Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? Empty
PostSubject: Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires?   Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm

I might have done something very stupid…

Someone just commented to me that wet tire spray should NEVER be used on motorcycle tires. Apparently the silicone and oils in it can make motorcycle tires dangerously slippery.

Honestly I had not heard this before and this is NOT mentioned on the spray bottle instructions. I just never thought about it.

When I cleaned up the black plastic parts on my Silverwing I also sprayed my tires with some generic wet tire spray.

Would a heavy dose of Dawn in very hot water with a scrub brush be adequate to remove this stuff anywhere it might have gotten on the tire tread?

The tires only have 300-400 miles on them but if this is a real concern I’ll have them replaced.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires?   Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2022 6:53 pm

I would doubt they need replacement- I agree to wash them in a detergent to see if the silicone component comes off (and maybe after this use some isopropyl alcohol on a rag to make sure it’s all off)- did it get all over the tread area or just mostly the sidewall? When riding again, just be very careful and progressively scuff the tread and you should be good to go (just one opinion).

My brother in Colorado works for Adam’s Polishes- he recommended this product:

Adam’s Tire and Rubber Cleaner (looks like Goo Gone in color and maybe this would work as well)
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires?   Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2022 7:35 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
I would doubt they need replacement- I agree to wash them in a detergent to see if the silicone component comes off (and maybe after this use some isopropyl alcohol on a rag to make sure it’s all off)- did it get all over the tread area or just mostly the sidewall? When riding again, just be very careful and progressively scuff the tread and you should be good to go (just one opinion).

My brother in Colorado works for Adam’s Polishes- he recommended this product:

Adam’s Tire and Rubber Cleaner (looks like Goo Gone in color and maybe this would work as well)
Thanks.

It was mostly the sidewalls. But I cleaned both tires, tread and sidewalls, with plenty of Dawn and very hot water. Twice.

Judging by how much black water was in the bucket when I was done, I have to think I got it all off.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires?   Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 8:06 am

I think you have done what is needed! Just go easy for a while, no road racing through the twisties LOL. Just ride normally and easy and if you have no handling problems then you are probably fine. The main danger would be on the tread, so I think you are OK.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires?   Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 11:54 am

GHM-PM wrote:
I think you have done what is needed! Just go easy for a while, no road racing through the twisties LOL. Just ride normally and easy and if you have no handling problems then you are probably fine. The main danger would be on the tread, so I think you are OK.
Great, thanks. I just put 60 lazy miles on it, on back country roads, and didn’t notice any problems, so I think I’m good to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires?   Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wet tire spray and motorcycle tires?
Page 1 of 1