Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:11 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Do you do The wave

Go down 
+9
exavid
DickO
Delray
Meldrew
GHM-PM
Jim Caudill
GoonerKev
Dale N.
CTHunter
13 posters
AuthorMessage
CTHunter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-07-02

Do you do The wave  Empty
PostSubject: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 6:12 pm

motorcycle Do any of you wave at other motorcycles? I always wave at other bikes whether they wave or not.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 10:25 pm

I always wave. Most times I get a wave back. If not no biggie.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 3:23 am

We do the "Side Nod" over here in the UK Wink
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 6:37 am

I probably wave about 85% of the time. The other 15% is usually due to some riding issue that warrants my full attention. When we used to tour on our Goldwings, my wife was in charge of exchanging waves. I feel like we are part of a two-wheel community and choose to participate.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 8:37 am

Dale N. wrote:
I always wave. Most times I get a wave back. If not no biggie.

Same here and it is surprising that even some Harley riders wave back...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 3:30 pm

I don't, I made a conscious effort to get out of the habit of nodding waving and all the rest of that nonsense years ago. It had become nothing more than a meaningless automatic gesture to other riders and you think you're expected to do it.

Flashing your headlights at an oncoming rider was another one, and there's that ridiculous sticking a leg out gesture that European riders do.

If a rider goes past me without nodding it's fine, and if he nods expecting an acknowledgment from me he's going to be disappointed. If in those few seconds he feels slighted at being blanked, that's not my problem.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 10:00 pm

I love the wave, the oh-so-cool acknowledgement that yep, we're taking our lives in our hands out here, and yep, holy cats is it fun.

I never initiate waves because I keep two hands on the grips at all times, with three fingers curled over the left brake lever. When I'm waved at, I do a full Japanese head bow in reply.

Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi All,
I have to go along with all those who are happy to wave back... I don't see it as life threatening at all plus I do believe it adds to whatever little camaraderie might be out there for "bikers"...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 12:37 am

Sure, why not? Most riders do and I woudn't want to be so rude as to fail to return one. I also initiate a wave. When I was flying in Alaska I always dipped a wing to a passing aircraft, very common practice with smaller aircraft.

Back in the early sixties when I owned a 1957 MGA  I always gave a wave to other British sports car owners. I was a normal practice in acknowledging other people who were foolish enough to own a car with Lucas Electric components or SU sidedraft carburetors.
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2019-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 9:23 am

Delray wrote:
I love the wave, the oh-so-cool acknowledgement that yep, we're taking our lives in our hands out here, and yep, holy cats is it fun.

I never initiate waves because I keep two hands on the grips at all times, with three fingers curled over the left brake lever. When I'm waved at, I do a full Japanese head bow in reply.

Delray you make me feel so ashamed....
Since getting the swing I find myself riding with crocks(funny flipflops) and shorts... maybe a t shirt... I do wave to everyone, and somtimes I even use both hands to wave, Shocked
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 am

"I find myself riding with crocks(funny flipflops) and shorts... maybe a t shirt"

That's my standard riding ensemble, only swap Birkenstocks for Crocs. When you say "maybe" a t-shirt, does that mean you are rolling around Cincinnati topless?
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 11:00 am

Delray wrote:
"I find myself riding with crocks(funny flipflops) and shorts... maybe a t shirt"

That's my standard riding ensemble, only swap Birkenstocks for Crocs. When you say "maybe" a t-shirt, does that mean you are rolling around Cincinnati topless?

Only when dark... Im OLD and FAT now... I would get a ticket for offensive exposure!!!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 12:01 pm

Sure do the arm drop wave, I may try the leg out European thing who knows might even get a leg up back Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 pm

I don't like to be a nanny but I believe in wearing safety gear. I've seen the results of an accident on a motorcycle. It's not pleasant to describe an elbow or knee with the skin worn off and the somewhat ground away bone showing. I never ride without some gear. I wear a mesh jacket with shoulder, elbow and back armor in summer, a heavy weight horse leather motorcycle jacket in winter. I wear gloves at all times, light perforated leather in warm weather, deerhide gauntlets in cooler and leather insulated gloves in cold weather. When traveling any distance I wear Draggin' Jeans kvlar reinforced jeans. Can save a pair of knees or lost hide on hips and buttocks. Otherwise it's denim jeans for short low speed errands.

Shoes come off in many motorcycle accidents even a low speed. I wear lace up ankle high Merril hiking shoes in local slow speed errands and Danner side zip lace up parachute type boots on longer and faster runs.

