Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stucked throttle?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

Stucked throttle? Empty
PostSubject: Stucked throttle?   Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 5:54 am

Yesterday i had the second time a strange throttle behavior:
It was cold ~0°C but i think that it was not frozen!
I only can accelerate a little bit more than Idle speed because of the stucked throttle. It was only enough for 30km/h (i think something about 20mph) with cold engine and it slowed down to 20km/h (~15mph) with warm engine. With more force i was able to accelerate up to 50km/h (~35mph)
Then i turned the throttle in the wrong direction (with a little bit force a little bit more than idle) and after this i had normal ops of my throttle without any high force!

Have someone an idea whats the reason for this behavior?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Stucked throttle? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stucked throttle?   Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:00 am

Is it possible that the grip was rubbing or binding against the bar end vibration damper? I've seen this happen before, but usually only after the bike has been transported and the straps were wrapped around the grip, pulling it outward.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Stucked throttle? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stucked throttle?   Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:08 am

The previous owner installed other grips so that there are no vibration dampers installed anymore...

I also suspected the grip but i had this 2 times only with cold wheater. At 2pm with "warm" wheater (~5°C) i had no problems, parked the scooter and at 11pm i want to ride home with "cold" wheater (~0°C) and had this problem. After this at the next day everything ok again...

I think it is realy caused by the temperature but i'm wondering that it is not all the time if it is cold. Many other times with temp ~0°C i don't had any problems...
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Stucked throttle? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stucked throttle?   Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:21 am

It just takes some condensation somewhere to freeze the cables. Any water in the lines would freeze up even after you ride as the cable part that is frozen could be the bit in the airstream chilling it further.

Next time try a hair dryer and move it gently around the throttle assy and exposed cable.
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Stucked throttle? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stucked throttle?   Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:42 am

But why it stuckes very serious if i want to accelerate and if i turn the grip in wrong direction it works after this without any problems, high force or anything else?
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Stucked throttle? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stucked throttle?   Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 7:30 am

Sounds to me a that you may very well have a worn cable, Honda always use the 'push me - pull you' system of two cables to ensure that in the event of failure you can always close the throttle.

It doesn't take very much for the cable to wear somewhere inside the sheathing and become 'sticky'.

It's also possible that somebody in the past has tried to lubricate the cable with a hydraulic lubricator (which forces lub down the casing), the problem with this is most lub oils (WD40 etc.) make the nylon liner swell causing the inner cable to bind. Just a thought.

If its an issue then I'd take it off and double check it for operation, replacing it if I thought it was going to impede my riding.
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Stucked throttle? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stucked throttle?   Stucked throttle? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 am

I think it is a shitty work to change the cables because of removal of many tupperware...
The next days if i'm feeling better (i'm a little bit sick) i will check the ends of the cable and if there are nothing to see i will observe it.

Btw have someone the Service manual in a good digital quality? I'm looking for it but only found a ebook in bad quality (in german, but i also will take it in english)
Back to top Go down

Stucked throttle?
Page 1 of 1