Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany

Go down 
+5
Waspie
DennisB
edbancro
Windrider
Tamjay
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany Empty
PostSubject: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 6:44 am

Yesterday, I was on my way to the Channel Tunnel to meet up with Mike-O, and others, for a trip to Brittany. But, unfortunately, I had an accident on the motorway when I had a blow-out on my rear tyre. All this had to happen in the rush hour on the busiest UK motorway (the London orbital M25) at 06:30 in the morning!!

It was the most scary thing I think I've ever experienced !! I didn't hear, see (it was dark) or feel anything prior to it happening. The first thing I knew was the bike was wobbling from side to side and the steering was going haywire and my first thought was that something had happened to the steering. But, as I slowed down (I was doing between 60 and 70 mph), the wobble got worse and I couldn't control the bike, so I just had to let it go. I couldn't do an emergency stop because of all the vehicles behind me - that would have been a horrendous pile-up. Then, as I fell, the thought that shot into my mind was, 'Oh hell, a car's going to hit me and I'll get run over now'. But, miraculously, nothing did. I think that was probably due to the quick thinking of the two drivers, of vans, that pulled up behind me. A big, strong chap helped me up and someone else picked my bike up. Then we stayed in the central reservation until the ambulance arrived and even then it was 20 - 30 mins before they could get across the road from the hard shoulder (they weren't told that I was in the outside lane so they had to wait for the traffic to be stopped).

But it does seem strange to me that a new tyre would do that (the bike is only 4 months old with very few miles on the clock). But then again, I could well have picked up something from the road - but it was so instantaneous that I'm puzzled.

If it turns out to be a faulty tyre, then I guess Honda will have to do something about it.

Fortunately, protective clothing and a good crash helmet (although I'll have to buy a new one now) saved me from serious injuries. I just have a bruised ego, some scrapes and bruises and stiffness. So I consider myself extremely lucky to be writing this at all !!

Here's to getting the bike fixed and getting onto the saddle once more.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:35 am

Glad you are ok, I have had the same thing happen to me years ago on a Harley, one time on a BSA. It is NOT fun.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:38 am

Sorry to hear about the crash, but thankfully you came out of it relatively unharmed. How fast were you going when you finally had to let it go?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:49 am

Hi Laurie,

Very happy to hear your OK. That's scary stuff you went through. Take it easy and get better soon. We'll all be thinking of you.

Last edited by DennisB on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 8:15 am

Thank you Dennis.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 am

Seriously glad your OK, that sounded quite scary!!!

Regards your helmet. Insurance claim? I assume you will be claiming for the damage to the bike so add the helmet as it was a result of the tyre failure.

Understand what your saying about the tyre, I doubt a tyre would just give out! More likely picked up something from the road. You said it was dark and it's easy to miss things just lying in the road. By the way - do you use Ultra-Seal or Slime?

Again, glad you survived and sorry you missed the ride out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 11:09 am

Whoa, scary stuff TamJay. Glad that you are OK. I had a rear tire blow out last summer doing about 60 mph, but my bike didn't get wobbly and I was able to coast to the side of the road and stop. I was just lucky I guess. Hope you and your bike are back running real soon. Be safe.
DCC
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 11:29 am

Waspie wrote:
Seriously glad your OK, that sounded quite scary!!!

Regards your helmet. Insurance claim? I assume you will be claiming for the damage to the bike so add the helmet as it was a result of the tyre failure.

. By the way - do you use Ultra-Seal or Slime?

I hadn't given my helmet a thought, thanks for bringing it to my attention, Waspie. I'll ask them about it.

Funnily enough, I was only thinking about Ultraseal the other day - I've put it in all my other bikes. Just bad luck I didn't get round to doing it soon enough.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Scary stuff man! Very glad to hear you're OK, all the other stuff can be repaired and replaced.

In addition to your helmet, be sure to check the condition of any other protective gear you were wearing. Depending on how your insurance works, you may be able to get replacement garments, if any are damaged by the mishap.

Take care,
Bill
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 2:56 am

I've been thinking about why the bike wobbled so much. I had a full topbox, although there was nothing really heavy in it, and a soft saddlebag strapped to the pillion seat.

Do you think that all that weight could be the cause of the wobbling? Both the bag and the topbox were ripped off the bike in the fall.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 3:12 am

Tamjay wrote:

Here's to getting the bike fixed and getting onto the saddle once more.

Laurie
Love your attitude. Sorry it ruined your trip, but glad that you are OK. Here's hoping you are back in the saddle again soon.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 am

Laurie:
I don't know, but I have a topcase filled with "stuff" on my bike and I am a large person (240 lbs), so I sort of doubt that the wobble was caused by the weight.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:11 pm

I weigh 330LBS give or take 10 my wife 160, have rode two up with top box loaded down, no problems. I've rode with 2 gallons of water under seat and top box loaded with watermelon and what would pack around loose in both top and under seat, no problem.Also had bag with center air filters and around another twenty LBS strapped behind me. I am by no means what one would call a highly experienced rider, this go around a little over 8000 miles in one year had not rode in over 40 years before that,back in the day 10000 a year at most and then for only six or seven years. I know this doesn't answer your question about what caused your fall and I'm not saying it didn't cause it, but with care it can be done. If I hit a hole or rock at the wrong time loaded like this chances are much better for me winding up kissing the ground. And at lower speeds it takes a lot more caution and care. Here's praying and hoping you a fast road getting everything repaired and back to riding.

Craig small moped
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany   Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Accident scuppers my trip to Brittany
Page 1 of 1