Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking

Go down 
+11
bikehiker
exavid
Mike from NS
john grinsel
Ejscoot
GHM-PM
CathyN
Easyrider
Cosmic_Jumper
oldwingguy
Dale N.
15 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking Empty
PostSubject: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 8:20 am

At 80 and 64 years of riding for everything and doing over 1.5 million miles------actually thinking of taking car on trip.

About 2 weeks of daytime temps at my house of 95-105 F actually thinking of taking car with AC on trip I am making to Northern Wisconsin around the middle of July. It is just too hot here, among the other things wrong with the south.

Probably will change mind by the time take off arrives and use scooter. There is some fun involved with bike! Car has AC!

Purpose of trip---High School class re-union, Organizer called me and said doing early......as "they are all dying off"

This forum----bikes aging, riders aging, I do not see/feel much actual riding going on. Just adding gadjets!!

Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 8:32 am

I haven't taken any LONG trips on the SWing yet. My wife and I did do two trips from MN to FL on my cycles in the past but it's just not as fun without her on the back.

I do go for rides that are a couple hours each way. It's usually a good excuse to see some sites and get a cup of coffee somewhere. I am thinking of going to Spooner, WI in the near future. There's a cafe there called Nick's Family Restaurant that I want to check out if for nothing more than to find out if the owner is a relative or not. Maybe I can get a discount on the food... LOL
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 9:09 am

john grinsel wrote:
At 80 and 64 years of riding for everything and doing over 1.5 million miles------actually thinking of taking car on trip.

About 2 weeks of daytime temps at my house of 95-105 F actually thinking of taking car with AC on trip I am making to Northern Wisconsin around the middle of July.   It is just too hot here, among the other things wrong with the south.

Probably will change mind by the time take off arrives and use scooter.  There is some fun involved with bike!  Car has AC!

Purpose of trip---High School class re-union,  Organizer called me and said doing early......as "they are all dying off"

Do it, I rode to a couple reunions drove the rest for the very same reasons, no reason to stress yourself and become one of the ( offs ). We had to get classes on either side of our year to attend in order to get the last one catered Sad

This forum----bikes aging, riders aging, I do not see/feel much actual riding going on.   Just adding gadjets!!

Do it, I rode to a couple reunions drove the rest for the very same reasons, no reason to stress yourself and become one of the ( offs ). We had to get classes on either side of our year to attend in order to get the last one catered Sad
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 9:19 am

Belated birthday wishes to you Mr Grinsel. 

At 80 years old, what year did you graduate high school? I think that is a great idea for you to ride there. You'll arrive there as a legend, or as a crazy old man, but nevertheless confirm your old mates' opinion that you're always the iconoclast. James Dean Lives
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 10:28 am

1957----I rode my WLA Harley 45 to my graduation. All times in past when I attended, rode bike or scooter. So nothing new.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Hey Dale,
Maybe retrace the route you both took in your past. Make a pilgramage to her. Float some flowers down a stream you both past. Visit her favorite spots. My 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 12:18 pm

Dale N. wrote:
I haven't taken any LONG trips on the SWing yet. My wife and I did do two trips from MN to FL on my cycles in the past but it's just not as fun without her on the back.

I do go for rides that are a couple hours each way. It's usually a good excuse to see some sites and get a cup of coffee somewhere. I am thinking of going to Spooner, WI in the near future. There's a cafe there called Nick's Family Restaurant that I want to check out if for nothing more than to find out if the owner is a relative or not. Maybe I can get a discount on the food... LOL

Dale, there is a great place for coffee in Ogema, WI 177 east of you. We went there for one of our rides with Maxi-Scoots at our Rally in 2017. The place is called Hill of Beans. Great soup and sandwiches.
You should check it out.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 4:15 pm

John, good luck with whatever you decide. You certainly have earned an AC break if that is what you decide! We all know you can do immense trips. I haven't done a big trip since 2016 and am hoping to get one in before the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 10:28 pm

CathyN wrote:
Dale N. wrote:

Dale,  there is a great place for coffee in Ogema, WI 177 east of you.  We went there for one of our rides with Maxi-Scoots at our Rally in 2017.  The place is called Hill of Beans.  Great soup and sandwiches.
You should check it out.

Cathy

Thanks Cathy, I'll have to give it a check out one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Ejscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2017-05-08

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2019 8:45 am

Awesome John keep on riding!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 am

Have to be in WI---20 July, afternoon, they are having the thing early as all the old farts go to bed early.

Probably will take scooter, different route than normal to avoid construction Beloit to Madison----really no fun, rode it recently coming back from UP of Mich.

If wife goes, she may want to take her new Audi Q-5 SUV, she got yesterday----it has too many bells and whistles for me, but at least it has spare tire and jack.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 7:38 am

Belated birthday greetings from me as well, John! Your riding experience and dedication is something that should motivate us all. Your riding began when I was just 2 years old !!

If you are even slightly considering the re-union trip by car ... then take the car and enjoy the cool comfort. There will be other scooter trips once the weather cools down a bit.

Like I am sure the rest of us tell friends ..."My Silverwing has AC .... it is controlled by the right hand. The faster I go, the cooler the ride. The stop signs and red lights are what bring on the heat."

Have a fun re-union.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 8:42 am

Nice, new photo, Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 11:25 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Nice, new photo, Mike

Thanks, Tim.  That is at a lake quite near to me.  I have loaded pictures into "my" album lately.  One is of Peggy's Cove Village that I mentioned Maggie used in one of the Maxi Scoots calendars.  Another that brought smile was one of a friend's and my Silverwings that we parked for a coffee stop.  The place rented e-bikes and I hadn't noticed the sign we were in front of until home and looking at the day's pictures.  Just wonder how many rental requests they had while we were in the shop.

