Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Greetings from another owner to be….

Go down 
+2
sonuvabug
Hondafan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hondafan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-09-19

Greetings from another owner to be…. Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 2:43 pm

Hi Everyone, thanks for accepting me. I am an ex- South African, we immigrated just over two months ago, and settled in Ankeny, IA.
I had to sell my previous bike in South Africa (Honda NC 700) due to a ciatic nerve problem, thought I would never ride again, but then I bought a small Kymco scooter just to feel the wind again. The ciatic nerve got heeled by the little Kymco, and I decided to do an upgrade once we have settled in the US.

I did a lot of reading about different scooter options and initially though I would go for a Burgman 400, Silverwing 400, or Majesty 400 - because I thought the Silwerwing 600 or Burgman 650 would be too heavy for me.
During the previous week I stumbled across a Burgman 650 at a local dealer, and realized the Burgman’s weight would not be too difficult for me to handle. I then made an appointment to have a look at a Silverwing 600 which actually has been sold already, and realized it would suit me perfectly. So I decided to buy a Swing 600 just after the upcoming winter.
For the time being I just need to buy another car, settle a bit more, start looking out for a nice SW 600, and try to survive our first winter in Iowa.

Once I’ve managed to find a nice Swing, I hope to find more owners to go for rides in our area.

Have a nice day.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks for your intro hondafan and welcome aboard the board. Just keep an eye on your marketplace and be patient. The right Silverwing will come along ... they always do.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Hello Hondafan. Welcome to the forum and welcome to the USA too. As Sonuvabug says, be patient. A good Silverwing will come along.

Oh, and good luck surviving the midwest winter too Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 8:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, we are here to help you!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2021 10:45 pm

Welcome Hondafan to the BEST SWing forum on the net. There's lots of info here with people ready and willing to help.
I don't know much about South Africa but isn't it warm down there all year? Your first winter might be a bit of a challenge with the snow and Ice. Just drive careful and leave enough stopping distance.
And Welcome to the USA!!
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 2:14 am

Welcome Hondafan to the SW 'family' 😏
Good luck in hunting for the right SW for you.
Greetings from The Netherlands
🙏🏻
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 2:34 am

Greeetings Hondafan. Welcome to the swing site. I recently joined as well, like you I did have a problem with my hip over the last 3 years. So decided to sell my bikes etc. Found a fantastic wing, couldnt be happier.

You will be amazed how good the swing is.

Once again welcome. Fireman.
Back to top Go down
Hondafan
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2021 10:05 am

Thanks, I appreciate the welcomes.

I always prefer to do services and repairs myself, so I will apreciate some advice in future.

I actally came from Durban, located on the east coast of South Africa. The narrow part along the cost line on that part of the country actually has a sub- tropical type of climate - with only mild weather conditions during winter. Night temperatures usually get a bit chilly during winter, but by mid day I was usually able to walk around in shorts.
Adapting to Iowa winters will obviously become a bit challenging - I was able to ride almost 365 days per year on motorcycles in the Durban area. My average riding on motorcycles was about 18K kms each year, so I can’t wait getting back on the saddle again.

Since we immigrated permanently my South African drivers and riding licences are only valid for a period of three months in Iowa. Since our arrival I got my ordinary Iowa drivers licence, Iowa motorcycle learners, and Iowa CLP (CDL, Class A) - so I should be completely mobile again in the near future. I obviously had to wait for my Social Security number before I was able to get anything locally.

Unfortunately I will not have proper shelter during winters for the Swing where we stay - so I already started looking for rental storage possibllities in our area. Hopefully I will be able to find a suitable place quite close.

Again, thanks for the welcomes - I really appreciate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from another owner to be….   Greetings from another owner to be…. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings from another owner to be….
Page 1 of 1