Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» GIVI Backrest TB19
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Today at 8:10 am

» Looking for used Corbin Seat
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby Ejscoot Today at 7:10 am

» Selling GIVI P206 - Rear Right Side Monokey Rack
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Today at 6:29 am

» Hope you are staying safe Dale !
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby Mike from NS Today at 4:42 am

» Share your Photos
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» Need some information on issues with vacuum
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 5:37 pm

» Hello from Denver!
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Yesterday at 11:35 am

» Bridgestone Battlax SC2 durability
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby terrier Yesterday at 11:04 am

» Paint Code for the Complementary Silvery/Gold Accent Pieces
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Yesterday at 8:48 am

» Does "FSC" (as in FSC600) Have any Meaning?
Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeby Delray Yesterday at 7:52 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hanging up scooters after an accident

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Hanging up scooters after an accident Empty
PostSubject: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 8:59 am

Hello Friends

We have had some nice Spring weather here in Columbus, Ohio and I decided to go for a ride.

On my way home I was sitting behind three stopped cars waiting for the traffic light to change. I happened to glance in my rear view mirror and an F150 truck was bearing down on me. I realized that he wasn't going to stop but with his distance and closing speed I really didn't have time to react. I could tell that he was braking but he was looking down in his lap instead of looking where he was going. He must have judged that the traffic would start moving or that his braking was going to stop the truck short of me. He guessed wrong.

I stood up just as he slammed into the back of me. It jerked the handlebars out of my hands and I ended up laying on my top box and up against his front end/hood. It knocked the Swing into the stopped car in front of me. It became a crush zone. Probably a good thing that car was there but on the other hand, I now had broken tupperware, topbox and damaged front forks.

I am 72 and my wife and I don't recover as fast as we used to. I was lucky that I was not really injured. I was just sore for a couple of days. The truck driver was both embarrassed and apologetic but that doesn't help the situation much. He was cited for assured clear distance.

My wife was hit by an Odyssey several years ago while we were out for a ride. She was riding a Yamaha Majesty. We usually ride single file and we had our turn signals on and we were going to make a left turn. She was in front of me when the Odyssey driver decided to pass us. The Odyssey startled me as it went by me and then it hit her broadside. She spent several weeks in the hospital with a concussion, broken collar bone and broken ribs. At the time, she said "One more accident and that's it". She never felt as comfortable on the scooters after that accident.

My wife and I decided that it was time to hang up our 2 wheelers. There are just too many drivers out there that are either reckless or overestimate their multitasking skills.

I reached a settlement with my insurance company for the Swing and sold my wife's Reflex.

I have ridden 2 wheelers for 60 years and have always enjoyed it. When the weather gets nice I still get the urge but there is no question that we are safer as full time cagers.

I wish you all farewell and the best of luck.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 9:10 am

Sorry to hear this but glad it wasn't worse for you,, way back a left turner got me, multiple broken bones bruises and internal injuries I'm still going but like you someday it will end but for now it's not today. I do my best to stay out of towns but when I go there I do I leave at least a full vehicle length between me and the vehicle I'm behind and looking in the mirrors for these types of idiots. Always look for an out.

>he was looking down in his lap instead of looking where he was going.<

he should have been charged with this too if he was on a phone.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello, rjdoles,
Sorry to see you go, but thank goodness you are ok. Maybe a message from somewhere to stop. I still ride, but keep thinking WHEN will the event occur to get me off of two wheels? I ride with some guilt/trepidation all the time behind the handlebars, but not yet quite enough to keep me off. I still do bicycling, which is as-or more-dangerous. "still crazy after all these years."

You have reached sanity.

I like your Cushman. Had one (about a 1954, 8 HP 2 speed Eagle) my dad bought used for me to commute to work back around 1960. That was my intro to motorized two wheels. Stuck on bikes ever since. The time will also come for me soon, too. Hope it's at least as safe as your bowing out.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

PostSubject: Starting with a Cushman   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 2:40 pm

bikehiker wrote:
Hello, rjdoles,

I like your Cushman.  Had one (about a 1954, 8 HP 2 speed Eagle) my dad bought used for me to commute to work back around 1960. That was my intro to motorized two wheels.  Stuck on bikes ever since.  The time will also come for me soon, too.  Hope it's at least as safe as your bowing out.  

My story is similar to yours. In 1962, I was 14 and my dad bought me the used Cushman for $125. It was actually a 1958 Allstate Highlander 721 made by Cushman.

