heinrich shield and leg shields for my BMW R51/3.....this comfort kept me riding bikes----and set up used as basic point for other combos---most do not live up to this. For SilverWing I tried Clearview/Cee Baily (now out of bike windshields) maybe others...all money down the drain.

Buffeting is what drives me nuts on long rides.....Givi AF adjustable on SilverWing works ok. Also had them on 2 new Burgman 400's.

Current CB300F, ended up with Puig touring II---works because nose is close to tip of shield.

And for all bike/scooter windshields---planning on living? You need to look over...my case I like to see what I might hit----this year 2018, already ridden in cold/rain/snow fall /fog and the dirt of the SW US, all looking over.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 11:52 am

Thank you John. I, too, want to see what I'm going to hit. I need to try to find a way to ride a few machines with different shields on them but I think different bikes are going to have different seat heights...oh well. I think you offer good advice on the Givi adjustable and when the time comes it is way up on the list. I used to love riding "in the wind" but didn't realize how much energy the buffeting was draining out of me pushing back on me all day until I started riding the Silverwing. Riding with a backrest and windshield is the way to go..........in comfort.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 3:42 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
My Silverwing has it's OEM windshield still on it and I have been very happy with it so far. This is the first bike I have ever owned fitted with a windshield and I never really want another bike without a windshield after getting used to it. I see more and more Silverwings fitted with what I think is known as a Givi windshield. Some I've seen actually have another smaller shield attached at the top as well. In your opinion is one really any better than the other or is it just a financial decision? Your input, as always, will be appreciated.

The one piece Givi Shield and it's special mounting kit transforms the Silverwing into a smoother, No Buffeting business machine.

This windshield improves the air flow around the bike like no other, The Silverwing remains very stable at speed. Ninety or a hundred are very comfortable and the bike feels glued to the road surface.

I recommend this as the best one piece shield on the Silverwing. This great Givi one piece shield allows the rider to wear his Colt Baseball cap at an indicated one hundred without worrying about it blowing off.

The One piece Givi truly makes the Silverwing an Interstate Business Machine.

The bullet proof engine allow this performance all day without worry about the engine,

Only draw back at these speeds is the Hour and fifteen minute pit for fuel, No other concerns.

Happy motoring
Lloyd 193
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 pm

It is overwhelming.........Givi for a replacement is eminent. Thank everyone for the insightful advice.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 5:47 pm

lloyd193 wrote:

The one piece Givi Shield and it's special mounting kit transforms the Silverwing into a smoother, No Buffeting business machine.

This windshield improves the air flow around the bike like no other, The Silverwing remains very stable at speed. Ninety or a hundred are very comfortable and the bike feels glued to the road surface.

I recommend this as the best one piece shield on the Silverwing. This great Givi one piece shield allows the rider to wear his Colt Baseball cap at an indicated one hundred without worrying about it blowing off.

The One piece Givi truly makes the Silverwing an Interstate Business Machine.

The bullet proof engine allow this performance all day without worry about the engine,

Only draw back at these speeds is the Hour and fifteen minute pit for fuel, No other concerns.

Happy motoring
Lloyd 193

Wow, the baseball cap test might be the seller. Good point.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Givi adjustable you won't regret it.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 pm

But the Givi one piece is so high----you have to look thru it!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 6:50 pm

The fabled one piece Givi is the 214 DT, it doesn't suit everyone as it's 4" higher that the OE shield/screen and if you only need something like 1" to 2" extra to stop wind noise and buffeting, then it'll need cutting down.

Isn't that why popular US replacements for the Honda screen are the Clearview and to a lesser extent Cee Bailey, or Madstad, all are which come in different screen heights, or height adjustable.

I bought the Givi AF 214 Airflow simply because it was widely available, and as it was height adjustable, and I wouldn't have to cut it down. It works well on it's own and even better with the addition of a Wunderlich wind deflector.

Because most new members on here opt for the Airflow, there's little or no mention of other European screens like the MRA Variotouring that has a adjustable spoiler, or the French made Secdem, and Ermax screens.

Secdem in particular offers a high protection screen, and two different sizes of replacement standard screen.

While I'm happy with the Airflow, I've no desire to visit Fantasy Island and ride around at 100 miles a hour in baseball cap.  Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Mine came with a 214DT fitted, on a dry day it was fine, but the first time I rode in fine rain/mist it was horrible, I had to cut off 5" so I could look over the screen rather than through it, so when the oppertunity arose I changed it for an AF214, set the 'blade' height to what the cut down DT was & have been happy in all weathers since.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 9:16 pm

It is overwhelming.........Givi for a replacement is eminent. Thank everyone for the insightful advice.

Should you decide that any of the Plexi or Lexan screens need shortening, It is a very simple process.

After you have adjusted your seat height, Air Hawk etc. until you are satisfied with your seating position. I like looking a Half inch above the windshield.

Use 2" masking tape on the outside of the screen and carefully mark the contour you want on the masking tape. Do this with the screen on the bike, No need to take it off because you can't hold it as well as the bike can.