Think about being pinned to the ground with on foot caught under the muffler when you bike suddenly went down of some unseen oil or sand. Would you want to be wearing flip flops or a decent pair of boots or shoes? It doesn't take much to grind off a toe or the ball of the foot.

There are many pictures of motorcycle and scooter accidents on the web showing the damage that can be done. I HIGHLY recommend looking at a few. It will give a person some thought provoking ideas of what CAN happen to anyone.

I've owned various motorcycles and scooters over the past sixty two years, ridden a Lot of miles locally near where I lived and on road trips all over the US and parts of Alaska without ever being hurt seriously just a couple of sprains and a slight burn. I think it's only sensible to AGATT, all the gear all the time for any rider.

I don't mean to insult anyone but slip-on shoes and flip flops, bare arms or legs are a serious accident that could have been a minor incident.

RIDE SAFE!!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 9:27 pm

When traveling any distance I wear Draggin' Jeans kvlar reinforced jeans. Can save a pair of knees or lost hide on hips and buttocks. Otherwise it's denim jeans for short low speed errands.

<<>> color me safety yellow but from personal experience hide ripping accidents happen and hurt just as bad 5 miles from home as 500 or 5000.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 9:32 pm

"I don't mean to insult anyone but slip-on shoes and flip flops, bare arms or legs are a serious accident that could have been a minor incident."

Your opinion. No insult taken. Every word you say is smart, sensible and convincing.

On the other hand, flip flops, bare arms or legs are a personal choice. In my view, putting on a bunch of gear, particularly in stifling heat, is so uncomfortable it ruins my ride. Part of the joy for me is jumping on the bike and going -- it's the magic of a kid cruising downhill on a bicycle and he never has to pedal.

That said, I never, ever ride on super slabs. Never corner fast or whip through intersections, stay mindful that I might hit oil at any time, spend most of my rides with a riding strategy of staying as far from the nearest car as I can, etc.

I've been riding for ... (doing the math in my head) ... 46 years, and I have remained true to the sentence I actually spoke aloud on my first ride: "I am going to reach the last ride of my life without going down once." So far, so good.

Could something happen to me tomorrow? Of course it could! Saw a great quote recently (maybe here) where a rider asked the instructor if he always had to wear safety gear. "No, you should only wear it on the day you're going to have an accident."

I tend toward NGATT, with the exception of a Schuberth helmet during Florida's winter. I love my Schuberth. But it's simple math for me. If I've taken 13,267 rides in my life, that's 13,267 rides I could have moaned and groaned and been miserable with ATGATT, or 13,267 rides where I felt alive and free (while riding more safely and smartly than most do, I'd wager).

Totally respect where you're coming from. My mileage varies in this case.

Last edited by Delray on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DLK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DLK

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 9:35 pm

exavid wrote:
I don't like to be a nanny but I believe in wearing safety gear. I've seen the results of an accident on a motorcycle. It's not pleasant to describe an elbow or knee with the skin worn off and the somewhat ground away bone showing. I never ride without some gear. I wear a mesh jacket with shoulder, elbow and back armor in summer, a heavy weight horse leather motorcycle jacket in winter. I wear gloves at all times, light perforated leather in warm weather, deerhide gauntlets in cooler and leather insulated gloves in cold weather. When traveling any distance I wear Draggin' Jeans kvlar reinforced jeans. Can save a pair of knees or lost hide on hips and buttocks. Otherwise it's denim jeans for short low speed errands.

Shoes come off in many motorcycle accidents even a low speed. I wear lace up ankle high Merril hiking shoes in local slow speed errands and Danner side zip lace up parachute type boots on longer and faster runs.

Think about being pinned to the ground with on foot caught under the muffler when you bike suddenly went down of some unseen oil or sand. Would you want to be wearing flip flops or a decent pair of boots or shoes? It doesn't take much to grind off a toe or the ball of the foot.

There are many pictures of motorcycle and scooter accidents on the web showing the damage that can be done. I HIGHLY recommend looking at a few. It will give a person some thought provoking ideas of what CAN happen to anyone.

I've owned various motorcycles and scooters over the past sixty two years, ridden a Lot of miles locally near where I lived and on road trips all over the US and parts of Alaska without ever being hurt seriously just a couple of sprains and a slight burn. I think it's only sensible to AGATT, all the gear all the time for any rider.

