Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Damage to the scooter

Go down 
+12
tavetti53
exavid
JeffR
bigbird
Waspie
tankyuong
KurtPerthWA
"Hi Yo"
Jeff Rosenkranz
skiwoods
dspevack
DennisB
16 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

damage - New Damage to the scooter Empty
PostSubject: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 pm

I just went to the local Wal-Mart and purchased a few things. When I walked out I noticed new damage to my beloved Silverwing. This type of thing really gets me upset!!! damage - New Damage to the scooter Icon_cry

Having owned a show bike and noteing some people kick, use their shoe or boot toe to point out what they like or dislike on a bike while their hands are in their pockets.

This damage looks like some sorry bastard kicked my scooter. I called Wal-Mart and they are reviewing the security tape.

What does this look like to you? damage - New Damage to the scooter Icon_cyclops

damage - New Damage to the scooter Sd110
damage - New Damage to the scooter Sd210
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Looks very small and deep Dennis.
Unless you are absolutely sure that it happened while you were in Walmart,
my first thought would be road debris.

Dan
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Dan,

1 1/4" long x 1/2" an entire chunk is gone. I washed the scooter with in the week and it's only been 3 places in the last 2 days.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 4:06 pm

Regardless of what caused this, I feel for you. I'd be sick if I saw this on my SW. Even though it's in an area that seems unlikely for road debris, I would have to agree that they could be possible. Hopefully the security tape will confirm either way. If a walmart customer did this, I say we tar and feather the bastard.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Dennis,

Doesn't it make sense that if the damage had been done at Walmart, the chunk would have been lying on the ground near the scooter?

Seems like someone deliberately doing damage, would not have been interested in taking the chunk with him... that would be bizarre.

Anyway, like you've said, perhaps the video camera will show something.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Dennis. Definitely the damage was caused by a forced blow to the side. Following the line of the fairing, comparing that to the footboard rubber, [vinyl?], I dont think this was a rearward motion, glancing blow, like something thrown up off the road.
How's the handlebar end on the left hand side? Could someone have sat on it, dropped it, sat 'er back up and ran? Well whatever happened......I'm glad you weren't on it when it happened. If some Hippy kicked your Silverwing........I'd be baking you a cake with a file in it right about now, or taking up a collection to bail you out of jail for assaulting a tie-dyed incense sniffer. [ No offense to legal, tax paying, tie-dyed, incense sniffing hippies.] Jeff.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 6:07 pm

Guys, This one is going down as unsolved. Wal-Mart called and said their security video does not show my scooter, it's to close to the building. damage - New Damage to the scooter Affraid GEEEE

OK...now for the repair, looks like around $61.00 plus tax. It's just going to have to wait for now.

To look at my beloved Silverwing.....Sad. damage - New Damage to the scooter Kopfschuettel
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Dennis......$61.00 for the lower fairing? Painted? I would have thought more. Do you use a Honda dealer, or an OEM internet supplier, and who.? I have yet to order a Honda part from anyone other than " Dick " , behind the counter, at the local Honda shop. ? Bikebandit? Take care....Jeff.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi Jeff,

Honda Dealer here in Tulsa. When you purchase a body panel from Honda it comes painted to the color of you year scooter.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
damage - New Damage to the scooter 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:28 am

Could it have been hit by a runaway shopping cart? Large parking lots like those at Wal-Mart are notorious for shopping cart damage, especially if it is windy. I bought mine pre-damaged, so I don't have to worry about dings.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 3:30 am

Rather than buying a new panel, I would use something to cover it like a rubber/ polyeurethane bumber(both sides). If someone did this damage on purpose, it would be like pointing the finger next to the index finger straight up at them.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 10:13 am

Or apiece of epoxy
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 10:26 am

Thank you one and all for your support and idea's. I just need to fix it. I just wish the Honda parts wer'nt so darn costly. damage - New Damage to the scooter Kopfschuettel
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:22 am

Dennis, I feel for you. It really is a inditement of life when you leave a belonging and someone takes to damaging it and doesn't have the balls to own up. Sickening.

To me it looks like similar damage a friend had when some cage driving moron decided to move his bike and under estimated the weight and dropped it.

All the same, it sucks when things get damaged outside your control.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:24 pm

I don't think the bike fell over. There would be a lot of ancillary damage: the side of the left fairing, the left mirror, the outside of the final drive cover, you get the idea. I agree about the runaway (or pushed) shopping cart. Order the part, replace it, and it will be forgotten.. $hit happens to all of us. Sorry Dennis.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:07 pm

That is so true!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Dennis,

I'm sorry to hear about your scoot. I hope you are able to take care of it and I bet your heart sank when you saw it. You are so meticulous with your SWing that this is some bad news. When my SWing was about 6 months old an old lady backed up in a parking lot about 60-70 feet and knocked mine over. She was very nice but it isn't a good feeling walking out and see your SWing on the ground. It's too bad they can't find that guy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

When I walked out of the store and saw the damaged area, I was in disbelief and then mad, then sadness set in. Now, the only thing I want to do is fix it and get this event behind me and get the scooter back in top shape again. Looks like the Tulsa Honda Dealer is going to get a vist from me soon.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:58 pm

