Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

DIY black plastic “restoration”

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” Empty
PostSubject: DIY black plastic “restoration”   renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2022 3:48 pm

The original black plastic body panels on my 2006 Silverwing were badly faded, with gray streaks all over. I tried Armor All spray but it did very little. I researched “black plastic restoration” products to improve their appearance. There are many on the market, with lots of YouTube videos comparing them.

But I stumbled on videos where the user was employing common household oils to do the same thing. Surprisingly peanut butter was mentioned as often as the others. Second most common was a combination of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil, then olive oil, then basic vegetable oil, and baby, mineral or paraffin oil, with at least one mention of Vaseline.

Obviously the “active” ingredient in peanut butter is peanut oil. And I have paraffin oil for my oil lamps and olive oil for cooking. So I made a mix of 1/3 each of peanut, paraffin and olive oils and grabbed a couple cotton wash cloths.

I soaked one corner of one wash cloth in the oil combination and thoroughly wiped down every piece of black plastic on the Silverwing including the handlebar covers and dash, the cvt cover and the Kappa top case, then thoroughly rubbed clean all these areas with a clean cotton wash cloth.

The first two images are the plastics prior to treatment with these oils. The second set of images are after.

Various videos had follow ups as long as seven months, and the results of various household oils actually fared fairly well over time. This might need to be repeated once or twice a year.

(I also applied a generic spray “wet tires” product on my tires.)renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” 7f0f3110
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” 70a9f410

Last edited by BrianInVA on Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: DIY black plastic “restoration”   renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2022 3:49 pm

renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” F8f72d10
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” 78a08710
renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” 15263f10
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: DIY black plastic “restoration”   renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2022 4:05 pm

I saw videos up to seven months after various household oils were applied to car bumpers and it actually did fairly well.

I might need to repeat it once or twice a year.

Plus my bike smells like a pb&j sandwich crossed with Italian cooking by candlelight. 😎😎😎
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: DIY black plastic “restoration”   renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2022 5:12 pm

Great restoration Brian. Thanks for the tip.

Just a caution: critters sure do like peanut butter so, even though you’re only using peanut oil, you might want to discourage their curiosity by placing a couple of chunks of Irish Spring hand soap on the footboards and maybe around the tires too. Critters really don’t like the refreshing aroma of an Irish Spring morning.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: DIY black plastic “restoration”   renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 2:21 am

It's not just critters, during a long ride when hunger strikes I might be tempted to nibble the bike myself.
It looks like a good result though, I might have an experiment along those lines myself.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: DIY black plastic “restoration”   renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 6:53 am

That greying is of course ageing and UV damage which makes the plastic brittle. Peanut butter is also a very good mousetrap bait which may attract these rodent pests that mark their presence by ****ing everywhere.

I'ver never acquired a taste for the classi PB & J sandwich myself, especially that claggy mouth feel. However I recently tried Marmite with Crunchy Peanut Butter, didn't think I like that either, but I've already finished the jar.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: DIY black plastic “restoration”   renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 3:58 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Peanut butter is also a very good mousetrap bait which may attract these rodent pests that mark their presence by  ****ing everywhere.

I'ver never acquired a taste for the classi PB & J sandwich myself, especially that claggy mouth feel. However I recently tried Marmite with Crunchy Peanut Butter, didn't think I like that either, but I've already finished the jar.
I didn’t have any bottled peanut oil.

But I do have a big jug of all natural, fresh ground, no additives added peanut butter from a Mennonite country store up in Pennsylvania. When it sits unused longer than a week, the peanut oil settles out on top of the peanut butter.

So this is what I used for this episode of “custom cooking and cleaning with your favorite cuddly curmudgeon.”

Come to think of it, I think I got my paraffin lamp oil from the Mennonites too. I wonder if they can cook Italian…?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY black plastic “restoration”   renew black plastic - DIY black plastic “restoration” I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1