Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:17 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:05 am

» Earth cable stress
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 11:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:50 am

» Cooling fan still running
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?

Go down 
+14
skiwoods
YammaPapa
MikeO
JeffR
scooterog
honda_silver
jdeereanton
bigbird
crahar
thomphoto
jimjotel
DennisB
tankyuong
Jeff Rosenkranz
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Empty
PostSubject: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 10:30 pm

While riding either my Schwinn or my Silverwing, I wave at bicyclists, scooter riders, and motorcyclists, most all generally return the gesture. I generally dont get return greetings from the Big Twin riders. Do you? Thanks, Jeff.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 10:49 pm

I dont wave til I get the first wave from the HD rider
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi Jeff,

I only wave at H-D riders if they wave first. Sometime I just nodd my head at them.

I like nice people. People that like to ride...Not just trying to be show-offs or have big egos because they ride harleys.

After 40 years of owning, riding and repairing Harleys, I feel I'm qualfided to say ""you do meet the nicest people riding Honda's". And that's the truth of it.

I always wave to a Honda riders. Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi Tank, Hi Dennis. I thought it might just be me. Whats behind this exclusion? Jeff
Back to top Go down
jimjotel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 12:35 am

hey Tank, Dennis and Jeff, I wave at all, if I see movement from the other rider's arm, but must admit, HD riders are usually handicapped. Even have freinds that are HD riders and cant see why i ride a SW, but i ask em how many miles you got on yours, which I know most have had theirs for 3 years or more,. Most of them dont even have 10,000 on them, Ive had my SW since last march and I am closing in on 26000,. So I guess there are riders and then there are ego lovers, especially when it comes to bike week in Datona and they all trailer their HD's down there from Ga., lol
Back to top Go down
http://jimtelford@bellsouth.net
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 1:14 am

Here in my area (Western Kentucky) most of the old style real Harley riders will give the wave, but the ego riders you mentioned usually will not. Very few of the crotch rockets will wave. I've sat at stoplights right next to crotch rockets, and they won't even look my way, until the light changes and I get the jump on them.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 3:14 am

I'd say less than 50% of the Harley riders wave back. I'll wave at any other rider I see.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 3:31 am

Hi Tom, Jim, and Crahar. I remember hearing the " Dont ride rice".....but always thought it was a joke. Is it a "Buy American" thing? If it is a China ,Japan, or Korea thing, I wonder if the Motor Co riders own any electronics? And Jimjotel.....26,000 in 14 months.....wow....Hats off to you. Where have you and that Silverwing been? Thanks for posting, Jeff.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:21 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 5:25 pm

They wave and I wave. I wave and they sometimes wave. They wave and I sometimes miss it.

Funny - Thanks Maggie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izzlN2zC8PU

Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Maggie and Dale, Thank you. That is so funny and so darn TRUE.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:08 am

By the way, if I fail to see a Harley Davidson rider wave at me - do they discuss how goofy we are on their forum(s) or at the secret meetings?
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Dale, Bigbird, and Dennis. So it's maybe a self-perception issue..... that the Big Twin rider isnt so much out for the ride, but to be seen? Cant be all of them tho. I have noticed, that if I compiment an H-D rider on his or her bike when parked........one of the common replies is "thanks". But on quite a few occasions, if the rider was up for a bit of give and take, the reply was, "yeah, but its really dirty". And this is always said about an absolutely pristine, chrome covered work of art. Sat across the table from a V-Twin rider at a local river front fermented cereal beverage dispensery. Commented on his bike, and he let us all have it. He had just picked up the bike after an oil change, and found some fingerprints on the chrome. He was livid. Made the shop detail the offenses before he paid for the oil change. I ask him if he considered changing the oil himself, and he replied," Not on a $30,000 custom motorcycle!" Jeff the perplexed.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Just to make sure my position is clear:

I wave at HD (& metric cruiser) riders, I ride with HD (& metric cruiser) riders, I wave at scooter riders, I ride with scooter riders, I wave at sport bike riders, don't get to ride with too many of them. I wave at Euro-Sport-Tourer riders, I wave at Gold Wing riders. I wave at folks on bicycles, and at farmers driving tractors. Some (most) wave back, especially the farmers.

I wave at all bikes (if I see them) both as a wave instigator and as a responder.

As for the attitude - everyone has one - some attitudes are more offensive (to me) than others. I avoid those folks or attempt to engage them in conversation other than motorcycles. I don't generally find myself hanging out with the "outlaw" type, but I do meet with quite a few folks over the course of the month.

