Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

J. Costa first impressions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

J. Costa first impressions Empty
PostSubject: J. Costa first impressions   J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Dear friends,

Well, I finally got a free weekend day to install the J. Costa variator. Installation was a breeze. I modified my variator when I owned a Reflex so this wasn't a totally new experience. Special thanks to JeffR for his instructions. I made sure to tighten the "oh Jesus" bolt* to factory specs. The first thing I noticed is a significant reduction in vibration at all speeds. The engine is definitely reving higher, and if you pour it on there seems to be increased acceleration. Another thing I noticed is a change in the way the SWing sounds at highway speeds. It now has a pleasant growl. My first impressions are fairly positive. Even without the increased acceleration, I think the reduced vibration makes it worth the $.

*That's what the Reflex group calls it. It's what you may find yourself saying if the bolt comes loose at the wrong time.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa first impressions   J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Scooterian,

It really does give you a different sound and feeling doesn't it? I just made a post where I re-installed the stock variator since my pins were so worn. I'm glad the pictorial helped out. Can you make a mental note the next time you ride about your rpm's at 70 and 75 indicated? Give us a report on how you like it the more you ride it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa first impressions   J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 7:37 am

After owning my SW for two riding seasons I bought the J. Costas variator and paid my local Honda dealer to install it. Total cost came to $375, and although it has made some difference, I don't think it was worth it. To me the difference is marginal and less than what I expected (maybe my expectations were just too high). I knew it would not turn the SW into a sportbike, but from everything I had read on several SW forums I did expect it to make a noticeable difference in acceleration, not just in engine sound. If your funds are limited, I say buy a new windshield or a Laminar Lip and get a lot more improvement overall and for half the cost of the new variator.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa first impressions   J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Vito,
Don't want to steal a thread but I liked your views and advice on this item as it comes from the other end of a spectrum that can be somewhat subjective at times. When reading thru all these SWing forums I have a hard time not thinking: "when am I going to be able to get one of those!" (whatever it is)? To me it's just refreshing reading such spontaneous remarks about the "other" side. 'Course, I guess that's what the forum is all about. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J. Costa first impressions   J. Costa first impressions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J. Costa first impressions
Page 1 of 1