Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello - Introduction

Go down 
+3
Erdoc48
GHM-PM
DonnieOnTheRoad
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DonnieOnTheRoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-11-05

Hello - Introduction Empty
PostSubject: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2023 10:25 pm

Hi my name is Donnie Lewis.
I used to ride a Goldwing but 5 years ago but I suffer a stroke. Fast forward to today.
Starting to ride again .... Now I'm going to ride a 2003 Silverwing. Current mileage 13,000

This will explain ... From the GL1800Riders.com forum that I have been a member the last 20 years .

Revelations ... of a person's life touched by a stroke

I used to think a person doesn't grow old overnight ... instead it's a very gradual process that occurs over many many years. Boy was I wrong! I grew old in just one split second in time almost 5 years ago on October 7' 2018. I was 67 years old then and now I'm 72. Stroke can do that and so much more to a person. There is nothing quicker than a stoke to make you instantly old in every respect, that is if you live through it. I did ... God's plans for me were evidently still unfinished. He knew it but I was naviely unaware.

I was so mad and angry with God and I couldn't withhold my judgement of his actions during that first month in the hospital after the stroke. It was bad and I was very very alone at that time of my life. I think my original thoughts were l'm going to ride any way and I'm going to write again the way I use to. I'll show him whose in charge. How pityful and vindictive l was. I even wore a hat "I Will Return Goldwing DonnieOnTheRoad" as if it were my choice. It wasn't. How was I going to learn that?

I was blinded by my own ego and caught up in my own self-righteousness. Time went on but the stroke was here to stay. To say I've learned so much in the last 5 years would be a great dishonor to God. Instead I would say he has taught me so much in the last 5 years. It was extremely tough to accept the challenge to change and adjust during that time and to rehabilitate to return to some semblance of my former self. Of course God knew that it would be tough. I was busy learning what tough really meant. I have been living it and learning it with God as l go forward these last 5 years. There wasn't a map or any instructions on what to do but I found that God was always there rooting for my success. Yes, the same God who allowed my stroke in the first place.

I was encouraged by my myriad of friends that ride Goldwings who were cheering me on over that period.  Many I knew but most were complete strangers offering words of encouragement in a GL1800Riders.com forum Thread that lasted almost the entired time until I recently ended it ---> except for this post. I can't read it now (I get too emotional) but surfice to say those words including mine over the years were instrumental in me being where I am at now. Thank You! My wife and family support was great as well. Yong and the rest of my family want what I want because they love me so much. They yell a lot at me sometimes for the same reason but they always support me.Even God was on my side in seemed.  Everyone was on my side! Surely I would eventually be riding the Goldwing!

As I progressed closer and closer to riding my 2013 Goldwing God seemed to have a different thought. After learning to walk again .... learning to ride a bicycle again ... learning to ride a Honda Silverwing scooter again I was so so close. After years of pain falling down time and time again and getting back up again and again. When I finally, literally broke my back I knew then that I had reached as far as I possibly could. That was June of last year. God told me it was time to sell my beloved Goldwing and close that door. I didn't want to but God left me no other choice. Sold it in June this year. That was so so tough for me. Silly I know, but silly enough for me.

June, July and August this year I was severely depressed and withdrew from everything. I stayed home. I drank a lot and tried to stay intoxicated to the point of no return only to wake up the next day and try not to do it again. Never had a problem with alcohol or any other intoxicates in my whole life ... despite my best efforts. However this comes the closest. Something had to give.The Silverwing sat in the shed and gather dust during this time. Like I said ... I didn't even want to think about anything to do with riding. I had to decide at this point. Am I going to try and ride any more or am I'm going to walk away totally? There is no right or wrong answer or a sign post up ahead that points to the correct direction.

I decided ... I'm going to continue to try to ride.

I know the risk I'm taking and it's a big one. I hope God is riding on my back as well because we discussed it many times throughout endless days of self doubt and prayer. You never know what is going to happen in your life but you just have to hold on until the rollercoaster stops sometimes ... then you go again.

