Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Today at 10:11 am

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

V belt light wont turn off

Go down 
+3
MikeO
tarmacburner2
ron1999
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ron1999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ron1999

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-02-12

aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off Empty
PostSubject: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 6:22 am

Hi all
regards from my Israeli 400cc Silverwing Smile
this week i got it spoiled with a new v belt, wights and roller guides.
replacing the whole thing took me an hour, mostly cause i needed to figure out a way to lock the drive face

but this is where i come to my question:
i looked around and read that to reset the v belt counter i should do the following:

1. turn the ignition off
2. press both buttons on the scooter's display
3. hold the buttons pressed and turn the ignition on
4. keep holding the buttons until the v belt indicator starts to blink
5. release both buttons

so this is what i did -
and it really turn off the v belt indicator from my display panel, but, after a short drive with my SW, it lit back on.
i noticed that if i drive it gentle - it will remain off for a long period of time, but if i use the throttle and speed above 140-150KPH, it lit back right as i reach those speeds.

is there something im doing wrong?
is there another way to reset the v belt indicator?

my scooter is a 2006 SW 400.

comments are appreciated Smile

Ron
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 7:41 am

I have the same problem. (But not all the time!). The light comes on when the computer detects something outside the 'normal' parameters.

Run at motorway speeds and the light come on, however last night on the motorway, running an indicated 95 mph and the light never appeared.

I put mine down to the fact I have a J Costa Variator installed and the computer doesn't like non-Honda parts.

Basically it is a case of you know how to turn the light off so just live with it.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
ron1999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ron1999

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 7:54 am

Hi
thanks for the answer Smile

some local mechanic suggested that since my SW is 400cc and the belt rollers and weights i used was a 600cc it could cause such thing to happen.

i guess i will have to live with it...

btw
i just got back from England this week, went to Bestival festival on the isle of wight.
Some nice country you have there Smile great ppl

Ron.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:18 am

went to Bestival festival on the isle of wight.
Some nice country you have there

Indeed but the traffic queues were awful - I was on the island last week just before the festival started with a couple of scootering friends.

I love the IOW. Smile
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Ok, so tonight I was driving home with only 15,600 miles on the clock and have not changed anything in the drive train when my light came on!

I have not tried to reset it yet, but is this a way the on computer is telling me it is time to change the belt?

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm sitting in a hotel in SE England having ridden most of the way with the v-belt light on - it came on as it should at 24,000KM.

I had the belt changed early a couple of months ago; can someone confirm the proceedure in Post 1 of this thread, please - I haven't brought the hand-book with me.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:17 pm

1. press both buttons on the scooter's display
2. hold the buttons pressed and turn the ignition on
3. keep holding the buttons until the v belt indicator starts to blink, (5 seconds)
4. release both buttons, check the indicator light goes off.

Mike, the above is an extract from the Wing Service manual, 2002 to 2010.

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks, Doug.
I should have brought the handbook. Embarassed

Glad you're back.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 2:00 pm

MikeO wrote:
I should have brought the handbook. :oops

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1550-on-line-owners-manual#12764
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks, Bill.
My excuse is that I was totally knackered last night* and forgot** there were manuals here. Embarassed

*True
** An 'Age Thing'.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am

Fortunately I do not seem to have one of those SWings where the V light stays on or otherwise comes on periodically - but if I did (and I could not figure a way to get it to stay off when it is supposed to be off) I think that I would just take the bulb out (or figure some way to de-energize this V light) as the V light has (IMHO) very little utility (I think) other than as a 'maintenance reminder' - and there are quite a lot of important (some much more important) maintenance items that we need to remember/track manually - so why not just add the V belt check to the list and forget the light.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 7:55 am

Dimond, it is a simple reset process. The light comes on if the belt gets below limits. OR, if the garage or person who last changed the belt failed to reset the belt indicator. I think we may have read too much into the light coming on.

No need for any-one to get 'all technical' and over maintain an already simple procedure in my opinion.

Mike's original post was simply due him being away from his handbook if I read the thread correctly. Will go stand in the naughty corner if I have misread it!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 am

Absolutely correct, Doug!

I was bowling down the E40 from Bruges to Calais to catch the Shuttle when the light came on.
There was sinking of heart until I glanced at the odometer which, as I said, had just ticked over to 24,000KMs.
Heart ceased to sink!

As an aside and with regard to the Shuttle: it's possible to gauge how quick the crossing is by the fairly obvious movement over points where the two crossovers are, roughly at one- and two-thirds of the way across.
When the steward came past I remarked that we seemed to be making good progress, to which she replied that for the time-being the trains were doing 160KPH instead of the usual 140.
That's 100MPH!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: V belt light wont turn off   aftermarket  oem belt - V belt light wont turn off I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

V belt light wont turn off
Page 1 of 1