Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Go down 
+3
Terry Smith
Cosmic_Jumper
cello33
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2018-07-09

No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH Empty
PostSubject: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2023 6:38 pm

SWIng appears to have a dodgy circuit somewhere as twice in two days the bike has not kicked in the starter when pressing the button .

Its happened on consecutive days now and just checked fuses battery and rear brake switch and all looks ok.

I'm hoping its not the starter motor itself as that would be a bitch to replace ( i think) but anyone had the same issue ?

I,ve got off the bike and eventually the motor kicks in so not had time to trae the fault when it happens and apart from continually starting the bike in the garage not sure how best to introduce the problem for faut finding purposes but I guess i'll carry a DVM and torch , bit of wire just in case to bypass the rear brake switch if it happens again......
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2023 8:03 pm

Well if it starts by you bypassing the left (brake) lever switch. Then just replace that switch. But otherwise you should have a go at the right push-to-start (PTS) switch. Open it up had spritz it with circuit cleaner or otherwise clean the contacts. It’s a PITA accessing that PTS switch.

The PTS switch is a known weak spot.

Unless the scoot has very high mileage or is stored outside it is doubtful that the starter is bad. But if so be reassured that the starter motor brushes are replaceable.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2023 8:21 pm

Good advice & will do thks Cosmic!
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2023 8:51 pm

I think Tim is correct. The left bar lever (rear brake) has two microswitches that you should hear click in sequence as the lever is pulled in. The first switch just operates the brake light, and the second switch completes the starter circuit. You do have to pull the lever in reasonably firmly to get to the second switch to engage the starter. The switch action is controlled by metal tangs, and I did have to bend one of mine slightly to improve the action. You should be able to jumper the second switch wires together to bypass it, if it is defective but that is overriding a basic safety device. Squirting contact cleaner into the switch and working it a number of times might clean it up if the contact is a bit dodgy.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2023 11:04 am

I had the same symptoms. I fiddled with the left brake contact tab for what seemed like a day and finally found the sweet spot again. I still don't trust it 100% but it hasn't let me since cleaning and adjusting it.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2023 3:34 pm

Cleaned the contacts and the tarnished tangs on the micro switch , also squirted some cleaner in the start switch and cleaned up the contacts on the starter fuse.

No repeat today so will see how it goes!

Also no carrying a little piece of wire to complete the circuit should it happen again when I,m away from Cello33 Hq.

I did notice the fuel pump in the tank making some strange noises when primed so maybe thats also on the way out but you cannot complain @ 21 years old and 46K on the clock......fingers crossed Smile
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 28, 2023 12:23 am

A mini fuse fits perfect in the left break start relay wire. I used one for a long time. Just bypassed the sensor
Back to top Go down
Skoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-08-03

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2023 10:56 am

This just happened to me … had the bike abt a month. I noticed it occurring intermittently, but a firmer squeeze of the break usually did the trick. Now it’s a complete no-go. Luckily happened at home. Just wanted to thank y’all for giving me a place to start. 👍
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2023 7:49 am

Skoot wrote:
This just happened to me … had the bike abt a month. I noticed it occurring intermittently, but a firmer squeeze of the break usually did the trick. Now it’s a complete no-go. Luckily happened at home. Just wanted to thank y’all for giving me a place to start. 👍

I had to replace my handlebar switch (starter and brake unit) last year. It's a very easy replacement and not too expensive. My brake switch failed not the starter switch side, so I kept the old switch in case the starter switch failed later on. My scoot had about 25K on it. Good luck.

https://www.speedsupplies.com/oemreplacementpartvariationsv.asp?partnumber=35340-KFG-000
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH   No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No starter! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH
Page 1 of 1