Any chance the piece is inside the plastic? It really looks unlike what one would expect to see if it was hit but a foot or shopping cart, I'd expect to see the plastic cracked not a chunk out of it. Is there any way something could have impacted the piece from the inside? It really looks more like a piece was knocked out from the inside. If a small rock got under the rubber floorboard right above the edge of the plastic and someone, likely the rider put some weight on that spot it could have chipped out a piece too. It just doesn't look like a chip that could have been caused by an outside impact.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 8:41 am

Hi,

Right now the scooter is still rideable so I will look when the new skirt comes in and I get a chance to make the panel switch-out. This hole sure looks unreal. I just hope a larger crak does not develope in that area before then and causes the skirt to break into two pieces while I'm on the road. Best this problem gets repaired ASAP. damage - New Damage to the scooter Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
tavetti53
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 6:19 pm

I don't think that you will get a larger crack in the plastic...I have the same type of "hole" in my 'Wing for 2 yrs now...I think that I got mine from possibly a rock being kicked up and hitting the skirt...I have to ride about 1 mile on a dirt/gravel/unimproved road until I get to pavement...and I haven't had any problems doing so, even though the 'Wing is my first motorized cycle that I ever bought and driven.....

DaveR
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 4:11 pm

DennisB wrote:
When I walked out I noticed new damage to my beloved Silverwing. This type of thing really gets me upset!!! damage - New Damage to the scooter Icon_cry

Having owned a show bike and noteing some people kick, use their shoe or boot toe to point out what they like or dislike on a bike while their hands are in their pockets.

This damage looks like some sorry bastard kicked my scooter. I called Wal-Mart and they are reviewing the security tape.

What does this look like to you? damage - New Damage to the scooter Icon_cyclops

When I removed my lower left panel on my SWing to install my electric wiring/accessories, my panel was perfectly intact on the outside. But the moment I removed the panel, by the front screw mount (right where your picture is) some pieces immediately fell off the lower panel. I looked at the the spot more closely and very light touched the panel and a lot more pieces fell down with very little touching and noticed more hairline fractures. Enough pieces fell down till I had a visible hole from the outside (just like your picture) ... since it was visible I chose not to repair but to replace.

I have read of others with same problem afterward in the same exact location.

I ordered a new lower panel, but before I installed the panel ... I filled in the entire area near the screw mounts with Devcon Plastic Welder which strengthened the entire area ... it will never fragment like that again.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Based on the location of the damage - I'd be curious to know if the heel of your foot is in that location when / if you adjust your position on the bike? It would seem to me that the plastic would not hold up well if you place a good deal of pressure on it such as would be applied when lifting your self off the seat and shifting around a bit. The resulting damage may be similar as what you show and describe.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Thank's Guys,

I think every one is correct. Either UFO or Big Foot...it just needs to be fixed and until I get my hands on some extra cash it's just going to need to wait. Sad to say is every time I look at the bike my eyes fall on this blemish.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 7:53 pm

But Dale........Think of the lovely Kim. Would you say to her words like " Great deal of pressure"....."lifting yourself off the seat"....."shifting around a bit"??? NO! She'd punch you in the kidney's, and then give you such a pinch! We upper 50 yr olds are sensitive about our figures..... but you....who are less than half our age can eat Nacho's and not switch from belts to suspenders. Oh...the pain...and it's Dennis B's 1,000th post day. An apology may not suffice.......but if you Fed ex'd him a case of O'douls, that might smooth it over. Jeff damage - New Damage to the scooter Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Dennis
The skirt area where your damage is located is well known for developing hair line stress cracks.

There was similar damage to my lower skirt but I was able to reinforce the area before things got as bad as yours.

I used ABS plumbing cement, purchased at Lowe's from the plastic plumbing pipe section. It's used on the black plastic plumbing pipe, not the white PVC pipe.

On the inside of the panel I smeared a layer of the ABS Cement over the cracked area, followed by a layer of fiberglass drywall joint tape. About 15 minutes later, after it set up, I applied another layer of ABS Cement & Fiberglass tape. It all sets up relatively quickly and dries (cures?) completely in 24 hours.

I've used this technique several times with great success.

The down side is that the ABS Cement is black, though I understand it is also available in 'Clear'. Also, in many communities ABS Plumbing is no longer legal, so ABS cement can be difficult to locate. I finally located some in New Jersey, after being unable to get it in Pennsylvania, Delaware & New York.

Also, ABS Cement is basically ABS plastic 'powder' dissolved in Acetone. I've read elsewhere that nail polisher remover (acetone) can be used to fuse ABS plastic panel
cracks.

You can also get clear ABS cement / acetone as well as small sheets of ABS plastic at a well supplied Hobby Store.

Tim
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 8:16 pm

My 03 was broken in the same location when I purchased it. It was hauled on a trailer from PA to VA (not by me) and could have happened then but could have been there prior to that. I replaced mine rather than go for a fix. Good luck with yours Dennis...
Dick
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, I just ordered the replacement skirt for my SWing. Thanks Dale for the thread to Servicehonda, you saved me ten bucks.

Thanks Bill and Tim. When the part comes in I'm going to take the time to reinforce that area so breakage will not happen again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Damage to the scooter   damage - New Damage to the scooter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Damage to the scooter
Page 1 of 1