My spirits lifted up almost immediately. By making my mind up it seemes I now have a desire to put my life in order again. I'm going that way! I knew my decision was a risky one but I was on my way regardless. I was excited about my life again. That was a new feeling I hadn't had in 5 long years.

They say that God works in mysterious ways. I was about to see the Silverwing in a whole new light. Funny how God gives you what you need before you even realize you needed it. I just couldn't see it at the time. The Silverwing, In my mind it was a crutch a scooter used to help me get back to riding the Goldwing nothing more. It was actually so much more.

I finally order new tires for the Silverwing which had been sitting in the shed and decided to take it for real ride of over 100 miles or more. First time in a long while and I only use it for short rides usually. I packed some water, tangerines and went out to ride it with a new purpose.

Below for pictures of that day

I became a Silverwing rider that day. God was doing some wonderful things that day. My mind was racing and I was planning fast and already figured out trips and where I would go on the Silverwing. First over to Arkansas to see my friend Bob to test my riding viability. Then I would take the Silverwing up too Missouri to see my daughters family and then a road trip to California I had planned.

Whoa .... Can my body withstand my minds exuberance? One step at a time. It's like starting all over. Again and Again until I get better and better ... riding more and more. I have to take things very slowly over lots of time.

“Mile by mile, it’s a trial; yard by yard, it’s hard; but inch by inch, it’s a cinch.”

— Gabrielle Giffords

That quote was shared with me today at church by a dear friends ... Thanks ... It Is very adept at capturing my experience with stroke. One inch at a time.

I have so very far to go and so much more to learn and relearn but at least now I feel like I'm truly back on the road. I don't mind traveling the miles. I'll do the work.

God willing, if these things come true and I'm able to ride all over again like used to I promise to tell my story of Gods love for me to everyone I meet. I will give encouragement to all. I will try and be an inspiration too any one that will listen or hear my story .... Everybody has a story.

Thanks for letting me share mine with you. I know it's not a fun story but my life since the stroke has not been much fun. It's an adventure I could have never faced on my own. I know now God has been with me all along. Giving me what I  needed before I actually need it and loving me all the time.

I don't usually celebrate an anniversary of some thing like having a stroke .... But I think this year I will celebrate Oct 7th with a motorcycle ride by taking my Silverwing out for a ride. Praise God!

Thanks

Donnie
DonnieOnTheRoad

-------------------
Thanks - I looked forward to being here more going forward on the Silverwing

Donnie
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2023 7:40 am

Very well written Donnie! Thanks for joining us and sharing your story.
Back to top Go down
DonnieOnTheRoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2023 9:20 am

Thank You!
I'm looking forward to riding the Silverwing everywhere I can.
Nice to meet you!

Donnie
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2023 9:30 am

Welcome to the party!!!
We’re mostly older here on this forum, so a few have had issues with strokes and similar illnesses but have done a reasonable job of coming through the other side and ride to this day. Besides that, although not a GoldWing, a Silverwing can be set up to tour pretty easily and is a long distance tour bike (can be set up to be one) and is pretty comfortable to ride, even for several hours. There’s lots of very useful information on maintaining your SWing here, so read on and welcome!

I call the SWing my ‘old man bike’. I have 2 ST1100’s that I also currently ride but when the time comes that I’m older and can’t manage them well any longer, the SWing will be the keeper/ primary ride at that time.
Back to top Go down
DonnieOnTheRoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2023 9:37 am

Thanks ... When I'm on a motorcycle I'm always happy.
Nice to meet you.

