Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?

Go down 
+7
lucian
bigbird
Meldrew
The Scootist
dspevack
Waspie
toolboxjesse
11 posters
AuthorMessage
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? Empty
PostSubject: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 am

So there's a girl I am acquainted with who knows I ride and she keeps asking if i could give her a ride sometime. She's somewhat heavy (I would guess at least 200 lbs on a short frame and I weigh at least 240 suited up- not sure if this exceeds the max weight of the bike).

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon. Any tips on how to manage the extra weight? I already have the spring pre-load set to the highest rating. Also what's the best way for her to mount on the seat? Should she sit on first while the bike is on the center stand or should I get on first and have her climb on behind me?

Any thing else constructive you could add would be appreciated. (yes I already know the joke...)

Jesse
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 9:35 am

Always found the best way for any pax to mount was to prepare before hand. Give them a good passenger brief prior to riding, talk about what you want them to do. Lean with you etc. Don't wave arms around and all the sensible stuff.

Then prepare bike.

Pax foot pegs out.

You get the bike off the stand and straddle the bike.

Next, allow the pax to mount the bike, one foot on left or right peg and swing other leg over and get them to sit.

Now, it the bike isn't already started, start and ride off and have a great time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:10 am

Thing is i don't think she will be able to get on behind me, and I don't know if I can support the weight of the bike while she is climbing on. I would appreciate any other suggestions.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:41 am

With the engine off, Put the passenger pegs down.
Now move to the front of the bike, so you are facing the rear of the bike with the front wheel tightly between your legs and your hands on the handlebars.

Have her put one leg over the center hump and stand in the driver's standing position, leaning back against the seat.

Then she needs to keep her weight centered and place one foot and then the other on the foot rests and slide backward into the drivers position.
Then slide her feet back to the rear of the drivers position. And move as far back as possible.
Then she can put her feet on the passenger pegs and lift herself up and backward into the pillion position.
Once she is settled and centered, you can move around to the side and mount as normal.

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 10:54 am

Methinks you will need a few dry runs/attempts at mounting/dismounting to establish what works for the both of you. She may elect to disregard the idea if simply getting on the bike is too difficult!

My thoughts about the use of the centre stand - it's a non starter for you. With the weight of the bike plus the passengers weight, you may struggle to get the bike off the centre stand. Don't wish to be rude, simply responding to the info you wrote.

I'm quite fortunate, my wife is 125lbs and is a superb passenger. Hence my comment ref falling asleep in my signature. She leans with the bike and I don't even realise she's there. That said, our very first ride was interesting as I had never myself ridden with a passenger and the difference in the weight increase took a few miles to get used to as did her getting on the bike.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 am

I am 6'5" and 250 lbs suited up. My wife is 5'10 and about 160 suited up. Even though she is a great passenger, the fact is that our combined weight of 410 lbs is more that the recommended maximum weight for the Swing (~375 lbs). The bike will tolerate the load (for the most part), but I do not recommend doing it a lot. I have the rear spings set on the maximum preload (#5) and we have still felt the suspension bottom out on bumps.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:06 am

There's been more advice since I started typing but, I was always aware of the extra weight of the passenger when Mrs M was getting on the back of my 650 Burgman, and onto a larger rear seat area too.. It's less of a problem with the lighter Silver Wing, but rider and passenger are closer together and dismounting from here could be a bigger problem for your friend than getting on especially if you have a top case fitted. So if she can't comfortably get on or dismount, or you think you'll drop the bike, don't take her. It won't be her paying for your cosmetic damage.

I'd also say have your side stand down as an extra left foot while she's getting on and off, and make sure there's no loose road chippings around for your boots to slide on. Waspie's also spot on about having a passenger briefing with your friend if she's inexperienced at pillion riding, and being gentler on the acceleration and braking stops that annoying smack on the back of your helmet from hers.

Have fun too!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lucian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 am

I am short, under 150lb. I had a situation when I had to transport a 6ft 250lb guy. Here is what I did. I transport a lot of heavy loads and odd shaped items on the back seat. ex: last was 150lbs/6ft long box on the back seat. Another time a 10ft metal pipe standing up, 10x20lbs boxes with frozen meat ...I think I can justify buying a trailer : )

- Highest octane is a MUST. I may be wrong but I can swear on the SHELL gas. I have used Chevron for the first 5000 miles. As soon as I switched ... oh my .. is like a different bike....or maybe is just me. I do the same if I drive a car and I pull a heavy load. If you want to add a speed booster, I had the best experience with the SeaFoam. I tried the other but it mostly "chocked" the bike.

