Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Greetings from a New Owner

Go down 
+5
Waspie
bigbird
honda_silver
jdeereanton
CorpJuris
9 posters
AuthorMessage
CorpJuris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-12-28

Greetings from a New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:16 am

Hello from Dallas, Texas. I have recently (a month ago) purchased a Hoonda Silver Wing, a 2008 model, which I have had the opportunity to actually ride only twice (the weather here has not been cooperative). I discovered this forum and thought it could be useful. I have a few queestions that you may be able to answer, but first, I just wanted to say hello. My user name is CorpJuris, and I look forward to making good friends here.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:20 am

CorpJuris,

Welcome to the forum - enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
CorpJuris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks. I have one initial question. Is there a way to start the Silver Wing without the use of the power starter, such as a kick-start or something like that? Can it be started if the battery runs down for some reason?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:37 am

There is not alternate method of starting that I know of.

The light under the seat can be a bug-a-boo. Do not leave the seat open unless you have removed the bulb or have installed a switchable light assembly.

The only course of action for starting if the battery has run down is to jump start or get a boost from another battery source.
Back to top Go down
CorpJuris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks, Dale. By the way, I'm Victor. That's exactly what I did, I got a boost from a car, the bike started right up, and I was off again. I think that it ran down because the bike cuts off when you put down the kickstand, and I forgot to turn off the switch. I've fully charged the battery now. To your knowledge, is there a way to allow the kickstand to be lowered without the bike cutting off? This is my 3rd scooter, but by far the largest, so it takes getting used to.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Welcome to the friendliest Silverwing forum. Please add yourselves (or post to be added) to the Silverwing600 Google Map https://www.silverwing600.com/t3322-silverwing600-google-map#30262

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:04 pm

CorpJuris wrote:
... To your knowledge, is there a way to allow the kickstand to be lowered without the bike cutting off? This is my 3rd scooter, but by far the largest, so it takes getting used to.

Funny you should ask. The erstwhile "bigbird" who is a guru on this site created a pictorial for doing just such a thing.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t2124-disabling-the-side-stand-safety-switch?highlight=side+stand

I used the search function and used the words "side stand" to get this result.

but read the full thread as bigbird has re-enabled the safety the switch for a reason...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:19 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi there Victor. As your finding, good advice and some seriously knowledgeable folk on here.

I have both my under seat light removed and the side stand micro-switch by passed. So far, in two years I haven't suffered as a result. Nor have I had a battery problem. (That may be due to my regime of always hooking the beast up to a battery conditioner when not in use.)

Look forward to hearing of your experiences. Any questions - just ask. Someone will point you in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 1:55 pm

CorpJuris wrote:
TI think that it ran down because the bike cuts off when you put down the kickstand, and I forgot to turn off the switch.

I never "turn off the switch" ... I just put the kickstand down.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Greetings from a New Owner 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Welcome Victor. As bigbird said, the search function at the top of the forum is your friend. Also the pictorials and the maintenance tips and; oh the whole forum is helpful. I'm in Garland and there are a number of S'Wing riders in this area. Enjoy the ride. small moped
Back to top Go down
CorpJuris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 3:20 pm

I appreciate you all. For now, I think I'll leave the kickstand cutoff in place until I am comfortable with the bike and and can remember to put the lickstand up without the "reminder". I havee finally discovered where the seat light is, but when I removed the cover, there was nothing there. It looks like a fuse connection, but I'm sure there is a special light bulb that's needed. Anyone know what bulb I should be looking for, and where, in the Dallas area, I might find one? This is a 2008 Silver Wing 600. Thanks to all of you, I'm delighted IO found this site.
Back to top Go down
CorpJuris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 3:27 pm

By the way, I've gone into Google and set my location on the map. Now I'm official!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 3:38 pm

CorpJuris wrote:
I havee finally discovered where the seat light is, but when I removed the cover, there was nothing there. It looks like a fuse connection, but I'm sure there is a special light bulb that's needed. Anyone know what bulb I should be looking for, and where, in the Dallas area, I might find one? This is a 2008 Silver Wing 600. Thanks to all of you, I'm delighted IO found this site.

The lamp is a bullet shaped thing, it has been so long since I removed it I cannot even remember the width of the thing!!!
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 4:34 pm

The owners manual has a list of bulb numbers if I remember correctly. If you plan on doing any of your own maintenance, a shop manual would be very useful as well.

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 4:56 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Festoon lamp, thats the name i couldn't remember!!!

Thanks Terry
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:20 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:27 pm

bigbird wrote:
Waspie wrote:
Festoon lamp, thats the name i couldn't remember!!!

Thanks Terry

Maybe tattoo it on your arm, Doug?
Or elsewhere? cheers

It's just age Terry!

I suspect I would have remembered around 3am. Laughing
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:35 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Right now it's a very worn 59 yo brain.

Way too much thinking in the past.
Back to top Go down
CorpJuris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Thank you, all. I have ordered the light, although now that you have advised me, I will be VERY careful about ensuring that the seat is fully closed and secured so that the light doesn't drain the battery. I'm also going to keep the battery hooked up to a trickle charge when not in use. We'll see how it works. Good to see seasoned veterans on this forum. Its nice to know that I'm not the only almost senior using this bike. A 57 year old brain is not substantially different from a 59 year old one. Thanks, guys.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:33 pm

Greetings from a New Owner Wttg

Welcome from Seattle!
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:49 am

Victor, Congrats on your new Swing.
A couple of thoughts;
1.) I replaced the trunk light fixture with an "on/off" switchable one (which is an Acura Car part). I don't have the part # but I think the whole unit is less that $30 U.S. The original fixture just "pops out" and the replacement "snaps in" to the trunk. Easy to do.
2.) I keep my Swing attached to a Battery Tender Jr. in my garage. It is always a pleasure to know it is charged whenever I am ready to ride. I use the "plug in" accessory attached to my battery posts (comes with the tender) to have an external port to plug into for power...so I don't have to open the trunk to hook it up!!
3.) A set of mirror extensions were also one of my best additions. They are very inexpensive (under $15) and allow you great rearward and sideward viewability. I strongly recommend then.
Enjoy your Swing in the coming New Year....billc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a New Owner   Greetings from a New Owner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings from a New Owner
Page 1 of 1