I don't mean to insult anyone but slip-on shoes and flip flops, bare arms or legs are a serious accident that could have been a minor incident.

RIDE SAFE!!

That’s the great part of being a American. We all can have and share our opinions. I fully respect anyone riding how you want to. I ran with our local fire and ems units for 8 years. I have also seen may accidents. Most it would have not mattered for the bike rider how they dressed in a bad wreck. I always find it sick and stupid when the news has to say after a biker gets run over by a semi, or someone on their phone turns left on the highway in front of them and the rider is killed they make sure to report that they had no helmet on. Like it’s the riders fault somehow…. Or the helmet would have mattered.

If as you say for you have ridden for 62 years and never enjoyed the freedom and surreal feeling of riding in the wind, totally in the wind, without your perception of a safety net cutting you off from the wind and smells,  then I do feel sorry for you. It seems more like riding in a car with the windows down than being on a motorcycle.

Also, since we are freely exchanging our opinions here I wish to tell you I can’t stand air bags, seat belts, or any of the backup cameras, radar assisted braking, and all the new stuff that makes drives feel safe enough to not pay any attention to the road.  The new tesla’s  even let the drivers sleep… I have personally watched a tesla driver holding a tablet in his line of sight to show off on the highway in Chicago.

They should have put a steel spike in the steering wheel, so the driver dies every time. Maybe then drivers would pay attention and NOT kill other by being distracted !

I dough I have changed your mind, and I know you haven’t changed mine. But we both now know where we stand on the perception of personal safety, and waving….

When it’s you r time it’s your time.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 10:18 am

I make a point of waving. Two spread fingers towards the ground. All part of the fun of the ride for me. Especially when some big dude with colors and hands stretched upwards on a huge bike with handle bars reaching to the sky, returns the wave. Then I wonder if he realized I'm on a scooter, albeit a BIG scooter. Yes .. great fun and proper manners in a world with so few.

Part II ... AGATT for me as well. True on hot days it is tempting not to but one slip up or a damn dog running in front of you and ... BOOM you could be down all scraped up, bleeding and maybe broken. Then likely no riding for a month or two. The dog thing happened to me in my driveway I had gone past my place to practice U turn at the end of the street, as I often do when returning home. Upon return back to my place the neighbor's dog had broken lose and was chasing me. Thought it had abandoned the chase as I turned into my driveway. In a split second that damn animal was right in front of me ... inches. It startled me and I grabbed the brakes (with front wheel still turned) and down I went. No injuries to me but the bike has some new scrapes from the driveway's asphalt. Learned how to handle this in the future but didn't want that lesson then or in that way.

Be safe out there...

Mike
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 3:13 pm

When I started riding in the late 70's it was head 'nod' which I still do now. I find the sideways head flip a bit awkward. I don't go much for the leggy out thing on the SW when in Europe mainland but I guess it's easier on a conventional bike.

As others have mentioned I don't go out of my way to respond to oncoming riders if I'm concentrating on traffic or road conditions etc. but overall I find the whole affair heartening, even from the occasional Harley rider! ( I sometimes imagine them saying 'Oh S***' to themselves when they realise it's a scooter). I like to think that we 'bikers' look out for each other whoever we are or what our preferences might be.

BTW, I always 'clad up' whatever the weather. Ditto Mike...

Chris
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Everyone can ride however they want to. When I was a young fellow I used to ride on the Mojave Desert when we lived on Edwards AFB. lots of dirt "roads" over the desert, specially pole line maintenance "roads". We had to wear helmets even back in 1957 on the base. I went down more than once on my Cushman (it isn't a good dirt bike) and later with my 1949 Triumph 650. After the first time I dumped my scooter in the dirt I was very glad I had a helmet on. I'd never ride down the block without it now.

While it's true that often all the gear can't save you, it's also true that good riding gear can and will definitely save one a lot of pain if the crash doesn't kill them.

As far as seat belts go, we've had quite a few accidents that killed the driver and/or a passenger that didn't think they were necessary. In most cases they would have lived through the accident if they hadn't been ejected from the car and crushed when the truck or car rolled over them. Funny how some people don't think they need seat belts in airliners then are injured when the airplane hits clear air turbulence.

Back when I had hair I enjoyed the wind blowing through it on the sailboats we've owned but now I don't have any hair and I don't grow new skin very fast at my current age.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you do The wave    Do you do The wave  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you do The wave
Page 1 of 1