Thinking about today's technology those things were pretty crude transportation and not all that safe. Mine was a hardtail and no padding on the metal seat so your butt was the only cushion. They were rear wheel drum brake only and centrifugal clutch with one speed (no transmission).

The alternator voltage varied with engine speed from practically nothing to a little better than nothing. At idle the headlight and taillight were barely visible.

The rear wheel brake had a square cam that pushed the shoes against the drum. If you let them get out of adjustment and had to brake hard, the cam would slip over and the pedal would go to the floor. Braking at that point was trying to get your toe under the pedal and lift it to apply the brake. In a panic stop, the brake produced more noise from the rear tire sqealing than braking force. At least they put a nice black mark on the pavement to the point of impact.

My passengers had to sit on the gas tank and had to put their feet on the frame rails. They usually got off with their right shoe eaten by the rotating clutch assembly. Guards over rotating parts were not in vogue back then.

Still when you were 14, these scooters were the cat's whiskers.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3367
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Mr Doles you will be sorely missed here. While you haven’t clocked up that many posts here on the forum many of those which you’ve shared have been very helpful and informative.

So nice to hear that you weren’t seriously injured. Best regards to you going forward.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Site Admin
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1476
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 6:30 am

Accidents SUCK for sure. I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously and were able to recover.

I was in an accident years ago on my 65 Ducati 350 when a car made a left turn in front of me. Luckily I wasn't going fast, only about 20 mph in town. I couldn't stop in time and bounced over his hood. The front fork was bent a bit but I was able to ride it home. I hurt my back a bit and to this day get migraine headaches now and then.

Good Luck on your future and stay as safe as possible.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2020 6:51 am

rjdoles, sorry to hear about the accident and I'm happy it wasn't even worse for you. Riding is a very personal thing and like kenny Rogers sang ... you got to know when to hold, know when to fold 'em".

On a side note and in reaction to your comment on you and your wife "usually rode single file", I hope that also means staggered (you both occupied a different tire track) and one was comfortably behind the other distance wise (usually 1-2 seconds depending on your speed).

I'm glad things turned out as good as they did given the alternatives. All the best to you and the missus moving forward.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 1:48 am

Glad you've survived, that's the main thing.
I would recommend a small open top sportscar as a substitute, a Mazda MX5 is always a good bet.
And you can still hang around here if you want to, no need to leave us all cos we'll be interested in 'what happens next'.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 8:09 am

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad it wasn't much worse! I feel you about stopping riding. Wife and I are getting a newer small car soon and I have the feeling I to may quit riding 2-wheelers on the street once a car is chosen. My reason is not from an accident but just getting over it. I'll get a 20" electric bicycle that can haul a passenger and play around with that if I get the urge to ride 2 wheels. Can ride it in bike lanes and slip on sidewalks if needed.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 5:26 am

Good news bad news story .....  Sorry for your accident but really glad you are able to tell us about it.  And really glad your wife made it out of her accident as well.

I maintain hearing stories or accident reports like your helps us all and may sharpen our skills or attentiveness.  I've learned to always keep the rear view in mind whenever stopping, especially.  This was learned after a couple of incidents where there were squealing tires behind me.  I also try to stop towards the right side of the lane.  That has saved me a couple of times.  The guy in the car behind seems to seldom pay full attention.

Kenny Rogers put it right ... know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

So,,, going for a BMW Z car now ???  That could be fun.  Be safe!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Murf
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 5:30 am

I am so sorry your life has changed forever. So happy to hear you did not get hurt. When stopped at a light I always stop to the left side of the car in front of me for an escape route between the two stopped cars in front of me. Had to escape once from a teenager texting.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Likewise sorry to hear about your accident rjdoles. I've been considering giving up on two wheels. Maybe late this summer. I started much like you on a Cushman, the slantback 50 series. Only one brake on the rear, no brake light unless the generator was manually engaged. I've owned a bunch of bikes since then and am still riding my '08 SW. If I had any sense I'd probably sell it and settle for my Jeep Liberty for the rest of my driving days.

I'm getting to an age that I think my string of luck with no accidents might end. I don't bounce well these days. I hope that you find another, perhaps safer interest soon.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 1:16 pm

exavid wrote:
Likewise sorry to hear about your accident rjdoles. I've been considering giving up on two wheels. Maybe late this summer. I started much like you on a Cushman, the slantback 50 series. Only one brake on the rear, no brake light unless the generator was manually engaged. I've owned a bunch of bikes since then and am still riding my '08 SW. If I had any sense I'd probably sell it and settle for my Jeep Liberty for the rest of my driving days.

