Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Starter problem?

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
Flipdog
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Flipdog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-02-16

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 9:12 am

Hi experienced ones!
Paused my journey to work this morning and switched back on with left hand on brake and side stand up and all dash lights illuminated as usual. I pressed the starter and all but the ABS and one other red light went off and it was like a dead battery!
Pressed again and away she went.
Out of curiosity I switched off and pressed again and the same dead battery symptom happened. Pressed yet again and now she started (again).
Got to work and the same 'will she go or won't she go' business still there.
The battery connections were tight and I have it on charge now to check for an improvement but I am wondering if this is a common fault and maybe a relay is sticking?
Any helpful comment will be gratefully receivd as I am not electrically minded.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 10:21 am

Need more info.

How old is the scoot? How many miles on the scoot? Have you performed a static voltage check and a fast idle voltage check? How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery connections?

While you are checking the battery connections you should do an ohm test of the ground (earth) wire, i.e. ohm out the negative wire from the battery terminal to a ground connection on the frame. If not zero ohms, or very close to that number then it might be a faulty ground connection at the frame.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Flipdog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 10:51 am

Hi Tim.
She is 2015 registered with just under 4000 miles. Lucky to find her and love it xxx.
The terminals were tight but you lost me at the first jump (--- 'fast idle voltage check' What?).
I am close to a garage so will have someone look at it.
Maybe it's the battery because it is probably original and I just charged it before returning it to the scoot from a run around on a sit-on lawnmower!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 11:29 am

Preferably using a digital voltage meter check the voltage at the battery when the scoot is not running. You should see 12-12.5 volts. Start the scoot. The voltage should read 13-14 volts at a fast idle.

Five years doesn’t seem too long for battery life but it’s possible that it has deteriorated — especially if the scoot was stored in an unheated environment. Have your garage guy do load test on the battery. That’ll give you the answer.

[Edit] Link to a previous battery replacement discussion:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t2642-battery-replacement-suggestions

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Thu May 21, 2020 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HankMarlow
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-03-10

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 11:37 am

Here in the US, I would take the battery out and down to an auto parts store or Walmart. They have battery testers and would test it (under a simulated load) for free. I have never had a battery last much more than 5 years.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Could be as simple as a dirty starter button, might just need some contact cleaner and a bit of working. The fact that it is intermittent points to an electrical fault for sure, but I would not expect the battery to be an issue. A weak battery more likely will lead to the starter solenoid buzzing.
Back to top Go down
Flipdog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 4:35 am

Thanks Tim. I read your post on battery replacement and will definately go with Yuasa if needed.
Thanks Hank. I have someone from the local garage bringing a multimeter (?) and the battery will be tested.
Thanks Terry. I agree it must be electrical and I would hope it was the starter button, --- except the dash lights go out when the button is pressed like it's a short or maybe a faulty earth connection, as Tim proposed.

Thanks all! I will be sure to post the result.
Back to top Go down
Flipdog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 9:03 am

Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather and called me stupid! -- it was the brake lever micro switch and Terry was nearer the truth! A few blasts with WD40 to clear out the cr-p and she was a good'un again.

Thank you all for your support.
Early finish on the scoot and see what next week brings. Can't be worse than the economy.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 9:53 am

Not stupid, many times it's the EZ stuff, BTDT and probably will go back again Smile
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 12:19 am

Flipdog wrote:
Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather and called me stupid! -- it was the brake lever micro switch and Terry was nearer the truth! A few blasts with WD40 to clear out the cr-p and she was a good'un again.

Thank you all for your support.
Early finish on the scoot and see what next week brings. Can't be worse than the economy.

Glad that I sort of helped even if I was on the wrong side of the bars! The comment on lights confused me but all of the Honda starter buttons also interact with the lights, so that as you press the button the lights are cut, I assume to ease the load on the battery when the starter is running. Brake and clutch microswitches lead a hard life out in the open and yet their function is quite critical, especially as the interlock circuit for a scooter.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 7:27 am

Since it is a Honda, always look for the "simple" solution first! Glad you got it figured out, BTW I change my battery every 2-3 years, but I live in the desert and the heat seems to be very hard on them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Starter problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter problem?   Starter problem? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starter problem?
Page 1 of 1