Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Saddle bags

Go down 
+6
ultralight
john grinsel
Ishkatan
bigbird
MikeO
speednuts
10 posters
AuthorMessage
speednuts
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 3:45 pm

I will be going on a trip from Long Island New York to Maine in a few weeks. I have searched forever for saddle bags for the SW with no luck. I will be carrying a passenger with me. Does anyone here know if any company makes side bags for the SW that can be used when carrying a passenger? If so, I hope you dont need to make complicated modificatons to the bike to make them fit.
My e-mail is speednuts@aol.com. My phone numbers are 516-541-0582 (home) and my cell is 516 314-2032
Thanks for your help. My bike is a 2002 with 19,865 miles on it and I am the original owner.
Harvey
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 3:50 pm

Hello and welcome!

All soft saddlebags can be used in conjunction with a pillion.

The World is your oyster!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2011 3:52 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 12:51 am

I was totally floored when I came across cloth saddlebags at Wal Mart for under $40. Have not seen them on-line or in the store since. They velcro on and are not waterproof, but come with a slip on rain cover. Just saying keep an eye out at Wal Mart. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 7:14 am

Since waterproof is totally necessary---see Aerostich catalog---Ortlieb Rubber from Germany Saddlebags.

They should be able to fit on side using passenger grap handles to secure them plus something low on scooter side to keep tham from flying, even loaded.

Bag on gas tank hump can also increase carrying capacity.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
ultralight
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ultralight

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 11:51 pm

I use Nelson-Rigg SSC-150's without a problem on "Nellie." I tore one last year and am replacing them another set of the same. My kids do not have a problem with them.
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 4:42 am

bigbird wrote:
... you'll see the Givi T-427 bags...

Bigbird,

I have looked at soft panniers on and off ever since I got my SilverWing. They are very convenient for the casual tourer. However, I have a question to which I never seem to be able to get a straight answer: Do soft panniers/saddle bags slung over or under the pillion seat scratch the side panels?

What has been your experience? Do the Givis have a rack?

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 4:47 am

speednuts wrote:
...I have searched forever for saddle bags for the SW with no luck...

Harvey,

I have also been looking for soft panniers/saddle bags for quite a while. The ones I now fancy are the Andy Strapz Expedition Pannierz. These look quite rugged and should stand up to wear and tear.

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 9:31 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:30 pm

bigbird wrote:
Hi Peter. I can answer that unequivocally no, my T427's do not scratch the side panels.
I'm not sure what you mean by "do the Givi's have a rack"?...

Terry,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I have heard several "experts" claim saddlebags will scratch but they were probably hard luggage fans.

The rack I was referring to is a frame that some motorcycles use to rest the insides of the saddlebags against to stop them hitting the rear wheel or exhaust.

Thanks again,
Peter
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 11:49 am

I used to have Givi soft saddle bags and found them good for touring purpose. Now I´m thinking to buy a new set for my SW. There´re two options, but I´m, not sure which ones to choose. Has anyone bought these soft bags? A photo would help me to decide. There are photos about the bags on the Givi site, but none with SW. Givi EA100B and Givi EA101B

Last edited by Leena Hallasmaa on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Back packs   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 12:32 pm

I have several back-packs. A couple of them work fine hanging from the passenger grab rails. harley
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 2:02 pm

To avoid scratches get some of the mesh, rubber carpet underlay. It also stops them moving about.
Or just put some sticky tapes along the flanks.
Forget waterproof outer covers, pack everything in plastic bags.
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 2:23 pm

I used to have Givi soft side bags with my Gilera Nexus and didn´t use any rubber carpet and got some scratches. So I´ll use it this time for sure. Never used the outer covers, as I put all stuff that goes to side bags to dry sacks that you´re able to use when you´re hiking etc. Got fed up plastic bags that always tend to tear more or less. Other stuff to top case and my tent, sleeping matt and other camping stuff to cylinder bag on the saddle.

I also have a tunnel bag, but used it only once. The tunnel of the Gilera was so high that it was very uncomfortable to use it.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 3:19 pm

I just came across " Classic Accessories MotoGear 73707 Motorcycle Saddle Bags " that look just like my bags. Note they have yellow plastic covers in case of heavy rain - I actually used those when I had them on my FJR and they kept things adequately dry. Not for hurricane weahter but worked on a rainy day for my commute.

I run the Velcro straps under the hand grips and Under the seat to set width. I then ran the clip straps also under the seat in front and under the plastic tail protrusion behind seat. The clips are meant to attache a cloth topcase but I don't have that so just used them for extra security. The bags just rested directly against the sides of the swing and did not scratch the finish on a 260 mile trip.

The straps across the space under the seat make it difficult to take out large items from under the seat so the bags had to come off to get larger "night" luggage out. There is room between straps to take out things like gloves but if you plan your packing right you can keep the road food, rain gear etc. in the saddlebags.

They are not huge - won't hold a helmet - but good for extra stuff for an overnight if you want spare warm shirt, pants etc.. and like to overpack.

Not my Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kloU9ia4J_Y
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Saddle bags Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddle bags   Saddle bags I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2016 3:24 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Since waterproof is totally necessary---see Aerostich catalog---Ortlieb Rubber from Germany Saddlebags.

They should be able to fit on side using passenger grap handles to secure them plus something low on scooter side to keep tham from flying, even loaded.

Bag on gas tank hump can also increase carrying capacity.

John Grinsel

Great points - Having the straps going across the seat or under the seat but over the opening makes access to under seat storage a PIA and requires careful planning for packing. I guess mine work OK for calm US weather. For Oregon or England I agree you want rainproof.
Back to top Go down

Saddle bags
Page 1 of 1