Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Need fuel sending unit

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
eli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2022-05-10

Need fuel sending unit Empty
PostSubject: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2022 3:01 pm

Hello, new to the forum, I just acquired a 2002 600 silverwing with flooding problems so I changed the fuel pressure regulator and it runs like new but i I noticed the guage was flashing one bar even though I filled it up so I took the fuel pump assembly out to check the sending unit and “suprise” it don’t have one. So I assume it had a problem and someone just left it out. What are the chances of finding just the unit even used would be good. Having been a mechanic all my life I am pretty good at improvising, anybody tried this. The bike has sat a lot, it only has a little over 4000 miles on it but the tank is clean inside so I guess it just gummed up the sending unit.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2022 3:11 pm

Welcome aboard the board eli.  A fuel sensor is a pretty rare topic of discussion on this board ... usually because there are very few issues with them.  I'd suggest eBay for used or of course, your Honda dealer for new would be your best best.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2022 4:29 pm

scratch Hmm… If all you are missing is the sending unit resistor, wiping arm, float arm and float you might consider adapting those electrical parts from a Reflex (NSS250).

At less than $50 and assuming that those two Reflex items fit your existing Silverwing pump body support (which they probably will), you’d have to remove the sending unit resistor from the Reflex assembly and solder the wires to the Silverwing pump cover terminals. It would then only require fabricating a properly configured float arm. The Reflex float arm is not the same as the Silverwing. However the resistor wiping arm probably is.

Since the Reflex predated the Silverwing it’s a good possibility that Honda utilized off-the-shelf components to adapt to the Silverwing design. Highly doubtful that they designed a special fuel sending resistor & wiping arm to use on their “new” Silverwing fuel level sending unit.

If you are willing to take that $50 risk I can give you the measurements (and photos) of the Silverwing float arm.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2022 3:03 am

i have a couple of complete tank sender units in uk they are on ebay uk think priced at £40 each
Back to top Go down
eli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2022 7:20 am

Cosmic-jumper I would appreciate those measurements and pictures, thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2022 8:35 am

Photos and measurements sent. Please let us know how you get on with this.

Hopefully you’ll give the tank itself a good cleaning. Chances are that the bike had been stored for a long period with half a tankful and that fuel deteriorated and left the pump & sending unit a ball of varnish and rust. When the previous low life bast’d owner discovered that he did a quick ‘n dirty by removing the sending unit then selling off the bike.

So the moral is, don’t store the bike with less than a full tank. Preferably store the bike with non-ethanol fuel.

If things don’t work out, I might be persuaded to part with this pump I have.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 12:09 am

Siataukreg wrote:
i have a couple of complete tank sender units in uk they are on ebay uk think priced at £40 each

Can I have the link to this? I'm also experiencing a faulty fuel tank sensor as well. Blinking 1 bar fuel gauge even after topping up to full tank.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 6:48 am

dovahkiin wrote:

Can I have the link to this? I'm also experiencing a faulty fuel tank sensor as well. Blinking 1 bar fuel gauge even after topping up to full tank.

Wait!  Before you rush off and go to the expense and aggravation of replacing the fuel pump assembly, please use the Search window. We’ve had quite a few discussions here about fuel gauge problems. 99% of those problems are caused by a “contaminated” fuel gauge sending unit.

Do a Search for Fuel Gauge Mystery, Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow Up, and Techron.

Those discussions, and others, will shed light on your issue as well as offer a possible solution.

Search is your friend.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 12:21 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
dovahkiin wrote:

Wait!  Before you rush off and go to the expense and aggravation of replacing the fuel pump assembly, please use the Search window. We’ve had quite a few discussions here about fuel gauge problems. 99% of those problems are caused by a “contaminated” fuel gauge sending unit.

Do a Search for Fuel Gauge Mystery, Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow Up, and Techron.

Those discussions, and others, will shed light on your issue as well as offer a possible solution.

Search is your friend.

Yes! I've been lurking and have already seen those posts.

Regarding the Techron, I've used STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It's more readily available where I'm from and it has the same type of detergents in the Seafoam that's been recommended on the forum.

However, I've dumped half of the stuff in and ran it for about 200km. No change. But I just pumped petrol again and dumped the other half in. Hopefully it clears up whatever's messing with the fuel sensor!
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2022 3:20 pm

dovahkiin wrote:
Siataukreg wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203838338969
Back to top Go down
eli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2022 11:53 am

Thanks cosmic-jumper for your help, I was able to get a sending unit reasonably, however the range on resistance was too broad. I was able to get it up close to the 42 ohms but too much on the high side, installed it anyway at least it reads full when full but drops to e at about 1/2 tank but I can live with that. Just keep up with the milage, at least the e bar is not flashing all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need fuel sending unit   Need fuel sending unit I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need fuel sending unit
Page 1 of 1