Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi windshield 04 swing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BJS193
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2021-04-20

Givi windshield 04 swing Empty
PostSubject: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 2:48 pm

Just installed this. I was concerned about the structural integrity of it, and considered getting the mounting bracket kit for it. After adding a flat washer to the existing mounts to allow me to snug them up, and simply adding screws with flat washers to the current vacant holes allowing me to tighten the plastic that the shield mounts to to existing metal brackets I'm totally convinced the bracket kit isnt necessary. My windshield is rock solid. I took her for a spin after a storm with high wind gusts doing 70 mph (only to test her out, I'd never do this as a norm), and she's solid as can be. I passed two oncoming 18 wheelers, and was buffeted around but the shield was stable and secure. i would trust the shield to withstand hitting a bird at 70. Hopefully I never do though. Lol just sayin. I hope this helps someone with the same concerns I had.
Back to top Go down
Naples Vidiot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2021-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Thanks for your post. I’ve got the Givi new still in box bought 10 years ago for my 03 SWing. Haven’t had the nerve to take apart the front nose. I’m 6 ft 1 and the wind hits me dead on. Was it difficult? Any photos BJS? Have a safe one.
Back to top Go down
BJS193
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Wasn't difficult at all. Getting the headlight cover off amounted to removing 4 screws, and pulling it down about 1/2 inch to disengage the plastic hooks on the bottom. Just take your time and work with it. Dont force
Replacing the shield amounts to 6 screws. The rubber owl nuts can easily be pushed down inside the fairing ask me how I know? Lol
I used an air hose to blow it out until it fell to the floor. I then used a drop of can use on the rest to prevent it happening again.
Use the two threaded holes that aren't being used. Those I just put a screw in with a medium size washer and snuggled them up. The two screws holding to shield toward to bottom I removed and added a thin washer so I could
Snug them up a little tighter.im not sure how to add pics, but if you PM me I'll talk you through it

Last edited by BJS193 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 7:27 pm

Yes, the " Garnish" trim panel over the headlight can be a little tricky, after removing the 4 screws, keep panel flat and push/slide down holding the palm of your hand flat on either side, maybe push with finger from top bolt area to disengage the bottom hook/tab, do not lift up, could brake tab.

Personally I would use the metal brackets, not hard to install.
Back to top Go down
BJS193
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 8:32 pm

Yea, I'm sure it isn't zrx212, and I'm sure it helps. I just don't see how it could make it any more sturdy then it already is. So, I thought I'd save my 20.00. I'm cheap I guess. Lol

Btw, I'm in the Florida panhandle....
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi guy's,

If this can help look at this video and go to minutes 4:44 to look on how to remove the windshield on our Silverwing... It is a none talking video but we can follow anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uv2qyxA-AA

Michel
Back to top Go down
BJS193
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 9:01 pm

Thanks maxi. That was helpful
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 9:44 pm

BJS193 wrote:
Yea, I'm sure it isn't zrx212, and I'm sure it helps. I just don't see how it could make it any more sturdy then it already is. So, I thought I'd save my 20.00. I'm cheap I guess. Lol

Well there's one more fastener hole that's not in use in the upper fairing support bracket in stock configuration, look here for more details.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t12118-givi-windshield-help-please

I'm within minutes of the Ocala Forest/Silver springs.
The FL panhandle is fairly big, lived in Panama City for a while over 20yrs ago Shocked
Back to top Go down
BJS193
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm

zrx212 wrote:
BJS193 wrote:

Well there's one more fastener hole that's not in use in the upper fairing support bracket in stock configuration, look here for more details.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t12118-givi-windshield-help-please

I'm within minutes of the Ocala Forest/Silver springs.
The FL panhandle is fairly big, lived in Panama City for a while over 20yrs ago  Shocked

Maybe I'll take another look at installing the brackets.
I'm in milton. 35 miles north west of Pensacola. were about 8 hours a part.
Back to top Go down
Naples Vidiot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 11:32 am

Givi windshield 04 swing 400dc810
Givi windshield 04 swing 41447f10
Thanks BJS for your original post.  Motivated me to pull down the new GIVI.  Started late last night and finished this morning.  Was concerned of warping due to garage storage (14 years) here in SWFL but it fit flawlessly.  I added the extra harness.  Was fairly easy...used a slow speed drill (or battery going dead) and made the holes.  One of the push pins broke but 2 way taped it back on and one Teflon washer is lost in the abyss. Found something similar to replace but what a difference while riding now. My top hairline is not being blown inward.  Ya Gotta keep the hair that’s left right.  Luckily I’m not any taller than 6.1 or shield’s top would be in view.  Now need a can of Plexus to keep clean.  These Givi’s scratch too easy. Have a safe one.
PS photos show my install.  Was it done right?  Not sure if support bracket went on top of GIVI or bottom. Chose bottom   OOPS!

Last edited by Naples Vidiot on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BJS193
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 12:34 pm

Glad you got it done. Yea,makes a big difference. I'm not sure if the brackets go on bottom or top of shield, but I'd guess the bottom. Great pics. Looks like you did a really neat job.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Naples Vidiot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 1:30 pm

Thank you in advance for your reply. So I did it correct according to my photos attached above? I hope so cause I cannot see the brace reaching on top of GIVI. Thx again for your time and talent.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield 04 swing   Givi windshield 04 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2021 5:30 pm

I fitted the re-enforcing bracket simply because the instructions said so. Whether it adds any strength to the operation of the screen I don't know. I feel happier knowing it's there. Just my two-bobs worth.
Back to top Go down

Givi windshield 04 swing
Page 1 of 1