Once you have marked it, Use your hi speed metal cut off wheel, Or a fine tooth rotary saw blade being turned backward to cut the line. Cut one side about an inch or two, Then change sides, Bracing your arm on the windshield so that you do not slip. Return to the other side, Alternating.

Do not overheat the plastic, Once you have cut off the excess. Sand the radius with 80 grit progressing to finer grits. Then hose off all the cuttings and remove themasking tape.

If you do this correctly, It is an hour or an hour and a half job.

Happy motoring
Lloyd 193

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 3:01 am

Why do you think the Givi AF 214 Airflow adjustable and not the taller 214 DT is by far the most popular accessory fitted to the Silver Wing by forum members?

For a start, there's no cutting or sawing bits off it if it's too high, so there's no fear of cocking up a brand new out of the box screen by cutting it down.

Then using the Givi Airflow Installation Pictorial thoughtfully provided by JeffR (yes that JeffR! Smile) as the badly printed instructions from Givi were useless, fitting it for myself and countless other members was straightforward.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Why do you think the Givi AF 214 Airflow adjustable and not the taller 214 DT is by far the most popular accessory fitted to the Silver Wing by forum members?

For a start, there's no cutting or sawing bits off it if it's too high, so there's no fear of cocking up a brand new out of the box screen by cutting it down.

Then using the Givi Airflow Installation Pictorial thoughtfully provided by JeffR (yes that JeffR! Smile) as the badly printed instructions from Givi were useless, fitting it for myself and countless other members was straightforward.

I prefer the 214 High shield so that it can be fitted to the rider's height, Also it does not give the rider a bath during our afternoon storms because it is one piece. Carrying a small dish towel blocks the air vent below the windshield for a dry ride. Not to mention that the 214DT is a $100.00 less money.

Using the 214DT improves the Silverwing's handling like no other screen I have tried, Believe me I have installed them all and tested the results.

Happy motoring'Lloyd 193.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 4:11 pm

I don't get any rain coming through the gap between the upper and lower Aiflow screens either. I stuck on a length of self adhesive SAENG Stealth screen edging on there soon after buying it. It blocks and deflects rain droplets very efficiently.

As for the initial extra expense of purchasing an Airflow, the Wunderlich wind deflector mounted on top of it cost almost as much as the screen.

As it's infinitely adjustable for height and angle, I've found the perfect sweet spot and combined with screen height I can ride all day in wet weather without hardly ever having to clear rain drops of my visor. Moving my head out of the clear air into the windblast is usually sufficient.

However I doubt if the Airflow or any other screen has an effect on handling, I'm on a maxi scooter not a sports bike?
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shields   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 6:09 pm

This has been a very informative thread and thanks goes out to all of you. Although, at this point, I am still a little confused between the 2 Givi choices the main choice is clear....Givi.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 pm

I am still a little confused between the 2 Givi choices the main choice is clear....Givi.

Do yourself a favour bud, for a few extra dollars get the airflow & save yourself the added work of cutting down the tall screen to suit your personal height & riding position, while cutting down a screen can possibly be done without problem, should a problem occur you might well be looking at buying another.
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 7:17 pm

I agree this is a most informative topic. It appears there are 3 reasonable approaches for myself: the laminar lip (about $85), the Givi 214DT ($107 shipped from Cycle Gear), or Givi AF214 (about $241 shipped from Cycle Gear). Since I tend to ride somewhat locally, and have only toured on my Goldwing, I don't expect to do much riding in the rain or at night. I have made a decision that the best value, for me, is the Givi 214DT and have it on order. The laminar lip looks very interesting, and I was very tempted to go down that road, but some of the comments regarding the 214DT definitely swayed my choice. If I was a "hard core" touring rider, I think I would definitely have gone with the AF214. I have used several windscreens on my GL1500, and currently have the "Slipstreamer" installed on it. I usually tour in the summer and do very little riding after dark, but I have ridden ALL DAY LONG in steady rain. When you tour, you have to deal with what nature sends you, and carry the gear to cope with it. I've crossed the Rocky Mountains in July with below freezing temps and snow, and a few days later been in temps over 100 degrees in Idaho. You got to handle it all!
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Thank you The Bern and Thank you Jim. The willingness to share ideas is what keeps me on this site...probably more than I should be, but all the great talk is hard to resist.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 pm

I have had the stock screen, Clearview XL with vent, Givi and the Givi Airflow and hands down for me the Airflow was the best.  Givi asked me to write a review of the Givi Airflow for them if they provided me an AF.  They sent it to me and I did a long write up about it on this site.  The stock screen of course was way too short for me and so I tried out the Clearview XL with vent for my first screen.  It worked great but with the very early XL screens w/vent, it flexed too much at interstate speed.  So I went to the Givi standard screen and it worked well but I think I also had the Laminar Lip on it (I sit very high in the seat for someone only 6' tall).  After the Givi standard was the Givi AF and it was by far the best screen for me.

It gives a much better ride and gives the best air flow for the rider.  On hot & humid days you lower the screen for really nice airflow to your body.  On cooler days you just raise it as high as it goes.  It also did better with the water from what I experienced as well.  Like Meldrew, I never had water coming through the screen when I did get caught in the rain.  But the AF gave by far the smoothest ride and did much better when passing trucks on the interstate.  

