Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A BMW competitor for the SilverWing

Go down 
+6
john grinsel
MikeO
Waspie
Sweendog
DickO
pja
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

A BMW competitor for the SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Another news item from Scooter-station.com (original in French)

A BMW competitor for the SilverWing 094f96d01301d63fc367702abff96ab3

BMW Concept C: The anti-TMAX come to Berlin

Keywords from the article: BMW - Prototype - Milan Fair

We waited for several years and is currently a prototype unveiled in Milan. But behind the BMW Concept C, why not see the future and dangerous competitor of the Yamaha T-Max? First info on the new German Maxiscooter.

Once again, BMW is innovative. In 2009, the Bavarian landed on the motorcycle segment Hypersport S1000RR with a new machine that would upset the established order. Japanese on land, it has since established its place, with a powerful engine and a lot of technology around. Like what, where BMW is investing in a sector, it is seldom make up the numbers.

In our niche of choice from Scooter-station.com, where scooters are king drive, BMW has already marked the spirits with his C1, the only time to have a protective cell type car with a roof "hard" and to allow seat belts to ride without a helmet. A revolution at the time, probably too far ahead of its time. Today, with the Concept C unveiled in Milan, the German brand launches this time on the maxi scooter segment with strong arguments, again strong. From the first glance landed on this magnificent machine, one is left dumbfounded at such a riot of sportsmanship. If for the moment, everything is a concept as its name suggests, the mark does not hide his desire to produce very quickly two maxiscooters Premium equipped engines. A future family that will enrich BMW ad with a model powered by an electric motor.

C as Commuter

Resolutely turned towards the future, Maxiscooter Concept C promises to offer a new approach to urban transport. The tone is sporty. BMW Motorrad style identified with the first glance is placed on aggressive facies bearing the "split face", that famous view subdivision into three parts. Concept C also dons a front spoiler "type twin tip" and higher, a small wind deflector style "speed-ster" which also highlights the dynamic lines of the prototype. Behind this facies catchy, the lines of the body are slightly upward. The rear seat seems very welcoming and stepped to the driver as his passenger. The command post is particularly interesting. Ergonomics and layout elements are very similar to what we can see on the Yamaha TMAX. Here, however, requires high-tech concept, BMW has opted for an all-digital counter, particularly comprehensive and visually flawless. We remain stunned at all the modernity, like mirrors, screens included on this panel. Using two video cameras embedded in the rear, they offer a perfect rear view (at least in appearance).

Chassis and powertrains

Noted for its style and materials used, the maxi BMW also holds our attention through the technical solutions used. They are distinguished primarily in terms of chassis particularly promising. Behind, a swing arm shaft is positioned a hollow damper side. At the front, there is a fork with two inverted brake calipers radial attachment. A large disk is attached to the rear wheel and the whole is of course associated with BMW Motorrad ABS system has proven itself in the motorcycle segment. Note also the original design of the tires. Mechanical side, evokes a BMW twin, which is quite natural for the brand. With the cylinder, this engine is mated to a continuously variable transmission CVT type. However, we have no information about the capacity or power of the machine. BMW announced that the naturally-road performance will be among the best in the segment (logical!). Whoever he may be, it is clear that the German brand will fail to start by this niche without first treated his model. Scooter-Station.com is sure to keep you informed (e) the development of this concept for the less spectacular.

A BMW competitor for the SilverWing BMW-Concept%20C2

Now that's interesting! Question

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Why do I already know I couldn't afford one ? ?
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 12:38 am

DickO wrote:
Why do I already know I couldn't afford one ? ?

For the same reason I already know I want one! ;-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 5:12 am

This looks interesting. But I see a few problems. For me. 1st, for everyone. You're gonna get stopped cause there is no visible rear view mirror. Sure. Once the officer sees that you have 'em in the form of cameras, he's probably going to chuckle and shake his head. "Very interesting. Ride safe sir."

Now. For me, I want a touring machine that I don't have to shift. Around town is good, but I like long distance rides as well. I can't afford 2 motorcycles so the one I buy has to fit both touring and commute. This is obviously not a touring machine, like the S'wing or Burgie. Notice the windscreen.

It is intriguing, though.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 5:35 am

Bit wary of this bike. There is a designer who regularly posts his concept plans on 'euro' sites in the hope someone will give him a job.