I'll close by saying I've also crossed a few scooter riders off my personal list of people I'd like to hang with. I'd still ride with them, but have no desire to spend an extended period of time with them. I know this makes me sound a bit (or maybe a lot) elitist, but I am just attempting to say that the type of ride doesn't define the person. People who ride are not homogenous.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Good call Dale. And living in the midwest....how true about a guy on a John Deere pulling a planter. A tip of the hat, or helmet, to the farmers. Jeff.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 5:40 pm

I wave to all two wheel motor vehicles (even across 5 lanes of interstate traffic) or nod if could not wave in time.

I do not watch or check if they wave or nod back ... so I choose to believe that everyone waves/nods back. If they do not intentionally wave/nod back that is their problem ... but it does not effect/change me.
Back to top Go down
scooterog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 10:52 pm

I wave to everything from liquercycles to Harleys and almost always get the wave back...Rog
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 1:43 am

Hi Rog......Thats the spirit!.....but Rog.....what's a liquercycle.....???? Thanks,.......Jeff, the curious.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 2:10 am

I wave and everyone if possible. Sometimes I am lost in my own world and don't even notice that I passed a bike. But I don't care if they don't wave back. I find that Harley riders the ones that wave most. It seems the sport bikes and BMW's are the ones that wave the least.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 10:00 am

The convention in the UK is to nod so it's easy to miss if the other rider has responded.
Here one holds out the left hand in a casual way or, if overtaking, sticks out the right leg.
I tried that on my X9 but only did it once; I was travelling quite fast and nearly got hooked off by the wind - it's not for 'feet-forward' riders! Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 11:37 am

Hi MikeO. The right leg salutation that you mention, creates a great mental image. "Yes Mike, our team of surgeons can replace that knee with a combination of carbon fiber, and Wrigleys Spearmint gum." " Now, how did you reeeeaaaallly break your leg?"
Hi Jeff and Silver. I applaud your attitudes. You make the effort, but are not concerned about the returned results. Good on ya. Jeff
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Jeff Rosenkranz wrote:
.....what's a liquercycle.....????

Those are the little bikes, generally under 50cc that some states allow people to ride without an operator endorsement. Thus people who have lost their license or permit to drive due to an alocohol related offense are able to ride these little bikes "legally" and can be out on the road.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Morning Dale. Is this true?? Wow. When I get off work, I have some Googling to do. Thanks for the education. Jeff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:24 pm

I have a friend who is not mentaly stable enough to have a license and rides a ruckus. The mental ilness was brought on by horse tranquilizer in 1973. I guess he rides a dopeacycle Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Lol
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Lol Hi Chief.........I cant stop laughing long enough to respond........Jeff
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Hanging the right leg off , gives me the image of a dog wandering up to a fire hydrant. Not safe to try on a moving cycle! Seeing that might make me laugh so hard I would crash.
Craig Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? 676839
Back to top Go down
YammaPapa
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 10:48 pm

It's funny, when I'm riding my Yamaha Roadliner, most Harley riders wave back thinking I'm one of them...but few scooterist do as they're caught off guard. They're not used to being acknowledged by a 'Biker'!

It's also funny, when I'm riding the Swing, most Harley riders won't wave back...most scooterists do because I'm not a 'Biker', but rather, one of 'them'!

So my long winded answer is yes and no. If I'm on my cruiser, I wave at Harleys and all motorized two wheelers. If I'm on the Swing, I don't wave to anyone but scooter and moped riders as generally no one else waves back.

Last edited by YammaPapa on Mon May 31, 2010 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 1:30 am

Hi Yammapapa. You Canadians are soooo diplomatic. Thanks for the good ideas. Now, what do I do about my neighbors. He has a really nice H-D Bagger, and she has an excellent Silverwing. If they are riding together, and I'm on my Silverwing, what kind of wave would signify that my greeting is for you.....but not for you. I dont want to include her,and exclude him, as this could lead to marital tensions,stomping out of the room, refusal to do the dishes/ clean the garage........you see the possible call to the lawyer. I can't have the battle of "who gets custody of the family otter" on my shoulders. Jeff the conscientious.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:06 am

You could hold up two fingers........ Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
YammaPapa
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Hello Jeff.

If they were my neighbours, I'd invite them out on a ride and buy them a cup-o-java (Tim Horton's, what else!). This way, no one needs to wave and they both get to enjoy the family otter!

I feel like such the Dr. Phil...

