Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214

Go down 
+6
Mech 1 twa
DickO
GHM-PM
JohnyC
Illinoischeryl
Sonnyle
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Sonnyle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2022-07-29

Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 Empty
PostSubject: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2022 7:34 pm

Hello folks! Was hoping to catch the attention of vertically challenged Silverwing riders regarding the height of the Givi Airflow AF214 windshield.

I am a new Silverwing owner, 5'4" in height. I found that the OEM Honda windshield was too high and I had to stretch to look over the top. I purchased a new Airflow AF214 which I installed today. I measured both windshield's and the AF214 in the lowest setting, is quite a few inches shorter, yet when riding it with the top screen in the lowest position, I found that I am still having to stretch to look over it. When I ride normally, my eyes are looking into the screen about 2" below the top. If I stretch my body, I can see over the top reasonably comfortably.

Do any other shorter riders have the same issues and if so, how did you solve it?

Thank you very much!
Back to top Go down
Illinoischeryl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2023 11:00 pm

How are you 5'4" and able to ride a Silverwing AND touch the ground safely. I am assuming it is a 1983 and not some other Silverwing.
I cannot touch the ground safely and I am just a hair shorter than 5'4"
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 5:04 am

Hi folks.
I could be wrong but I believe the idea of a windscreen on a scooter is so you can look through it and not get either wet when raining or wind buffeting @ highway speeds.
I am 6' 4" and have to crouch down to get the benefits of a screen protection when the weathers bad.
If you want a face full of cold and wet just leave the top section off your AF214.
Just my thoughts and not an excuse for a bun fight.

Hope this helps

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 7:50 am

My thought is that I was always told the efficient way is to look over the windshield slightly, allowing you the opportunity to duck behind as needed. The stock windshield was way too short so I ordered a custom unit measured to my specs. It has worked fantastically since 2015. My Forza got a new Givi unit (fixed) and that fits the same. My Goldwing is adjustable and is set the same. My preference, I guess it is subjective so whatever works. There are posts on here about people cutting down their windshield to attain a workable solution.

As to the height, people have different inseams so even at 5'4 someone may have no problems. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 2:04 pm

It's been a long time since I replaced my windshield with the GIVI AF214 (non-adjustable-standard-tall ??)... but I have to agree with "JohnyC" in that I wanted that extra height for a reason... at five feet eight inches, the higher shield provided me with the protection I needed... only once or twice out on a backroad low area did I run into fog where I was still able to stretch high enough to see over the top if absolutely needed...
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 10:10 pm

JohnyC wrote:
Hi folks.
I could be wrong but I believe the idea of a windscreen on a scooter is so you can look through it and not get either wet when raining or wind buffeting @ highway speeds.
I am 6' 4" and have to crouch down to get the benefits of a screen protection when the weathers bad.
If you want a face full of cold and wet just leave the top section off your AF214.
Just my thoughts and not an excuse for a bun fight.

Hope this helps

Be safe, be seen!

I really don't understand the looking over the screen thing? It might annoy you at first but in time it won't just a normal thing to adjust to like a helmet visor half cracked or rain on it. Look ahead and your brain will soon adjust and you won't see it.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 4:56 am

I am one of those shorter riders and the Givi 214 was the only answer. Why?
I often ride in the dark, mist and rain. With a longer screen I could see nothing of where I was going with headlights crazing off raindrops on the windscreen. Or the windscreen all fogged up in the morning.
I have to have a screen I can see over, but the design is such that wind and rain are blown right over my helmet.
The adjustable Givi is just right on it's lowest setting, but can be cranked up for a man on the same bike.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 7:46 am

The subject of screen/shield height is a topic that's been much discussed over the years. I've just been digging through old posts, read a load of them including my own views which are naturally correct. Smile

The OE Honda screen is rubbish, the taller Givi screen can be OK for some, while others realise it's far too high and are wanting tips on how to cut a few inches off. That leaves the majority fitting the Airflow.

I liked the Airflow despite the fact I had two top sections jettison at speed, which pissed me off at the time, the first one hitting my helmet and ripping the top air scoop of my Schuberth J1. It caused a bit of hysteria on here too from owners thinking it would also happen to them, it didn't.

But I digress, I'm really replying to a comment that it's fine to look through a screen, so why would you look over it. Try looking through your screen next time it's sheeting it down with rain on a freeway, or peering through it at nighttime with the headlights of oncoming traffic dazzling you, and myriad tiny scratches on the screen distorting your vision.

Still not convinced, try looking through the screen when it's raining at nighttime in traffic, when it's snowing, or with a film of road crap on the screen.

I also remember the tall Secdem screen I had on a 650 Burgman, being electrically height adjustable I could raise it so I was looking through it, although I never did. My abiding memory of that screen was riding for about 20 miles through a part of Holland that was notorious for crosswinds. With that tall screen the lardass Suzuki wallowed around like a roller blading hippo.

Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 2:07 pm

Going back a lot of years, I've been riding bikes since 1965 at the age of 16 and my first 10 years of employment was as a motorcycle mechanic. Back in the day we used to fit many types of windscreen to many different types of bike and I was taught from the beginning that the top of the screen should be in line with your nose so that you can just look over the screen and not through it. It worked for me for many years.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2023 7:19 am

I quite pity anyone that's had to ride a motorcycle or maxi scooter here in the Miami, Delray Beach, Boca Raton area of Florida in the last three days as it's been raining constantly.

We've had to crank up the windshield wipers of our hire car up to max to cope with the rain, there's been serious surface water on the roads, so anyone daft enough to be out on two wheels peering through a windshield instead of over it ( and that would have been difficult too ) could be mistaken for having a death wish.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2023 7:35 am

This is another subjective topic! I guess do whatever strikes YOUR fancy, a lot of ideas on here so pick yours LOL.

Or buy a new Harley with a 2-3 inch high windshield! I always wondered what is the point??? Might as well not have a windscreen! Haha. Kinda like my original Forza unit, it didn't last long...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2023 8:23 am

I can't help but think of BrianInVa heading for Florida towing his camping trailer. He had a lucky escape from the deer strike a few days ago, and if this rainy weather is typical for the time of year, camping isn't going to be much fun.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2023 2:42 pm

Looking through vs. looking over your windscreen IS NOT a subjective thing. Your normal riding line of sight should be OVER the windscreen ... not through it. Terrier's description (read above) captures it quite well.

As Meldrew describes, trying to look THROUGH a windscreen in rain, fog, snow, during nighttime or through environmental grime etc. is hazardous and could cost you dearly.

If your windscreen is too high to comfortably see over it when in your normal riding position, it can be trimmed down lower.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214   Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for shorter swingers about Airflow AF214
Page 1 of 1