I'm getting to an age that I think my string of luck with no accidents might end. I don't bounce well these days. I hope that you find another, perhaps safer interest soon.

What an amazing 50 years of technological improvements. The Swing has a good suspension, variable speed drive, front and rear disk brakes, mine had antilock brakes, fuel injection, good lighting, turn signals, loads of storage space, wind protection and good instrumentation.

All features that the Cushman didn't have but if you were 14 years old and your only transportation was a pedal bike it was great.

Sadly none of those features protect you from careless drivers.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 5:45 pm

It was and indeed I was in love with it four a year and a half until I got my first car, or more correctly my mobile mechanic's school.
Back to top Go down
rowlingstone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2020-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 5:51 am

Well sorry to hear about your accident you've had a long time riding motorcycles I understand getting older is hard to recover more so than when you were young, I am getting older now too. I broke my back in two spots when I was hit on my Harley by a drunk driver it was bad I am 64 now but I still ride I just cant give it up, i love the feeling of sitting on the bikes and moving down the road. Ive been in many bad accidents mostly racing dirt bikes but ive had my share of people hitting me on my street bikes and indeed it is scary. When I was hit last I was still in a cast all the way down my legs and i was out in the front yard seeing if I could kick start my Harley still of course I was a little younger and a little tougher I suppose ,I hope you and your wife have a long wonderful life and I suggest finding something fun to replace the motorcycles with that's safer for you.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 845
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2020 2:25 pm

Very sorry to hear about your accident. Distracted drivers are worse than drunks.  60 years on two wheels has many good memories well worth it. Right???  

Saw the aftermath of an accident yesterday Very bad rear end collision.  Women in SUV killed.
The truck was in back seat of SUV.  crushed it.  Hanging up scooters after an accident Img_2043

Sad day for many.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 6:19 am

Well, there are helmets for bicycles too. Getting on two wheels after an accident is great therapy. It is still a ways to the ground if you spill. Keep sharing your experience with us. Be well. 👋
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 1:18 pm

Hiyo wrote:
Well, there are helmets for bicycles too. Getting on two wheels after an accident is great therapy. It is still a ways to the ground if you spill. Keep sharing your experience with us. Be well. 👋

I have gotten back on two wheels after a few minor scooter accidents but the older you get, the harder that is.

When I was 16 I bought a 65 Honda 305 SuperHawk. A few other friends with motorcycles were riding/clowning around one evening and the guy in the lead had a 305 Scrambler. He suddenly went ripping across the back of a neighborhood strip mall and I took off after him. It was an unlit parking lot. We had accelerated to about 70 mph when I saw the speed bump in my headlight. Luckily, Mike had just cleared the end of it but I was not so lucky.

The front end of the SuperHawk made it over OK but the rear suspension gave me a slap in the butt that pivoted me right around the handlebars. Had I known about the speedbump and been standing on the footpegs, I may have made it.

For an instant I was staring into my own headlight and then I landed in front of the bike. I should mention that I had all the safety gear of the day on. That would be a t-shirt, shorts and sandals. The bike started flipping end over end so I saw sparks plus headlight, taillight, headlight etc. I think that my sandals disappeared before I hit the ground. Every now and then the bike would land on me.

I was tumbling and I managed to turn onto my back and got spread eagle with my arms and legs out to try to stabilize myself. I could feel the asphalt burning whatever was touching the ground like my heels, butt, elbows and shoulders. I would lift one shoulder, butt or heel to try to even out the burn and hoping there was nothing in my path that I would hit. I was relieved when the bike started dropping back although I slid for a long time.

I spent 13 days in the hospital. I couldn't walk because I had a hole in my right ankle from the kickstand or something. A nurse applied alcohol, scrubbed it out with a soft brass brush and then a doctor stitched it up. I had also been scalped maybe from landing on my head although I don't recall that. Every day a nurse would wheel me to a room with a bathtub filled with Dreft soap. She would let me soak for a few minutes and then peel all the dressings off my roadrash areas and put on fresh ones.

It took quite a while before I was ready to ride again and even longer before I got my confidence back but from that day I always rode with good footwear, bluejeans and a helmet. I didn't have another accident until recently, nearly 56 years later. I don't know whether that was good luck or being more aware/careful or both.

It is funny how many years ago that was and yet that night is still clear in my mind. I am pretty sure that I won't be getting back on a two wheeler again.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hanging up scooters after an accident   Hanging up scooters after an accident I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 5:36 am

Well do enjoy the forum now and again anyway.
Back to top Go down

Hanging up scooters after an accident
Page 1 of 1