Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Advice please - New owner - heavy bike

Go down 
+3
jdeereanton
bigbird
ollya
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ollya
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Advice please - New owner - heavy bike Empty
PostSubject: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:45 am

Hi all,

Firstly just wanted to say thanks for all the great info on this forum.
Only had my SWing a few days and already found this place invaluable!

Anyway, I have a problem I can't find an answer to...
Basically my bike feels extremely heavy. Not to hold but when it's moving/rolling.
For example when pulling away it feels like it needs loads of power to get going.
Also when lifting off at about 50kph it slows down much faster than I would expect, almost like the breaks are on.

Now I'm comparing it to another scooter i've been riding which is a 2005 Piaggio 125cc so a much smaller lighter bike but I still think something is wrong.

The problem is i'm not sure where to start looking!
I've checked tyre pressures which are all fine.
Everything feels good when under power and moving but I can tell something is wrong.
Also the steering feels a little strange but I'm putting that being down to riding a different bike.

Any suggestions or ideas for things I can check would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Oliver
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:52 am

Oliver,

Welcome to the forum - enjoy the ride.

The bike is heavy so it does require a good bit of throttle to take off from a stop. Weight of the bike and the inherant inefficiencies of the drive line are the culprits.

Releasing the throttle while at speed will seem like the brakes are on as in fact the engine is acting as a brake and you are feeling a good bit of engine braking.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:52 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Welcome ollya.

It's been said but I will be boring and repeat it.

The Silver Wing IS a heavy machine and you cannot compare a 125 with a super scooter of the ilk of the mighty 'Wing'

The engine braking is considered a bonus when slowing down, consider it a saving on the cost of brake pads. I rarely use the brakes when slowing down. You will soon anticipate your braking and simply close the throttle when you want to reduce speed.

Get on the machine and take it for a few miles and you will soon start to appreciate the power and braking of one of the best super scooter ever built.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
ollya
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Dale, Bigbird & Doug,
Thanks for the reassurance, i definately feel like the problem's gone away already! Well ok not quite but at least i'm a little less worried.

I'll do as suggested and check the brakes, and will post back my findings

Thanks again for the quick responses!

What I might also do is find another SWing for sale at a local dealer and see if I can get a testdrive to compare ;-)
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Not to deadhorse but it WILL feel heavy. You went from one that's 258 pounds + you to 550 pounds + you. That's one hell of a weight upgrade. The engine braking just takes a little getting used to but it's a great way to shed speed w/out hitting the brakes.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 2:01 pm

just remember to keep it balanced and keep the handlebars straight as you stop or you might dump it -- and really learn how heavy it is as you try to pick it up.
from someone who has been there more than several times.

welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Advice please - New owner - heavy bike 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 3:29 pm

When checking the brakes, also make sure the parking brake is releasing fully. It doesn't go well with the parking brake engaged. Ask me how I know. Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 4:27 pm

+1 on the parking brake, it was the most difficult aspect to master when I came to the SWing from a bike !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - New owner - heavy bike   Advice please - New owner - heavy bike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice please - New owner - heavy bike
Page 1 of 1