Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

J. Costa: my install and impressions

Go down 
+4
dspevack
JeffR
som2002
bigbird
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

J. Costa: my install and impressions Empty
PostSubject: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 5:04 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 7:40 pm

I agree, made my scoot into a whole different bike after the install. A lot more fun for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Bigbird,

Glad the Pictorials helped and I'm glad you like the J. Costa. It seems with so many others commenting on the J. Costa that I may buy some new pins and put mine back on. I know it really transforms the acceleration, and I do miss it sometimes, but I kind of like the Dr Pulley sliders too alot. I was thinking of one day getting my SWing Dyno'd since I have the power commander on it and I bet with the J. Costa that would really give it a bit more boost and better mileage. Keep us informed on how you like the Costa.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Jeff,

I'm surprised you haven't upgraded your exhaust by now.

Dan
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 9:57 pm

x

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Dan,

If I ever need an exhaust I will get the Leo Vince but I'm not sure when that will happen. I would like to get one though for the performance and I think they weigh about 20 lbs less too. But maybe next year if I can talk the wife into it. But she doesn't understand why I buy anything for it though.

Terry,

I think the J. Costa and the 21 gr Dr Pulley sliders give almost the same performance. But I think the J. Costa is a bit smoother but it is hard to tell. But if someone is wanting really good performance, and doesn't want to spend almost $300 than the 21gr sliders are the choice. it really gets the rpms up like the Costa but after about 80 indicated the Costa will start to decrease the rpms compared to stock.

If I remember correctly for the rpms with the sliders:

21gr @ 65 mph were about 5200 rpms
28gr @ 65 mph are about 4800 rpms

21gr @ 40 mph were about 3900 rpms
28gr @ 40 mph are about 3400 rpms

These are all indicated mph's. The 21 gr sliders are a cheap mans J Costa and smooths the SWing out some compared to the stock rollers. But it seemed the Costa was just a bit smoother though. But they both pull you back in your seat though and really gives great performance.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 11:30 pm

JeffR wrote:

Terry,

I think the J. Costa and the 21 gr Dr Pulley sliders give almost the same performance. But I think the J. Costa is a bit smoother but it is hard to tell. But if someone is wanting really good performance, and doesn't want to spend almost $300 than the 21gr sliders are the choice. it really gets the rpms up like the Costa but after about 80 indicated the Costa will start to decrease the rpms compared to stock.

If I remember correctly for the rpms with the sliders:

21gr @ 65 mph were about 5200 rpms
28gr @ 65 mph are about 4800 rpms

21gr @ 40 mph were about 3900 rpms
28gr @ 40 mph are about 3400 rpms

These are all indicated mph's. The 21 gr sliders are a cheap mans J Costa and smooths the SWing out some compared to the stock rollers. But it seemed the Costa was just a bit smoother though. But they both pull you back in your seat though and really gives great performance.

Thanks, JeffR. That's just the info I was looking for.
Terry
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 11:50 pm

x

Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 4:11 pm

I changed my variator to a J Costa back in the middle of January. Since then, I have put about 2500 miles on the scoot. I loved the initial boost that you get to the acceleration, and noticed that gas mileage was down considerably from when I bought it last September (51 mpg US in September, 48 mpg in December, to 45 mpg after the JC installation). A lot of that can be attributed to the drop in temperature. Now that the temps have warmed up, my mpg is now closer to 48, with occasional tankfuls at 50 mpg (longer rides in the country). Considering how much more fun it is to ride, I have no problem giving up the 3 mpg. If I rode it without hotroddin' it all the time, I could probably get over 50 mpg, but why bother? It's too much fun to rev it. How many of us have said we would like a 800 or 900 cc version of the Swing?

One other thing, after about 1500 miles of using the J Costa, it became extremely smooth. It was smoother than stock from the first mile, but now it is eerily smooth - I hardly feel the motor or transmission.

If JeffR had posted about the Dr Pulleys before I bought the JC, I might have cheaped out and bought them instead of the J Costa. But I am still happy that I got it.

Philip

PS - has anybody else with a J Costa tried racing a B650? I think you could burst a few bubbles that way.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 5:41 pm

I love the J Costa, and I did get 50MPG one time. I was riding with my buddy who is mentally challenged and cannot get a license. he rides a 50cc 2 stroke and we never go over 35 mph, mostly 20-25mph.
I prefer to ride faster but sometimes it just feels good to ride with him since he has no one else. We went out and had lunch and made some picture copies of his dog and him, went and put flowers on his mom and dad's grave, then we just rode around the countryside.
I really felt good after that ride.

Riding buddies come in all shapes and sizes.

MaxB (he also likes to ride down to the ice cream place, me too)
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 5:51 pm

You are a good man MaxB. J. Costa: my install and impressions 126978
"I really felt good after that ride.

Riding buddies come in all
shapes and sizes."
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 7:32 pm

MaxB wrote:

I prefer to ride faster but sometimes it just feels good to ride with him since he has no one else. We went out and had lunch and made some picture copies of his dog and him, went and put flowers on his mom and dad's grave, then we just rode around the countryside.
I really felt good after that ride.

If more people had your selfless sharing attitude, the world would be a much better place.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 7:33 pm

MaxB,

Thank you so very much for that ride report - one of the best I've read in a while. We are never more like we are supposed to be than when we are putting others before ourselves.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 9:47 pm

MaxB,

Ditto what the previous posts said. Great post !!!
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 10:51 pm

I'm embarrassed, ..........uh .. Ok thanks.
i did not put it up here to make me look better... I just ride with him he is my ridin buddy.

As a matter of fact he and I went and got corn dogs and ice cream tonight then rode down to the river where all the other riders gather. He is accepted there too, just another rider.

MaxB
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 4:16 pm

x

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 9:37 am

bigbird, glad to hear you like the J Costa. Its what Honda should have installed from the get go. I have the Givi windshield as well.

I just installed the passenger backrest and my ten year old thinks its great on our short hops to Tim's. Think I'll check into the Grip Puppies you mentioned.

Captain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa: my install and impressions   J. Costa: my install and impressions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J. Costa: my install and impressions
Page 1 of 1