Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing

Go down 
+4
bikerboy
GHM-PM
Meldrew
Microbike
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Microbike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Microbike

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-06-24

renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing Empty
PostSubject: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 4:47 am

Morning all, thank you for the entry on to the forum. I’ve bought a black Swing from a gentleman in Surrey who bought this 2012 26,000 mile bike after 50 years off motorbikes, but couldn’t get used to the clutch less ride, and the low speed manoeuvring. The chap did make a few posts on the UK Swing Facebook page, and the bike had a tan brown saddle when I bought it, with a splodge on the saddle, which turned out to be brown vinyl spray paint! (Stripped back to black using thinners :D )

I live in Devon near Exeter. As a late forties rider, I have owned nearly 80 bikes in my time, everything from a Yamaha FS1E to RD350LCs, up to a ZZR1100, a R1150R and a ST1100 Pan. Also bought a Burgman 400 when they first came out. And an original Silverwing 500 (sold to my Dad!) Although I love cars too, bikes have always represented personal freedom to me, and offer a connectedness with the surroundings, in a way that cars never can IMO.

I don’t really have any friends with motorbikes.  No one who comes round checks out my bikes. So I have no pressure (apart from myself) to ride with others, or to own a particular brand or type of bike, or get egged on to keep up with other riders.

A big part of me being convinced it was time to get back into maxi scooters was the MCN review online, along with the glowing owner reviews.

Finding the issues:
On getting her home, (she’s long, but just fitted in my camper van) I filled up the fuel tank the next day at Exeter Sainsbury’s to go for a ride, but on walking back to the bike I saw fuel leaking out the bottom of the bike. I had noticed she’d smelt strongly of fuel in the van, but as the tank was only half full, no fuel was leaking on initial inspection with the owner, or on the test ride. I rode home and stripped the plastics back to get a look underneath. I spotted the seal around my fuel sender / pump was puckered, and on refilling the tank it was clear the seal had gone. (Tip: put talcum powder around an area to spot a fluid leak).

A chap who’s a mobile mechanic in my area likes Honda’s and was happy to take the bike to his workshop (especially as the plastics were all off!!) and quickly ordered and replaced the seal. Job done. I got him to do new plugs and oil and filter whilst he had it. I then thought perhaps the gauge was faulty as there was possibly two thirds full tank at this point, but it was showing completely full. But it started going down again as I rode, and I’ll have to monitor that. Perhaps SW fuel gauges aren’t all that accurate.

Other thing to sort is the bike has been fitted with heated grips which work, and spotlights on the lower fork legs, which on being turned on immediately blow their fuse, so got to sort that. Bad wiring probably.

Impressions:
So, I’ve ridden a bit on her so far, and my daughters accompanied me several times. My first impressions are of a surprisingly tight / new feeling bike, well screwed together, much easier to move on my gravel than my other bike R1100RT, LOVE the twin’s engine note at tickover sounds like a purr, easy to ride, don’t try and blip throttle at walking pace as there’s a fraction of a second where the drive kicks in but could cause you to drop it (previous owner). Underway this thing flies!! Wow. Who knew 50hp could be enough. Compared to my 1100 twin, I wasn’t really missing any go. Incredible. Love the under seat storage. Love the hand brake. Love the aero Givi screen. Really like the exhaust twin pipe look at the back. Would like the spotlights further up higher near handlebars, I don’t like them down low as it emphasises this “isn’t a real bike”. Will attempt to install higher up (anyone else fitted spots higher at front?). Bike is capable of being both fun on country roads, and leggy enough to cope with lingers rides / dual carriageway/ motorway.

I’ve ordered the back rest for the pillion seat. Can’t see anywhere you can buy (UK) a rider back rest?

I can see the SW snags might be: small tank range (will see if it bothers me, I rarely ride further than hour and a half), lack of engagement with the vehicle itself (ie missing clutch and gears, which I’m not), image not macho enough (I think I’m passed all that now!). So far I think it’s a pretty amazing bike!

It may be good enough to replace my R1100RT, which is an incredible piece of engineering, particularly the telelever fork. BUT she’s a weighty thing. And having had a rotator cuff shoulder op, I do find her a struggle to manhandle in and out of my garage on gravel.