Roadliner Rider
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 1:57 pm

This is why I enjoy this forum so much. The conundrum is IQ level comparisons as related to groups. To be specific the Silver wing forum has attracted an unusually high level of horse hockey spreaders that espouse intellect far above normal. Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 2:21 pm

Oops! My apologies.....just my failed attempt at a little humor. For sale.....one lightly used manure spredder. Jeff
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 5:32 pm

I have noticed less waves this season than in the past. I typically do not wave at Harley riders unless I get the wave first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 9:39 pm

I think some of them are afraid to take a hand off the ape-hangers in case they lose control. Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Skiwoods. The scooter pics are excellent. Nice to see a barn in the background. I live in the midwest, and an old barn is getting harder and harder to find. Most were post and beam construction, and the cost of re-supporting usually out weighs demolition. A new Morton building generaly takes it's place.
Hi MikeO. I've visited Youtube and enjoyed some really good rowing vids. I cant believe the speed that is evident on the Telekom commercial. Scare me......what would be the cost of a new "4" boat with paddles, and whatever incidentals to be water ready? Jeff.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:54 am

Hi Jeff - yes, those kinds of boats can go very fast.
In the Summer we used to race the tourist cruisers at Putney, overtaking them very easily. The speed-limit there for powered craft was 8 knots IIRC. We could do a great deal more than that.
On a good day, the University Boat Race crews are travelling around 15 mph (including the speed of the water/tide) if my Maths is correct. Olympic rowers probably go faster.
The sign of a crew working well together is this: watch the 'puddles' made by the oars (blades) entering and leaving the water. In an eight there are four on each side. At each stroke, the puddle made by the rower at the back should be clear of the one made previously by the one at the front - it's called 'covering your water'.
The bigger the distance between the sets of puddles, the better the boat is going.

As for the cost now, I have no idea but when I was rowing in the mid-60s, a racing 'shell' was between £500 and £1000, about double the annual salary of a clerk in the Civil Service (a good job).
The best boats are called 'shells' - roughly speaking made from sheets of plywood moulded into a U-shape; smooth in the water but quite unstable. I expect they're made of carbon-fibre and other fancy stuff these days.
'Tubs' were much cheaper and clinker-built; slower, heavier and more stable but better for beginners as one could put a foot on the bottom and not go through!

PS. I've just had a Google and found a company in the States who make racing boats.
A single scull (OPO) is $11,900.00 Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_eek

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited by MikeO on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: California wave   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 4:38 pm

I wave at almost every one. I get a kick out of the different type of waves there here in sunny Southern California.

First there are the pocket rocket, wavers. They lower there arm straight down, because the the wind resistance strong that at 70mph. there arm would break off.

Then there is the cruser wave. Arm at (half mast) off to the side but up and open handed. Not even concerned about the wind.

Then there is the hand on top of the helmet. Indicating there is a patrol in the area.
I fly my United States Marine Corp flag every where I go and personally use the salute if my cruz control is on. If not it's the cruzer wave. Most of the time I get the stare back, like what the hell was that that just went by. Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: California wave   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 5:09 pm

I wave at almost every one. I get a kick out of the different type of waves there here in sunny Southern California.

First there are the pocket rocket, wavers. They lower there arm straight down, because the the wind resistance strong that at 70mph. there arm would break off.

Then there is the cruser wave. Arm at (half mast) off to the side but up and open handed. Not even concerned about the wind.

Then there is the hand on top of the helmet. Indicating there is a patrol in the area.
I fly my United States Marine Corp flag every where I go and personally use the salute if my cruz control is on. If not it's the cruzer wave. Most of the time I get the stare back, like what the hell was that that just went by. Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:34 pm

I almost always wave if I can do so safely and it seems like most other riders wave back - with the notable exception of the ego weenie H-D riders. To be fair, a few H-D riders will wave, but most do not. Why is that? Doesn't paying 3 or 4 or 5 times as much for a machine that performs 1/2 as well and is 1/4 as reliable provide adequate compensation for whatever inadequacy it is that they are attempting to compensate for? Do they still feel like they need to be rude too? A few hours with a good therapist would have had better results at a lot less cost...
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 3:25 am

I wave at everyone on a bike, and most always will wave back here in Wisconsin.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 4:02 am

Hi MikeO. I Think I'll check the St Louis area for University rowing clubs. Would enjoy seeing this live. Thanks for offering these details about rowing. Jeff.
Hi John. Good to know about the hand on the helmet..... this weekend officers were everywhere. I have my hand on my head alot, but thats because Elmers glue is not a good choice for toupe's. Jeff.
Hi Scootist. I was the parts manager at a Harley/Honda/Yamaha shop back in the 70's, and I too see a big difference in the riders. I dont know tho..... things are changing in Milwaukee..... the H-D finance group, the economy, Buell, ten years ago a two year waiting list to become an owner......still ,the riders are great to talk shop with, and you cant deny those bikes are really works of art. Jeff.
Hi Som, and Mrs. Som.....Well yeah...but everybody's nice in Wisconsin. Seriously, I'm an old YMCA staffer, and the best hires that we had, especialy at summer camp, were Wisco's. I know that you think we have an accent, ala Garth Brooks, but you cheeser's sure sound 'Bob and Doug" Canadian to me. Jeff.
Back to top Go down
YammaPapa
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 4:21 am

Jeff Rosenkranz wrote:
I know that you think we have an accent, ala Garth Brooks, but you cheeser's sure sound 'Bob and Doug" Canadian to me. Jeff.