I thought the Clearview XL was the 2nd best and far better than the Givi standard screen.  It seemed to provide a smoother airflow than the Givi standard.  But the early Clearview XL w/vents screens would flex for some people.  I seemed to have received one that had that flex.  But Clearview did fix that problem with the XL vent.  If I were to get another SWing I would put the AF on in a heartbeat.  I don't think I ever read that someone got rid of the AF because they didn't like it.  But most have went to the AF and really enjoyed it.  On hot days I would lower the screen and it gave a slight breeze to my body and it was also very smooth.  

I do think the Clearview XL gave slightly better protection when it rained, since it is a wider screen, but I just didn't ride a lot in the rain.  But it did seem to give a bit better protection in the rain.  The Laminar Lip is a good addition but gives a good improvement if you don't want to buy an aftermarket screen.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

I prefer the 214 High shield so that it can be fitted to the rider's height, Also it does not give the rider a bath during our afternoon storms because it is one piece. Carrying a small dish towel blocks the air vent below the windshield for a dry ride. Not to mention that the 214DT is a $100.00 less money.

Using the 214DT improves the Silverwing's handling like no other screen I have tried, Believe me I have installed them all and tested the results.

Happy motoring'Lloyd 193.

Well, Lloyd, you finally convinced me to go with the 214DT. I am planning to order one today. I don't think I will be disappointed. Thanks for all of your info, and all info from everyone else. I am sure either choice Givi would be a great replacement. I think the standard Honda screen, so far, has been the best that I have experienced, maybe because it has been such an improvement over so many of the other screens on my previous bikes. So now, I hope to take another step forward.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Get your saw ready.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 5:57 pm

bikehiker wrote:
Well, Lloyd, you finally convinced me to go with the  214DT. I am planning to order one today.  I don't think I will be disappointed.  Thanks for all of your info, and all info from everyone else.  I am sure either choice Givi would be a great replacement.  I think the standard Honda screen, so far, has been the best that I have experienced, maybe because it has been such an improvement over so many of the other screens on my previous bikes.  So now, I hope to take another step forward.  

During his short but controversial stay here Lloyd had some good suggestions. However the DT214 shield wasn't one of them. While there are a few dollars to be saved by purchasing the DT214 over the AF214 Air Flow Givi, in the opinion of most here, that would be false economy. YMMV

Tim
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Like Tim just posted...i'm surprised Lloyd thought the 214DT was the best screen.  I don't think he tried the AF at all.  I have probably experimented with the most number of screens and I thought the AF was by far the best.  I then thought the Clearview was better than the 214DT.  If it is money than I can understand why you choose the 214DT.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Like an oil discussion.
Everyone claims they tried multiple variations.
No one submits any form of documentation or proof.
Everyone so far insinuates their OPINION is proof the other is wrong.
It all comes down to personal preference.
And just because I prefer something different doesn't mean it is wrong.
Wrong for you doesn't mean wrong for me. Does everyone here wear the same size pants, shirts, have the same muscle mass and bmi?????
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Larry,

If you have read the site since day one you will read my reviews on all of the shields I have used. Givi even sent me an AF to write a review for Givi for the AF.  So i'm not sure what crap you are talking.  This is one reason I want to delete this site.  People like you piss me off.  

If you knew what you were talking about you would know of all the shields I have used and reviewed.  How many shields have you used?  And you only have 160 posts so it is not like you have added much to this site at all.  So maybe you should leave.  

I never said one was wrong but I have tried more shields than anyone here.  So keep it up and you're out.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 pm

I didn't realize one had to post repeats of previous reviews and increase post counts to be considered of any value. But, as you requested. I will leave.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 8:55 pm

You are gone.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 9:07 pm

I went with the DT a couple of years ago, and it WAS a great difference from OEM.
However, I had a real hard time looking over it in the rain, so I took the cut it to fit approach.
Because I was careful determining my optimum height, it worked perfect.....until I got an Air Hawk!

So, I cut the top 5 inches from the old OEM screen, bought a $25 Chinese Wonderlicht "copy" and tossed the styrene screen from that and shaped and installed the top of the OEM to the DT. It works perfectly, But I am pretty sure the AF with a real Wonderlicht would be much, much better.

My original decision was financial, as the $150 didn't seem to be worth it. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Next time, which won't come until I buy a low/no mileage '13 next year will be the DT....

...OR possibly a Madstad, which looks very good on paper. Does anyone here have any hands-on with one?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 7:10 am

Windshields, Maxi-scooter, real problem is your nose is too far from tip of screen, period. I spent money on Clearview/Cee Baily/Givi both fixed and adjustable-----the Adjustable on SilverWing is best based on my near 100,000 miles of SilverWing experience. Still not perfect but ok.

Something to consider....your seated height can vary a little from day to day....or your mood, ability to adjust screen up or down a little is nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honda Shield VS Givi Shield   Honda Shield VS Givi Shield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda Shield VS Givi Shield
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next