- bike off
- prepare the foot pegs
- may adjust the suspension to a harder setting because it my bottom out from the weight.
- keep the bike as straight as possible.
- spread your legs to get a solid base
- mounting and mounting = MUST apply and hold both handle brakes
- stop lights / signs = MUST apply and hold both handle brakes
- your passenger must be able to climb fairly quick
- (not trying to be funny) think like you are driving large vehicle with trailer. Or imagine what you will do if dragging by the string a toy car around your living room furniture. Your mind set: slow, wide and careful.
- drive slow, going over 60 mph ... I personally won't do that.
- do not lean to much. you can't correct errors that fast.
- take your time to stop
- going up the hill : if you anticipate a steep hill increase the speed a little. While going up, if possible, don't accelerate the bike to maintain speed, let it die down a little. Let it climb, on it's own towards the top. After you pass the top resume speed. Your bike will be more happy.
- ALWAYS apply brakes in straight line.

Talking about "up the hill", here is a link to an article about some dear friends of mine. I am not trying to scare you. They had helmets, riding gear. Two adults traveling on bike going 60mph towards a "head on". He did put the bike down, but they had to much momentum.

http://northlaketravislog.com/2011/05/02/two-die-in-motorcycle-accident/

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 am

Lucian, the link was so similar to a friend of mine's accident. He came upon a U-tuning German tourist in a VW camper van.

They collided and my friend the M/C rider went right through the VW side windows. One side to the other. Fortunately he lived but eight years on he still has no recollection. The tourist was deemed to be totally responsible for the incident. (Compensation pending)
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I gotta find another 98 pounder who loves to ride!
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Personally if I was you and if possible, I would dirll this a few times with a lighter passenger. It seems to me that pushing the bike off the center stand with a heavy passenger is not easy and require some effort. If you are strong enough you can do it of course, but if you are not then the use of the side stand would be best.

If you try with a lighter passenger you can see what the best technique is for you.

Personally, if the person cannot lift the leg over the back seat of if you have a back trunk, I would try the following:

1. Put the bike on solid non slippery ground on the side stand.
2. put down the passenger pegs, both of them.
3. Hop on the bike but don't sit. stand with both feet on the grown and lean over the handlebar as much as possible and hang onto the handle bar so that the bike does not tip over the other side.
4. Have the passenger get on the front seat sliding her foot/leg right behind you in front of the seat as possible.
5. once in position have her slide back to to the back seat.

Or you can try one of the above methods and see what is best for you.

Again, I would drill these a few times with a lighter passenger until you are confident of your moves whichever technique you prefer. One can do it with any of them, but each one might have a different preference or find one easier then the other. Practice is the key in my opinion.

And yes, the briefing of the passenger as to what you want and need is a good way to establish a good agreement and hopefully enough knowledge to make the ride safest. Of course you might need to test ride a bit too and see if anything needs to be refined, changed or perfected. Since people rider differently and have different techniques, what one does might be different from what another one would do. I think that if the passenger can smoothly follow and copy the same movements of your body, without jerks or sudden moves, you will be able to work out a nice smooth rider two up.

Yes, the most important thing is the you have fun and ride safely.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Carrying and the mounting of passenger isn't problem....but exceeding max. Carrying capacity is.

Funny.....many modern bikes do not have great total load capacity, including GoldWing. Tire failures @60mph ain't fun. Old 2 stroke Vespas used to have one of the biggest load limits in the business
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:30 pm

toolboxjesse wrote:
Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I gotta find another 98 pounder who loves to ride!

Im glad you said that, my tongue is hemorrhaging from biting it!

Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? Fatchickscooter
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 4:35 am

Buy her a 'liposuction voucher' and a bikini five sizes too small. Then go look for that 98 pounder. Problem solved. affraid

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 5:09 am

Tagg wrote:
toolboxjesse wrote:

Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? Fatchickscooter

rolling laughter rolling laughter rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
lucian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 5:38 am

If you can't talk your way out of it and you must to take your friend for a ride... how about a sidecar ? It looks safer.

Whatever you do, don't mention this forum. I don't think anybody here is mean spirited. But you will never know the state of mind of the other person. It can hurt really bad. The last words you may hear before your friend is slashing up you tires : Ohhhh noooo, you didn't !!!

Unless your friend is really, really, really funny... it may end up being the best thing that ever happened to you.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?   Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 am

[quote="Tagg"]
toolboxjesse wrote:

I miss that girl- she was a pain in the ass 95% of the time but she was a great passenger.
Back to top Go down

Any tips on riding with a heavy passenger?
Page 1 of 1