But that's all good, right? Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_wink

Take care, eh!
YammaPapa from the great white north
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Y.P. You bet thats all good. Between an excellent health care system, and home of the GEO Metro, we lower forty eight'rs can only "look up to you, eh...." Speaking of GEO's, it took me three years to find and buy my pride and joy, a three cylinder, 94 Metro. 50 hp and At 50 mph, an honest 50 mpg. Let's see, what Honda scooter matches those numbers.......hmmm. But those cheesers....beautiful country side, clear lakes, friendly two wheeler riders,.....awful, just awful......Jeff.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 3:42 pm

I try to wave at everyone when possible. Maybe not on a multi-lane hwy., but MOST folks do wave back. The crotch rocket guys are least likely to return the wave...but I usually give the palm open finger pointed toward the ground type wave.
When my wife & I ride to the Varsity (world's largest hot dog drive-in) for lunch, other bikes will see the Swing and not comment until they see 2 helmets and 2 jackets "disappear" into the trunk and Bestem top box. Then they may say, "How many cc's is your GIVI!" and we just smile and say I reckon the GIVI is about 600cc's and some never realize that that is the windshield maker. Ignorance is bliss! Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_smile billc.
Back to top Go down
YammaPapa
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 12:23 am

Jeff Rosenkranz wrote:
Hi Y.P. You bet thats all good. Between an excellent health care system, and home of the GEO Metro, we lower forty eight'rs can only "look up to you, eh...." Speaking of GEO's, it took me three years to find and buy my pride and joy, a three cylinder, 94 Metro. 50 hp and At 50 mph, an honest 50 mpg. Let's see, what Honda scooter matches those numbers.......hmmm. But those cheesers....beautiful country side, clear lakes, friendly two wheeler riders,.....awful, just awful......Jeff.

Hey Jeff. My old girlfriend had one of those GEOs and she was fantastic...the car that is, the girlfriend...not so much.

My in-laws live in upstate New York and I've ridden through Wisconsin on my way to visit them. I somehow got off the interstate hwy and got lost meandering down some remote country roads that led to quaint little hobby farms. I sooo wanted to see more but was running out of daylight and couldn't see anymore. I made my way down to Madison that night and called my wife to tell her that I'd found 'Heaven on Earth'. I'd missed most of the scenery by riding in the dark and vowed to return one day.

Last year I retired from my main job and bought my new Roadliner. I decided to check out how the bike handled touring duties and went back to mid Wisconsin. Great people, great scenery, lovely farms...you can ride for days and always find new roads to ride. I was so impressed that I'm trying to convince my wife to join me on a ride back there and look for a place to settle after she retires. She somehow thinks that a warmer place would be better! Wait 'til she rides her Swing through those rolling hills, she'll be sold...all we need to do is find a cute little hobby farmhouse with three little pigs... Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_porc Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_porc Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_porc
And they lived happily ever after... Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_king Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? Icon_queen

Yammapapa & SilverFox
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 am

Hi BillC. Good point about the sportbike riders. Maybe they CAN'T wave......I had a GSXR 1000 and always felt as though I was practicing for some type of hand stand competition.......judges......6.5....7.... and ....5." Full time consideration of another endeavor, might be in order." Now to the important stuff.....tell me more about this "Worlds largest Hot Dog Drive In." Jeff.
Hi Y.P. My friend Connie has borrowed my Geo to haul a Kayak. Nice and low, easy to load. Her large hat, pulled WWWAAAAYYY down, and the comment about it "being nice to drive incognito" has me wondering if the fairer sex truly appreciates this automobile "par excellance". Y.P.. if Rodney Dangerfield were still alive, he would steal your "old girlfriend/ GEO joke". Good one!!!
Silverfox, follow Y.P. to Wisconsin. I have this bad feeling about any place warm being covered in BP's finest. And wouldn't Madison be at least 100 degrees warmer than a frosty August day in Winnipeg? Happy Retirement S.F. and Y.P. Jeff.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Jeff, the Varsity, the "World's largest Drive-In" is located in Atlanta, Ga. You can go the the web site: www.thevarsity.com and read about it. It's a "tradition" here in Atlanta and has been visited by celebrities and Presidents for decades. Many motorcycle groups make a pilgrimage here just to say they have been there. best to you....billc.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Billc. Two miles of hot dogs, 300 gallons of chili, homemade ice cream and fried peach pie.....and Nipsy Russell was car hop #46. Cant get any better than that. Thanks. Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?   Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you wave at Harley riders and do they wave back?
Page 1 of 1