Have seen several variant BMW concept plans over the last few years and when they have been checked out BMW have denied all of them. So until I see the bike on a BMW stand at a show I will reserve judgement!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 6:31 am

I think this one is genuine, Doug:

http://bmw.tv/com/article/BMW+Motorrad.+BMW+Concept+C./Motorcycles/video.do?articleID=9419&spaceID=2&channelID=6
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: BMW   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 am

As BMW owner since 1958----I wonder.

If it can carry stuff, weighs less than 400 lbs, costs @ around $5,000 and can be ridden with open face helmet in rain, easy remove wheels......ok.

But if it brings the usual German extra complicated stuff, questionable electrics and of course in the US, few dealers. then??????

Looks to me a discounted, left over TMAX just as good---I had one, but it too is complicated.

BMW has had one scooter flop in recent years....and they had that put together in Italy.

John Grinsel Also I look at scooter as scooter, not sub. for real motorcycle. If you are really working traffic hard--Tokyo/Paris/LA/Seoul-----too big.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 12:01 pm

BMW scooter.

$5,000.

Are you sure you are a BMW owner?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Cycle World and Motorcycle USA both have this bike on their web sites.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 2:20 pm

WOW............need down payment for new BMW..........03 SW for sale$2500 with trailer..............oops.......... drooled on the keyboard! Jeff.
Back to top Go down
jimmyjohn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-10-30

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I think it's haliarious that they do not include the rearview mirrors on the BMW TV video or the photos, because it probably doesn't look sexy. But, it does change my view of BMW's and it has my attention!

Just noticed the Swing photo at top of forum has no rear views either. I must just be naive.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 5:47 pm

MikeO wrote:
I think this one is genuine, Doug:

http://bmw.tv/com/article/BMW+Motorrad.+BMW+Concept+C./Motorcycles/video.do?articleID=9419&spaceID=2&channelID=6

Maybe that wannabee designer kicked BMW into actually producing a scooter then!!!!

If they do get it into production it will be good. Just hope it does better than the C1! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 6:47 pm

I wonder who makes the tires, and what size they are? They look like 14" or maybe 15" tires. It's a funky looking thing, if it is actually manufactured, I'd love to try it out.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Maybe I missed something...
Which robot does this transform into again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 9:35 pm

My new car is made by BMW and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. I'm just very skeptical about how "competitively" priced it would be.
Back to top Go down
jimmyjohn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-10-30

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm

I have a theory about BMW (automobile) drivers, but there are exceptions & you are probably one of them. Then again, maybe it just applies to Southern California BMW drivers that are under 30.
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 11:48 pm

jimmyjohn wrote:
I think it's haliarious that they do not include the rearview mirrors...

It's a concept at this stage. I think the "production" version will come without some of the "glitter".

Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: new scooter   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:02 am

Nobody noticed.....no centerstand? Bike impossible without one.

Somebody questioned if I was BMW owner----yes, bad exchange rate makes them even more expensive------and over rated....just got rid of my wife's 07 coupe as the warranty was running out----not my idea to buy---no jack, spare, dipstick among other things----Once I put 56,000 miles in a year
on my BMW R80RT in Germany, using it on my job and for pleasure. Lots of trouble, 4 times broken luggage racks, loads of electrial problems, broken frame, front fork lower leg cracked------their answer....I rode too much. In US looking for dealer pain. I still have one BMW (R-27) in ex-girlfriend's basement----worst piece of crap I ever bought (1961) went thru 4 engines and 2 transmissions in the first 10,000 miles. So think before thinking BMW. Once their twins, in 50's and early 60's were probably best available.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 am

jimmyjohn wrote:
I have a theory about BMW (automobile) drivers, but there are exceptions & you are probably one of them. Then again, maybe it just applies to Southern California BMW drivers that are under 30.
I recognize this is a diversion, but...

BMW advert tag: "The Ultimate Driving Machine."
Legal disclaimer (spoken in fast announcer voice): "Ultimate driver sold seperately."

Back on topic, sort of -
john grinsel wrote:
Nobody noticed.....no centerstand? Bike impossible without one.
Advertising photos rarely show clutter, ie. mirrors, side stand, center stand, etc. No mirrors have ever appeared in the on-line (static) advert photos of the Reflex or SilverWing.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 am

I have the best of both worlds, I bought a Mini Cooper, which is not a "BMW," but is made by BMW. So it is by BMW, but it's not a "BMW."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A BMW competitor for the SilverWing   A BMW competitor for the SilverWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A BMW competitor for the SilverWing
Page 1 of 1