Donnie
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2023 11:33 am

Welcome aboard the board Donnie!
Back to top Go down
DonnieOnTheRoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2023 1:00 pm

THANKS
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2023 8:41 am

Welcome to this great site and enjoy your scoot. I myself just bought a 2008 /with 7400 miles which is my fifth Silverwing. This one is here to stay and no more wanting bigger and more power bikes. Enjoy this site like I have ...Al
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2021-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2023 6:29 pm

Hello Donnie, thecruiser here...
I don't think we've chatted before,... if we have, not often.
I've read your posts for years before your stroke on the and in the years since then on the GL1800riders forum, always hoping you'd finally get on your GoldWing. I watched the videos of you learning to walk again.
I had my stroke two years ago in November. Not as bad as yours but like yours, was enough to take me off my GoldWing. I too thought I'd get back on the Wing eventually and gave it til last Fall,... then til last Spring. I made up my mind that I see how things were by the end of this Fall but this Summer I gave it up. Last Spring, I sold my SilverWing that I kept in Florida to Ride during our Winter time there. Then this August I let the GoldWing go too.
I didn't have any issues with paralysis, my issue is mainly with balance. As easy as the SilverWing is to Ride, I can't master that either.
I'm glad you made it to this forum as I'll again be reading of your adventures here!
thecruiser (Larry Kopenkoskey)
Back to top Go down
DonnieOnTheRoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2023 7:05 pm

Hi Larry
Yes .... Every stroke is different that's for sure. My right side from my head to my foot was affected. I thought initially balance would be problem for me too but I've been able to cope so far My muscles are pretty much gone on my right side.. only control through my core muscles ... granduler control is tough and a constant struggle.
I know how you feeling give up and letting your motorcycles go.
For me ... after 5 years I'm blessed to be able to ride the Silverwing .... But it was tough to drag me here.
I wish you the best going forward. I'll be posting my rides/trips on my Silverwing on Silverwing site and probably the GL1800RIDERS site.
I'll be both a Goldwing rider at heart and a Silverwing rider going forward .... God Willing🙏🏻
So happy to hear you!

My first Silverwing ride with friends is tomorrow.
Oct 7' 2023 . My 5 year anniversary of the stroke.
Donnie.
DonnieOnTheRoad
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2023 8:42 pm

Hi Donnie and Welcome to the BEST SWing forum on the net.
I'm usually not one to read long posts but I started to read yours and couldn't stop. WOW! You sure had/have your share of troubles.
I got Prostate Cancer from Agent Orange while in the Navy from 65-69 with 3 cruises to Nam. Fun Fun... Luckily it was all contained in my Prostate and that was the only operation I needed for it. I've been Cancer free since and I believe that God is the one who's keeping me Cancer free. I'm not Mr. Religious by any means but I KNOW He's been helping me survive.
I have an 08 SWing that I had converted over to a trike in 2018 by Motor Trike Corp. And I have no regrets.
Here it is in all it's glory?!
Hello - Introduction Coborn58
Back to top Go down
DonnieOnTheRoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2023 9:06 pm

That's the way to do .... fIght back and keep going forward.
Believe it or not ... I had prostate cancer too back in 2013. Had the surgery to get cancer out me. I've been Zero PSA ever since thank God. I still have it checked ever year. I believe God is looking over both of us. 👍
That's a pretty bike. Hope we meet up and ride sometime.
Donnie
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2023 9:57 am

Dale N. wrote:
Hi Donnie and Welcome to the BEST SWing forum on the net.
I'm usually not one to read long posts but I started to read yours and couldn't stop. WOW! You sure had/have your share of troubles.
I got Prostate Cancer from Agent Orange while in the Navy from 65-69 with 3 cruises to Nam. Fun Fun... Luckily it was all contained in my Prostate and that was the only operation I needed for it. I've been Cancer free since and I believe that God is the one who's keeping me Cancer free. I'm not Mr. Religious by any means but I KNOW He's been helping me survive.
I have an 08 SWing that I had converted over to a trike in 2018 by Motor Trike Corp. And I have no regrets.
Here it is in all it's glory?!
Hello - Introduction Coborn58

I’ve always wanted to know- is this a true trike or one of those ‘training wheels’ like kits where the back wheel is still there and the side wheels are outriggers? I’ve always liked that trike since being on this forum. I’m not a trike person (for now) but it’s nice to have options.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2023 10:39 am

It's a true trike with no training wheels. It just has 3 wheels not 4. That's one reason why I love it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Introduction   Hello - Introduction I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello - Introduction
Page 1 of 1