Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Coolant Tank Bottle

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DareStx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-11-12

Coolant Tank Bottle Empty
PostSubject: Coolant Tank Bottle   Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 10:41 am

Hi, I have looked and search, and only found 1 video for reference, but it wasn't my year, I have a 2009 Silverwing with the key and push button for the glove box, how do I remove the cover to get to the coolant refill jug?, There's also I hex nut there, do that come off or do I pry the cover off over the glove box door? TIA
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Coolant Tank Bottle   Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 11:05 am

You’re not the only person who’s had difficulty with that. But do be aware that the coolant fill is located under the right side cubby pocket. Here’s a link to an earlier discussion:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t891-front-right-pocket-remove
Back to top Go down
DareStx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coolant Tank Bottle   Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 11:24 am

thanks Cosmic, we got it, but now what's in there is green, I brought asian blue, can I mix it just to fill the bottle or should I drain it? Or, fill it up with the green? I wasn't planning on draining until I take it to shop for belt replacement
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Coolant Tank Bottle   Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 3:07 pm

DareStx, the most important thing is to use Non-Silicate coolant in your Honda SWing's cooling system.  Typically, light Green coolant is pretty old school and it is used on iron engines and components.  It contains silicates and harsh scrubbing phosphates ... not good for our more modern aluminum engines & cooling systems including pumps and seals.   

Blue coolant is referred to as OAT (organic acid technology) and it will not contain any silicates or phosphates.  OAT coolants can also come in red, bright red, pink, orange and DARK green and they do contain corrosion inhibiters (no silicate or harsh phosphates) that allow them to last a long time. They are sometimes referred to as ELCs -- extended life coolants.  

I'm guessing your machine had a previous flush and if refilled with the light green (silicate based) coolant, then somebody put the wrong stuff in it.  

However, if what you have now is a DARK green colour, then you should be OK.  Mixing different brands and colours of the same coolant type is perfectly OK too.  Again, just do not use silicate based coolants or those containing harsh phosphates.  If the coolant you possess had those, they would be labelled as such on the container.  You can also Google the brand/type for more detail.  

I think the Asian blue coolant you have should be fine.  If it were me, I would perform a full drain of the cooling system and replace the existing light green coolant with the fresh, blue coolant.  As a bare minimum, I would drain the coolant reservoir bottle of the light green coolant and refill with the blue coolant.  

Personally, since our machines use so little coolant (at least compared to some of my vehicles), I use the blue Pro Honda HP Coolant (see pic below).

Coolant Tank Bottle 20210210

I hope this helps you and others.  How far away (time or miles) are you from a new belt and a complete coolant drain service?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Coolant Tank Bottle   Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 3:13 pm

If the level of the coolant is only slight, maybe an inch or so down, I would leave it until you have the belt replaced and get the shop to flush and replenish the system as per sonuvabug above.

If the level of the coolant is 'well down' and If the belt change is a way off yet, then maybe top it up with distilled water provided the bike isn't subjected to cold temperatures. Just my ten bob's worth.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Coolant Tank Bottle   Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
You’re not the only person who’s had difficulty with that. But do be aware that the coolant fill is located under the right side cubby pocket. Here’s a link to an earlier discussion:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t891-front-right-pocket-remove

Further to Tim's post, if you crouch down in front of your SWing, and look up into the right hand side of the wheel well (it'll actually be on your upper left if you're in front and looking back at your SWing), you'll see a cut out viewing window in the tupperware that shows the minimum and maximum lines of your coolant reservoir bottle.  I took a black marker and accented those horizontal lines to make it easier to see them and where the current coolant level was at.

To fill/add to the reservoir bottle, you need to pop part of the cubby door assembly off to access it from above.
Back to top Go down
DareStx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coolant Tank Bottle   Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2021 4:01 pm

thanks all for the response, my husband will try to drain it later today, I've only owned this scoot for 2 weeks, so just making sure all is right before I put alot of miles on it, currently sits at 12503 miles.
Back to top Go down
DareStx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Coolant Tank Bottle   Coolant Tank Bottle I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2021 7:15 pm

thank you all, my husband was able to flush the coolant, and without removing the bottom panel
Back to top Go down

Coolant Tank Bottle
Page 1 of 1