One question I’ve got: are they still making the Silverwing in 2021 now?
Another question: does the bike have a fuel usage computer trip like the Pan European?

renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing E08d8710
Picture of my bike in Ashburton, Devon.

renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing 36eaed10
Seat had been badly sprayed, and some had rubbed off, so I removed the brown (although it did look ok from a distance.)
renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing 1c189c10
Finding the leak.

renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing B95e4610
My other bike - lovely 1997 RT.

Thanks all, safe and happy riding to y’all!

Last edited by Microbike on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 5:18 am

Hello mate, brown seat on a Silver Wing!  The gentleman from Surrey that you bought it off was none other than GoonerKev from Reigate. Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 7:10 am

Thanks for the lengthy introduction! Sounds like you are into it for the long haul.  Enjoy your scoot and look around on here, loads of good info.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 7:13 am

You will have no problems with tank range , I did the ACU rally three times on mine when I had it, it will get about 200 miles if you are careful so your 11/2 hour jaunts will be easily within range .  The lights down on the forks do make a lighting triangle which apparently make you more visible to other traffic according to some American website that I have forgotten .
Enjoy, it's very capable machine and it's a Honda !!
Back to top Go down
Microbike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Microbike

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 8:01 am

Meldrew wrote:
Hello mate, brown seat on a Silver Wing!  The gentleman from Surrey that you bought it off was none other than GoonerKev from Reigate. Smile
Ha ha! Small Silverwing world eh! Well spotted. Wonder what he’ll buy next…
Back to top Go down
Microbike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Microbike

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 9:06 am

bikerboy wrote:
You will have no problems with tank range , I did the ACU rally three times on mine when I had it, it will get about 200 miles if you are careful so your 11/2 hour jaunts will be easily within range .  The lights down on the forks do make a lighting triangle which apparently make you more visible to other traffic according to some American website that I have forgotten .
Enjoy, it's very capable machine and it's a Honda !!
Thanks bikerboy for advice. Very cool you did the ACU rally on SW, is that the same as the National Rally? I did that once on a Yamaha Majesty 250.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 10:08 am

Welcome aboard the board Microbike and good introduction.

A couple of things, my experience with the SWing's fuel gauges on the two that I've owned is that they are pretty accurate. I've been tracking my last dozen fuel tankfulls and the numbers are fairly consistent depending on what combination of roads I'm on (urban, secondary highway or superslab).

I use between 4.0 & 4.5 liters per 100 kms. and my tank range is at least 300 kms. with my best being 365 kms. (bone dry ... took the full 16 liter tank capacity to fill) and my worst tankful was 285 km. but it only took 12 liters to fill the 16 liter tank so I had room to spare. There is no fuel consumption meter.

I believe you likely have the last of these maxi-scooters as the Honda Silver Wing was discontinued around 2012/2013 I believe. 2009 was the last year they were imported in Canada.

Lastly, I'm not a big fan of lower fork mounted auxiliary lights. There was a fella on this site a few years back that made a light bracket that was installed just below the stock headlight assembly below the fairing. Dennis B. was his name. Use the "search" function" and you'll see lots of pics etc. Unfortunately Dennis has not been active here for a number of years.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 1:42 pm

Hi and welcome, you will find bikers do not know at you anymore but who cares!
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write a very good review of your first impressions of the Silverwing, it should be on its second belt (service life of the belt is 16000 miles and a reminder light comes on.
welcome to the site
The belts are good for many more miles IMHO but why risk it?
I've had bikes for 50+ years, a couple of Pans ST1100's, a Majesty 250, a couple of X9 500's, evo250 and about 40 other ones over the years.
I like solo riding although a bit restricted just lately, but there are Kent branch Honda Owners Club local rides each week which I sometimes go on and 'Great fun on small bikes' where I use my Innova 125.
Enjoy the scoot, I think they are great fun to ride and easy to live with.
regards Dave
Back to top Go down
trooth2u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trooth2u

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Corbin Seat and backrests   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 10:06 am

https://www.corbin.com/honda/hsw.shtml I’ve had this setup on my 2006 since new
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing   renew black plastic - Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from new Sw UK owner, 2012 Black Swing
Page 1 of 1