Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Blue Ridge parkway

Go down 
+3
oldwingguy
Dale N.
Roadman45LC
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Roadman45LC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-07-06

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Had a great ride, put the Wing in the pickup and went to Maggie Valley, NC.
Rode for two days with GoPro on helmet. Leaves not at peak but still nice.
The video I got is pretty good. The Silverwing is the perfect bike for scenic rides.
I found a sign in front of an open gate that said"28 miles to Cherokee unimproved road, one way, no return' so later I came back and road that down the mountains on that gravely, rocky, muddy narrow one lane road but that's another story.
Attachments
Blue Ridge parkway AttachmentSWcopy copy.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(271 Kb) Downloaded 19 times
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Sounds like a fun? ride Roadman. Not sure how much fun rocky, muddy narrow one land roads are tho... LOL
Beautiful photo tho. Love outdoor scenes like that.
Quick question tho. How long was that one lane road?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 6:19 am

Roadman, I know the road of which you speak, no different now then in years gone by Smile We have a few of those in our area.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 9:23 am

Too bad the scooter had to make the trip in a pickup. They were designed to ride.
Back to top Go down
Roadman45LC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 11:33 am

Yes, I agree, In the South Eastern US with limited time, I could not justify traveling on I-75 for fear of my life, the interpretation of justifiable vehicular homicide is appalling in the west.
Attachments
Blue Ridge parkway Attachment28M.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(238 Kb) Downloaded 7 times
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Yes, I agree, In the South Eastern US with limited time, I could not justify traveling on I-75 for fear of my life, the interpretation of justifiable vehicular homicide is appalling in the west.

I say the same for I-95, wannabe NASCAR with NO respect for rules.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 2:28 pm

Having lived/ridden in Korea/Japan/Italy/Germany and now the south of US, as daily rider I see nothing wrong with I-75/I-95 being ridden on scooter. I use I-75 daily.
Back to top Go down
Roadman45LC
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Hats off to you Sir! Anyone riding that long is real good at it. I am not. I only have 19K miles. I made some rules early on that I learned from one of the chief vehicular homicide investigators in Florida. Ride no longer than you can keep your situational awareness at it's peak, do not listen to a radio, keep your head on a swivel in city traffic ETC,Etc. After 4 hours with several stops I am not paying acute attention any longer. I research many traffic accident reports for common mistakes. "A man's gotta know his limitations" was coined by one of our favorites.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Nothing wrong with trailering a bike to a destination. Wake up fresh and ready to ride. Weather this time of year can be all over. South East has gotten a lot of rain this year and Hurricanes lately or what's left of them.

Dirty Harry. Look up best Quotes from those movies on youtube that's funny.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 8:18 am

Nothing wrong trailering bike.....if you are trailer biker....to me riding is the thing!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 9:20 am

Some notes on trailer bikers---#1 Daytona=great trailer biker gathering....and later in season Sturgis. Quality of riding at both places=not great, Noise is! #2 I noticed in Helix Hayday---most rode to the annual gathering in MO=great....then the trailer bikers came---often falling all over themselves in the gravel area of the venue----the ride ins seemed to have more skill----maybe got it on the long ride in.

Some thing I have leaned about modern maxi scooters---they, to be ridden skillfully take more skill than real motorcycle---think no foot pegs/no tank to grip, often rear weight bias---but maxi scooters often appeal to old farts who never had much experience or skill when they were younger....and wives, who do not want to shift. Probably the Kansas/Iowa farm girls have no trouble---used to machinery.

Lots of practice, professional quality gear to keep you warm and dry helps.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 4:03 pm

john grinsel wrote:

maxi scooters often appeal to old farts who never had much experience or skill when they were younger....and wives, who do not want to shift.

Is this why you started riding scooters? I switched to scooters because of the storage capacity I needed to service computers of a chain store.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 7:36 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Nothing wrong trailering bike.....if you are trailer biker....to me riding is the thing!

It's one thing trailering to Bike Week or Sturgis just to ride around town a few miles for show. BUT if your destination is 600 miles and it takes 2 days and you're tired after that you won't want to ride on the 3rd day and miss the roads you came to ride.

So true it is about the ride.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 6:44 am

Ride everyday and you do not get so tired on trip. I find/found regardless of age/condition---get off every hour or 50 miles walk around look at bike.....and you are good for long days with no pain or boredom....providing warm and dry clothes/boots/mitts/helmet, etc
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 7:58 am

john grinsel wrote:
Ride everyday and you do not get so tired on trip. I find/found regardless of age/condition---get off every hour or 50 miles walk around look at bike.....and you are good for long days with no pain or boredom....providing warm and dry clothes/boots/mitts/helmet, etc

Mr Grinsel, how many miles do you typically ride per day when you are on one of your legendary long trips —say to Alaska, for example?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 8:24 am

3-400 miles a day fine when you are trying to get someplace. 250 works, too, when not in hurry and do not worry about spending more money than necessary.

Right now Age/Boredom factor in. I ride alone 99% of the time.

I have never done 1000 miles in 24 hours---quit at 986 when I started seeing things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blue Ridge parkway Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Ridge parkway   Blue Ridge parkway I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blue Ridge parkway
Page 1 of 1