Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)

Go down 
+3
oldwingguy
sonuvabug
Bearly the biker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bearly the biker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2020-08-03

Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)   Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:01 pm

I just upgraded my Honda PCX 150 to a real scoot this month. I had been a little anxious on the PCX when riding two-up with my wife (we carry a scooter or bike in a trailer behind our motorhome for EVA's, which often go beyond the local neighborhood streets). As with most vehicular problems I have, though, that one could be easily addressed by adding cc's - specifically in this case, 432 of them.

The new Silver Wing is a 2012 in beautiful shape, but new only to me. It's an ABS version with a Bestem box added by a previous owner, who also had LED turn signal strips adhered to the lid. While not a bad idea, I had to remove those because they were not weathering at all well. Also, the box was wired so that it could not be removed. I'm currently cleaning up the wiring and changing it so that the box can be removed, and re-lining the box interior while I'm at it. I haven't decided what to do yet about turn signals on the box (or not).

The black mount plate under the box looked a little industrial, so I'm color-matching it to the bike's luggage deck (which it had been, and will again be directly bolted to).

As for relevant background, I've done some riding in my time, even though starting a bit later in life than many. Machines sadly only history now include: a 1975 Honda CB175, a 1978 Yamaha XS400D, 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200, 1996 Honda CBR900RR, 1996 BMW R1100RT, 1997 Triumph T595, 1994 Honda Hawk 650 (turned road race bike), 2002 Aprilia RSV Mille, and a 2002 Aprilia RST Futura.

The Mille was used as a track bike, having been acquired during a couple of years as a track coach in the beginnings of Sport Bike Track Time, an Aprilia promoter at the time.

Regarding the Silver Wing, I don't know how serious I'll get with wrenching or mods, but it's helpful to know there are some good people writing on this forum that have already become invaluable resources to my small project's beginning. At some point hopefully I'll learn enough about my new machine to pass something useful forward.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)   Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Thanks for the informative intro Bearly ... welcome aboard the board !

Last edited by sonuvabug on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)   Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Welcome aboard the board as said you already know how handy it is. A 1973 Honda CB 175 was my 1st fuel saver ride.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)   Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 6:25 pm

Welcome Jim.

Your post title reminded me of my high school geography teacher who reminded us in 1979 that "Chicago is at the southern end of Lake Michigan, not at the bottom of it".

I'll be interested to see what you make of the Swing's suspension; as a keen rider and suspension tinkerer (I also have a VTR1000F with Ohlins/Racetech modded forks, and a ST1300 with a Nitron shock/Racetech modded forks) I find myself a bit underwhelmed/unnerved with the front end. Nothing like a project!
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)   Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Hello Jim ,

Welcome on the site...

From up north of your next home.

Your welcome home anytime !

Michel
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)   Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2020 11:55 pm

Howdy, good to see you are living the dream! Lots of info here, pretty well organized too.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)   Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Welcome Bearly to the BEST SWing site in the Galaxy! I haven't had anybody from another planet tell me different yet, so...

Great intro also. Lots of info here to either search or ask.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)   Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Lake Michigan! (well, not really *in* the lake...)
Page 1 of 1