Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Saddle Bags on a SilverWing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Saddle Bags on a SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:49 am

Hi!

This is a question I partially asked in the post about top boxes but I'll be more specific.

I do a fair bit of mini-touring on my SilverWing (3 to 5 days). To date I have used a Fairydown (NZ) tote bag which neatly fits the well under the seat and has been adequate for what I need to take.

I have been thinking about extra luggage for longer trips and like the look of the Givi T427 Scooter Saddle Bags.

Has anyone got these or tried them or used some other brand of saddle bags on their scooter. In particular I interested on how they attach (I presume they just straddle the bike from under the seat) and do they scratch the paint work?

Any views would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:55 am

Peter,

Do you already have a top box? If not, the tail bag may be another option for you. I think most of the saddlebag users will tell you that the sides can be easily protected to prevent scratches.

My only quibble is this - the straps would seem to compromise the weather seal under the seat (only matters if you ride in the rain).
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:03 am

jdeereanton wrote:
...Do you already have a top box? If not, the tail bag may be another option for you...

Dale,

That's a quick reply! No, I don't have a top box and without wishing to offend all those who do, I don't like the look Saddle Bags on a SilverWing Kopfschuettel .

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a tail bag? Are you talking about those soft bags that fit on the rear rack of a sports type bike?

I take your point about weather sealing; I didn't think about that; we rode recently in very heavy rain and the 'Wing kept both rider and luggage quite dry.

I do have an Oxford brand back pack from my Honda Hornet days, maybe it will be enough.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:11 am

You got it on the tail bag.

Kim and I rode with a Joe Rocket for a few years. Had them for our Reflex(es, i, s) and just used them for a while on our SilverWings. I'm not a fan of the look of the top box, that's why we take them off and ride without them most of the time. I also think they mess up the lines of the bike, it's possible I'm a sport bike guy at heart.

I need to move cameras and computer equipment sometimes for work and the tail bag just didn't offer enough space so we moved up to the top boxes.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:36 am

I'm currently using what are called "mini" saddlebags, the Nelson-Rigg CL 900's.
They measure 15"L x 9"H x about 7.5"W(including the extra outer pockets on each bag) , about 13.25 liters per bag in the main compartments. I've only recently installed these, whereas before I was using some leather saddlebags for a couple of years.

To address Dale's weather integrity concern with under-the-seat "yoke" installation, I only rode once with the leather bags during a pretty heavy rain, and only for about a half hour, but during this time there did not seem to be any water entering the under seat area. In other words, nothing got wet down there. I have a feeling that the seat still closes tightly enough to prevent this.

The Nelson Rigg bags also mount with an under seat set of hook and loop straps (or, of course, these straps can be simple "thrown over" the seat if one prefers). I've posted a few pics of these bags in my album if you'd care to see what they look like. My main concern with saddlebags when I was looking at many different options, was always how tall they are, so that clearing the muffler is guaranteed. Another consideration I've noticed is how wide they are, because if they are very wide, or if you mount them farther toward the rear of the bike, you end up covering the key hole for the seat, which would be a problem for me.

I think the better quality bags - like Nelson Rigg, or Givi, or many other brands - are all equipped with good, sizable foam pads behind the bags, in touch with the bike's paint, so that scratching can be prevented. It would probably be a good "house cleaning" idea to remove/lift up the bags periodically to clean the pads and the bike, to remove any dirt or dust that has gotten trapped back there between the two.

Good luck in your search.
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:51 am

matthew wrote:
I'm currently using what are called "mini" saddlebags, the Nelson-Rigg CL 900's.
They measure 15"L x 9"H x about 7.5"W(including the extra outer pockets on each bag) , about 13.25 liters per bag...

Matthew,

Thanks for the information and the pictures. They certainly look like they would carry enough (including my existing tote bag).

What sort of trips do you take and how often? The countryside in some of your photos looks a lot like parts of Australia Saddle Bags on a SilverWing Icon_smile !

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 10:36 am

Peter,

Most of the pics in my album, I think, are form my tour of some of the American Southwest last early Fall. Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, southern Arizona, the Gila Wilderness of New Mexico. About 1650 miles in total. I think there are also some pics near my house, which is in rural New Mexico, about 30 miles south of Santa Fe. This is high desert country, pretty dry (about 12-13 inches per year).

I'm planning maybe a couple of tours for this season, maybe early June and then again in early/mid September. We'll see. Probably, at least the first one, a circle around the Four Corners region of the Southwest, including some of the National Parks in Utah and Colorado, as well as the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (last year I visited the South Rim).

Most of my everyday riding is more local, probably within 100 miles or so of home, including my 30 mile (each way) commute into Santa Fe, when I do that.

In addition to the saddlebags I use (for touring) a couple of waterproof duffles, since I carry camping gear as well as everything else.

Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 11:09 am

matthew wrote:
...Most of the pics in my album, I think, are form my tour of some of the American Southwest last early Fall...

I'm planning maybe a couple of tours for this season, maybe early June and then again in early/mid September...

We are looking at a 3 - 4 day run in mid May; the two of us who go have itchy feet (back sides) again. We live on the south coast of NSW (Australia) and will ride over several great "bike riding" roads (The Bells Line of Road across the Blue Mountains then the Putty Road) ending up in the Hunter Valley then west to try a country pub (hotel) at Cassilas that we came across two trips ago. Then we will wander back home through the central west of NSW - can't wait. We DON'T camp but we do try to stay in pubs that our wives would never stay in Saddle Bags on a SilverWing Icon_smile .

During the mid-90's I had a trip to the US for work. Unfortunately I didn't get much time off for sight seeing but did have one complete weekend and drove a hired Lincoln Town Car from Huston across Texas to San Antonio via back roads (I had no idea the Alamo was so small, too many Davy Crocket movies as a kid I guess) ten down to Corpus Christie, along the Gulf to Galvaston then back "home" to Huston. That was a great trip; much of the inland part looked like over here. It was a great drive in that car but not sure it would be so good on two wheels.

Keep safe,
Peter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 6:35 pm

If you look in the album section I have a few pics of the Givi saddlebags there. Either under the seat or on top for the velcro straps.
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 7:32 pm

jeffp wrote:
If you look in the album section I have a few pics of the Givi saddlebags there. Either under the seat or on top for the velcro straps.

Thanks Jeff. I noticed (and you mention) that in one picture the bags seem to be just placed over the top of the pillion seat. I suppose they just sit there; is there any need to have them tied down?

What about scratches? Do they mark the body work?

Thanks,
Peter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Mine came with a bunch of small bungee straps that I secured to a few places. There is the possibility of scratching the side panels but keeping the plastic clean and waxed will reduce that. I put a small towel hidden behind the bags before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saddle Bags on a SilverWing   Saddle Bags on a SilverWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saddle Bags on a SilverWing
Page 1 of 1