Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Givi Windshield

Go down 
+6
TWJ74
cruiser
DennisB
Scooterian
The Scootist
JeffR
10 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

New Givi Windshield Empty
PostSubject: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi all,

Well, I just changed out my Clearview with the Givi that Santa left me and it was very simple to do. I will put a "Pictorial" in the mods section either later today or this weekend. I will say that the Givi seems to keep the wind off my face much better since it doesn't flex at all really. The Clearview would flex pretty bad at high speed and even more with a stronger head wind. The Givi did great on my short trip on the interstate just now. I got up to 90 mph indicated for a shorter spurt, with a strong headwind, and the shield didn't flex at all and keep a lot more of the wind off my face and head.

I will write up a better review between the 2 when I get more miles for look for the "Pictorial" in the mods section by this weekend. This will work with any shield really. Oh, one more thing, the Givi is further from my face then the Clearview so it seems more motorcycle like to me so far. But like I said, I only went for a very short ride (maybe 5-6 miles on the interstate), so I will wait for a longer review after more miles.

Ride safe,

JeffR
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi,

I know...this may be weird responding to my own post, but after a little over 200 miles now with the Givi I have to say I really like it. I feel I have much more room since the Givi stands more upright and is stiffer than the Clearview. I need to add that I may have received a defective CV due to the severe flexing, in my opinion, so I'm not comparing the 2 until I find out that it is in fact defective.

Since the Givi stands more upright I don't feel like I'm going to be hitting the shield anymore, so that is kind of nice really. It seems a bit quieter and I can keep my shield up on my 3/4 helmet going 80-85 mph. It will probably still stay up at higher speeds but I just haven't tried yet. I also feel more relaxed since I don't have the wind hitting my helmet doing highway speeds anymore, so that is another plus for me. I do feel some back pressure against the back of my helmet and back, but not much at all. I have to kind of think about it to realize the pressure.

Again, I don't want this to be considered a comparison, since I would never have bought the Givi if the CV didn't flex so much. I would like to thank honda-silver for informing me that someone else received a defective one. I was just thinking that all CV's flex'd like this but they don't. If the CV didn't flex.. then it would be equal to the Givi I'm sure.

I also emailed www.scootertrap.com a few more of my pictorials on installing modifications, in the Silver Wing 600 section, and Matt even mentioned my name on his site in the same section. I placed a couple more pictorials here too yesterday so if you plan to install a Givi passenger backrest or air filter maintenance you may want to look in the mods section.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Jeff,

I know that the windshield install/removal may be covered elsewhere but you should go over the removal of the plastic piece that has those two hooks/attachment points that have to been pulled just so or it breaks. pale

I got lucky and managed to get it off intact but it would be so easy to crack. The Givi really does work well! cheers

Captain
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 10:55 pm

Captain,

Welcome to the site and hope you like it. What are these attachments you are referring to? Can you explain where they are located? I didn't install the metal pieces when I installed my Givi since I have had them before and didn't think I needed them. Are these what you are referring too? Thanks for joining and feel free to post as you like and also post some pics in the Album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 1:07 am

No, I didn't use the metal pieces either. I was talking about the plastic fairing piece with the hooks on it. Tricky to remove. However, I noticed when going over the site that there is a section on installing a windshield so I probably should've checked around first.

Captain
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 2:01 am

Captain,

I understand now. You're talking about the front cowling/grill. It is kind of difficult to explain exactly how to remove it. But I just remove the screws and I push down on the grill can be disconnected from the tabs. That is why I say to gently wiggle and not force anything. But how do you like your Givi now? It is a huge improvement over the stock screen, that is for sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: givi windscreen   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 8:33 pm

Jeff
I have had a Givi windscreen since 2003. It is a tall one--what height is yours?

Diane
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 11:41 pm

Diane,

Givi only makes the one size so it is the same height as yours, unless they made more than the one when you bought yours. It's funny because when I had a Reflex they made 2 Givi screens. So I would think they would make at least that many for the Silver Wing. Go figure. I believe it is about 4 1/2" taller than the stock screen.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Givi Windshield for your wing   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 11:13 am

Jeff:
You mentioned that the Givi seems stiffer than the Clear View, but that you hadn't yet had a chance to test it at speeds of greater than 80 to 85 mph. This past fall I had a chance to test mine at an indicated speed of 107 mph and it did not flex noticeably. Of course at that speed my attention was focused on other things...
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Dcc,

I have had mine up over 105 mph a couple of weeks ago. I was racing a Harley on the way home after a ride. It was alot of fun and we both enjoyed it. The Givi didn't flex at all. It was much stiffer then the Clearview, but again, I need to say I think I received a defective Clearview though.
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 7:38 am

Jeff,

My Clearview flexes a little. I haven't decided if it bothers me. I'm curious, what size shields did you order and how tall are you?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 8:07 am

Hi all,
I installed a Givi windshield a few months ago and had a chance to take the scooter up to 90 or better and it worked great! Very little flexing. Read alot about the Clearview and Givi before I made the choice on buying.
I made the right choice. This Givi Windshield works great on the SilverWing scooter. cheers

DennisB :D

Last edited by DennisB on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : getting it right)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 4:11 pm

my givi works well regarding the wind but in rain the water doesn't blow off. the water just sits there and obstructs my view. i'm quite sure i installed it correctly minus the added brackets and things but the part i look through (i'm short) does not shed water. i sometimes use a squeege (sp) to reach around and wipe a section clear when needed. i also put a sponge in the front air vent to keep water from entering and splashing me in the face. open to suggestions.
Back to top Go down
cruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
cruiser

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 4:40 pm

well here's my dilema, I like seeing over the top of the sheild, I guess for a clearer veiw and somewind. the givi is a tall windshield so the clearveiw looks to be my only choice. I'm 5'9" the guy at clearview suggested the 1" taller. does anyone
have this size and did it make a differance on your ride?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi,
If your new Givi is to tall cut and adjust the hieght so it works for you.

