Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 Empty
PostSubject: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:10 am

Link to part 1: https://www.silverwing600.com/rides-and-stories-f10/skyline-drive-blue-ridge-parkway-part-1-t175.htm

Link to part 3: https://www.silverwing600.com/rides-and-stories-f10/skyline-drive-blue-ridge-parkway-part-3-t178.htm

Day 4, May 26, 2008 – Front Royal, VA to Waynesboro, VA (The Skyline Drive 105 miles). Just 105 miles – but what a day, this is why we ride. As we sere packing up to head out we chatted with some guys at the hotel who were on their way back to TX after participating in the “Run For The Wall” Memorial Day ride into Washington D.C. and “Rolling Thunder” through the streets of D.C. They told us amazing stories about riding through MS and how they were treated so well all along the route. They were 80 and 78 years old riding a Gold Wing and Ultra Classic respectively. We started out with a nice breakfast in Front Royal, it was a chilly morning, but the sky was clear and the sun was shining. It warmed up quick. We no more than turned entered the Shenandoah National Park when we saw a pair of deer browsing alongside the Skyline Drive. There were lots of motorcycles out enjoying the day. Bob had a little bit of a mechanical problem (loose bolts on the exhaust system) and that slowed us down a little bit as we made a couple of trips back into town for parts and tools. We ate lunch at a nice restaurant along the Skyline Drive that was run by the park service. It was awesome to sit looking out over the Shenandoah Valley and enjoy a tasty meal. The ride was beautiful with nice clear skies and the sun was in its glory such a nice comfortable ride. We stopped for the night in Waynesboro after about five and a half hours of riding. We checked in and went to dinner, while we sat at the table the sky opened up and the rain gushed down like “a cow peeing on a flat rock”. It was blasting the ground. We caught a bit of a break and got back to the motel during a short respite.

Day 5, May 27, 2008 – Waynesboro, VA to Mount Airy, NC (220 miles). The morning sky was a little cloudy and the temps were cool, but it was not raining. We pulled the covers off the bikes and ate a nice breakfast at the ubiquitous Cracker Barrel. Most of the day the threat of rain was ever present, and sometimes the threat was realized. But, the road was great and the scenery was amazing. Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 08052710
We stopped to pose a photo of our group and check the need for rain gear. Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 08052711

Around lunch time we got a bit of rain and we stopped for lunch at a park service restaurant “Peaks of Otter”. It was really a nice lunch and we are dry which makes it much better. While we are eating another group comes in and with them is a Burgman 650 rider with them. We head back out and the rest of the day is fairly dry, but always on the edge of a mist.
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 08052712

Stopped along the BRP for a photo op.
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 08052713

The ride into Mount Airy on US-52 was really a nice ride. The short spur from the Blue Ridge Parkway was a mildly challenging ride especially after travelling at the slow speeds permitted on the parkway. The stop in Mount Airy was mostly unremarkable. We did eat dinner at Goobers, yes, that Goober from Mayberry RFD. Too much of a tourist trap for my taste, but if that’s your thing the town and attendant attractions would be pretty cool. Went ot bed with gray skies but mostly just a mist.

Day 6, May 28, 2008 – Mount Airy, NC to Boone, NC (102 miles). Day started just like the previous day ended with a very slight mist just hanging in the air. We had breakfast at a Waffle House and headed back up US-52 to Fancy Gap to get back onto the BRP. As we are filling the tanks the mist picks up a good bit and so we also make sure all the rain gear is on and secure. The sky opens up at some point and the clouds come down to visit the ground. We are fogged in and riding in the rain not as much fun as it sounds. The fog is very thick and we are inching along. I do not remember what our goal was for the day, but we make a wise collective decision to stop in Boone, NC for lunch and to tuck in out of the rain. We had a great lunch and checked in to a hotel whose parking lot was filling quickly with bikes. We did some laundry and enjoyed being warm. Met a couple from China who were now living in Canada, we had a great chat with them. Very interesting – in my best Artie Shaw voice.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 1:09 pm

Dale,

Nice post and really nice pics. Are all those scoots Silver Wings? I bet you all had a great time and wish I was there with you all. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 pm

The first photo in this part (2) shows our SilverWing group the bike pulling the Unigo trailer is an '06 and the other 3 are '05's. The next photo includes the People 250. Our spring trips are really a lot of fun. We haven't done any planning yet for this year, I guess I need to get on that soon.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Sounds like a great trip. Boy I stop when it rains, not fun. Great pictures. The hills in the distance are really beautiful. Sounds like some great views in that whole area. Makes it best with good friends.
Thanks for sharing...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:39 am

I was just looking at those pictures again and it makes me long for spring to get here. There is just something for me to just soak in the views of nature. I appreciate riding as a chance to enjoy seeing old barns, beautiful views and nature. That's one of the advantages to me with the scooter not to scare the animals and I can enjoy watching them also. As long as they are not running out in front of me! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-2
Page 1 of 1