Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak   Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2021 7:51 pm

" Also, the lower half of the engine gets oily, so the oil seal on the alternator side must be the cause? Is there another place from where the engine sweats oil? "

There's several areas that can leak oil historically on Silverwing, oil filter, oil drain plug, oil press. sensor, water pump O rings, but the alternator stator wires rubber seal block at front area of right crankcase cover is fairly common, sometimes you can clean exterior of this seal with plastic safe solvent or alcohol, etc, and coat area with god quality RTV sealant like Permatex ultra black, etc, let dry 24 hours. Otherwise there's a more involved/permanent fix, search for it.
Back to top Go down
efinglada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2020-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak   Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 7:51 am

Hi ZRX,
It must be the alternaror cables rubber seal, everyting else seems clean
Thanks a lot
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak   Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 1:05 pm

I have the same problem. I top up a small amount of oil from time to time and clean the underside.

I might get around to fixing it someday!
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak   Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 6:20 pm

Fixing the alternator grommet seal isn't difficult bit it is a bit time consuming as you need to remove the right swingarm (but not the wheel) to get to the case, plus assorted tupperware to get good access. The case is held on by magnetic force from the alternator, and is sealed by your choice of gasket adhesive.
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak Img_1422
Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak Img_1421Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak Img_1424
Back to top Go down
efinglada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2020-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak   Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Thanks Terry, and Mech1, very good information!. It is nice to know in advance where to look

I am quite sure that the oil leak on the right side comes from the alternator and spreads down to the oil pan

Fixing the oil leaks will be my New Year's resolution!

Happy Christmas!

Eduardo
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak   Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 1:40 pm

It's always great to have pictures of the 'real thing' here on the forum. I like to know what I'm going to find when I go rummaging. Time to get mine fixed..me thinks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak   Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stator (Alternator) oil seal leak
Page 1 of 1