DennisB
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Scooterian wrote:
Jeff,

My Clearview flexes a little. I haven't decided if it bothers me. I'm curious, what size shields did you order and how tall are you?

Scooterian,

I'm sorry I haven't responded to this yet. I just don't remember reading your question. Givi only has the one size of shield but Clearview has quite a few sizes. I had the XL, which is the largest they sell for the SWing, and it was a good height but mine really flexed bad. But as Bill (Honda-Silver) told me once.. that a couple others received a Clearview that flexed due to the factory. One person sent it back for a new one. You would know if yours was flexing like mine did.. it would almost hit you in the chin going fast.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't respond to this and hope you don't think I was being rude. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Cruiser,

Another choice for you besides/in addition to the Givi and Clearview screens is the Cee Bailey screen.

I've had two Silverwings and I equipped both of them with a Cee Bailey screen. I chose the 2 inch higher and 2 inch wider size and it works great for me. I'm a short guy, barely 5'7" tall and I can just see over the screen and the rain rolls off of it. Any flexing at higher speeds is hardly noticible.

The Cee Bailey does not provide coverage for the hands though. It is about the same width as the stock screen at the bottom part but extends out 2 inches at the top half. But I use hand deflectors from National Cycle during wet/cold weather which are easily removed during warm weather.

I am very pleased with the Cee Bailey screen. They will make taller sizes for customers - check out their website.

Tony M.
Rio Vista CA
Back to top Go down
TWJ74
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:58 am

Scooter Jim

I have a new 2010 silverwing,and have a larger windshield to install,I am afraid to do it myself for fear of breaking something,can anyone out there help with some directions on how they did theirs?Thanks
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:50 pm

TWJ74 wrote:
I have a new 2010 silverwing,and have a larger windshield to install,I am afraid to do it myself for fear of breaking something,can anyone out there help with some directions on how they did theirs?Thanks

Here is a Youtube video ( https://www.youtube.com/user/HondaSilverWing400#p/a/u/1/5uv2qyxA-AA ) starting at 4:47.
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Has anyone ever went to have a Givi windshield cut down by two inches? Who did it, and roughly what did they charge you? I ask because I'd like to get one but hate looking through a windscreen. As my Laminar Lip is fine at one and a half inches over stock, I think I could go for two inches or less above stock. While I like the Clearview with vent, I prefer Givi's straight up profile. The CV is either going to direct air at my helmet or I'd have to get a taller one that I'd end up looking through. And it costs a lot more too---a big consideration with me.
So I want to know if anyone has cut their Givi down and how much it cost them, so as to factor all that into the cost comparison to be fair.
Back to top Go down
john harper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Bill,
Yes, I have a Touring Givi winshield on my wing, and it was 6 inches higher and 4 inches wider than the stock windshield. I took it to a glass company that install glass doors and windows in houses and they cut the top down 2 and 1/2 inches for me. They rounded the corners and it looks great! The width is still the same, and my wing handles so much better and the windshield seems more stable! I had to take the windshield off and take it to them, and they cut it down in about 30 minutes. Cost was $20.
Hope this is helpful, I love the height and looks!!
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks John. I got estimates from three plastic shops that all wanted from $40 to $75 to do the job and only one said they could do it while I wait. I ran out of business hours to get to calling more shops & will resume again tomorrow morning. I wish I could get a $20 quote from someone, because then I'd take it!
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: New Givi Windshield   New Givi Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 11:29 pm

I've cut several windshields, including the GIVI. It is not really that difficult. It should come out good enough that most people won't even know its been cut. Here are the steps:

Trace the shape of the top of the windshield onto a piece of paper or cardboard.

Put multiple strips of blue painters tape on the top of the front of the windshield.

Tape your tracing to the windshield and mark the painters tape with the shape of the windshield top. This is harder than it sounds - its hard to match up the center line, and the top is narrower than where you will cut it (so you have to free-hand some of your cutting line).

Tape or clamp the windshield to your work surface. I suggest leaving the top sticking out from the edge of the workbench so that the saw blade does not hit your workbench.

Use an electric jigsaw (I use battery to avoid the cord getting in the way) and a metal cutting blade (20 or 24 teeth per inch) to cut along the line drawn on the blue tape. Be sure you don't scratch the windshield with the saw base by adding more painters tape if needed. Cut as continuously as possible - feed the blade as quick as it will go without pressing too hard. Don't go real slow because the plastic will begin to melt.

Once done with the cut, stop and have a congratulatory beer.

Get a sanding block or wrap a piece of sandpaper around a piece of lumber. Start with 100 grit then move on to finer grades. Gently sand the cut edge and round the edge to match the factory cut. Most of your sanding should be from side to side, not front to back. Be careful not to let the sandpaper slip and scratch the windshield.

Have a vacuum cleaner close by to vacuum up the cuttings and dust.

The GIVI shield may have a reverse curl at the top that helps send air over your head. If it does, it is what you will be cutting off. I found that a Laminar Lip made a dramatic improvement in quieting the airflow after cutting the shield. I've also cut the hand guards off the GIVI and found the wind no longer pushes me around on highways.

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to try - the worst you do is spend $125 for a new windshield.
Back to top Go down

New Givi Windshield
Page 1 of 1