At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking Oct_3-10

Had hoped to get to Peggy's Cove today for some bike and lighthouse pictures ... but weather is doubtful --- again.

Mike
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2019 10:29 am

This trip in end turned to total crap----wife's new Audi lasted 36 hours until German/Mexican electrics got in the way----Car is still with Audi....not working. They gave us a Toyoda Camry rental...nice appliance but crappy car. So we go off on late start, wife uses GPS (pure crap in my mind), it routed us off I75 north of Knoxville, then later right into Chicago....I stopped her.

Then I got sick, ended up in Emergency Room in Ottuwa IL. Me, maybe creeping crud....too much AC. Home now, recovering.

Camry back seat not very comfortable, car rides like lumber wagon on ruff roads. Would have been much better off taking time with scooter---Wife uses more expensive motels than I do for myself----she like expensive food places.....tastes like same crap to me.

So life goes on.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2019 6:50 am

Sorry to hear that the trip went so poorly John. I was wondering how you made out ... car vs scooter. Hope you recover quickly and the next adventure works out better .
Some GPS routing stories can be entertaining if you let them. One guy told me how his GPS device had him stuck on a clover-leaf for a while. In my case we were heading for PEI through NB on the way home from Sunday River in Maine in March. The GPS directed us to take the ferry every time we got close to a road leading to the ferry(which wasn't running in early March). We were heading for that God forsaken Confederation Bridge. This was in a nasty snow storm in the middle of the night. Talk about a "crappy" drive.

Take care and get well quickly.
Mike
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 10:35 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Have to be in WI---20 July, afternoon, they are having the thing early as all the old farts go to bed early.

At 77 I qualify for that title but I usually putz around on a couple of forums and watch the local news at eleven!! chickendance
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 8:55 pm

john grinsel wrote:
This trip in end turned to total  crap----wife's new Audi lasted 36 hours until German/Mexican electrics got in the way----Car is still with Audi....not working.   They gave us a Toyoda Camry rental...nice appliance but crappy car.  So we go off on late start, wife uses GPS (pure crap in my mind), it routed us off I75 north of Knoxville, then later right into Chicago....I stopped her.

Then I got sick,  ended up in Emergency Room in Ottuwa IL.  Me, maybe creeping crud....too much AC.  Home now, recovering.

Camry back seat not very comfortable, car rides like lumber wagon on ruff roads.    Would have been much better off taking time with scooter---Wife uses more expensive motels than I do for myself----she like expensive food places.....tastes like same crap to me.

So life goes on.

Audi can make engines, but they don't know what a wire and contact point is. Had an Audi years ago. Was a solid 5-cylinder tank. The engine is still probably running in ANOTHER VEHICLE somewhere. Took it in once for a non-working power window and other electric issues. Got the bill of $2,700. Manual transmission became sick and almost left me stranded in Pittsburgh traffic. Was sad to trade in the beast, but needed reliability. Enjoyed the snob appeal and the wonderful ride quality, but was glad to come down from the pedestal to reality, reliability, and deep breathing.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2019 2:05 pm

I've been using GPS for a long time, basically since they were available. Used them in my last airplane where it was a gift from heaven. Lots less cockpit work, accurate ETAs, etc. They made my job very much easier in the ten years I drove charter buses OTR. Lots of car and bike trips using GPS too with no problems.

One thing one should consider is it's nearly always best to use the selection of "fastest" route instead of the "shortest". We had a fatality near here in the mountains a few years ago when some one used a GPS "Shortest" route from Medford to the coast. It took them over Forest Service roads, and onto some trails.  They got bogged down in snow and eventually one of them died walking back for help. The point is that the GPS worked exactly as asked, or programmed. That was indeed the shortest route. Using the fastest route will take one on the best roads available. GPS receivers are still basically computers and the old rule Garbage in Garbage Out applies.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 9:32 pm

GPS works great point to point directions but common sense will still be needed. They are very accurate.

My first job was at a small private airport. 17 years old. Mostly pumping gas and anything that needed to be done. Flight school there and got a little seat time with mechanics after cert. checks.

Owner was an well seasoned stunt flyer and like to scare people on rides. He took me up one day in a Piper Archer and did a loop over the field. He took a pen out of his pocket and set it on dash and said if it falls we are in trouble. Scared me but it was fun .

Ed Braden good pilot.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 3:39 am

Of course your GPS/sat nav is only as good as the software it uses. If you don't update the maps regularly you'll run into problems. I once had an outdated SD card in a TomTom Rider continually directing me off a route towards sections of autobahn that were blocked off and closed.

Even last year heading towards the ferry terminal at Zeebrugge, all the newly constructed roads round one area weren't on the full European maps I'd only bought for my Garmin Zūmo a couple of years before.

It also doesn't help that you can't update Garmin Lifetime Mapping if you have a computer where the operating system is old and won't support the latest upgrades, using a device that doen't have a port to slot a SD card into, or plug in the sat nav itself.

My Garmin Zūmo was telling me the maps needed updating earlier this year and Mrs M used her lap top to get the updates. I binned my iMac earlier this year, the iPad I'm using now is old now and I no longer get software upgrades or some of the latest apps for it. I also bought myself a new 2019 iPad Mini which is right up to date and all I really need these days.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 1:40 pm

It does help if you look ahead on the road a bit.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2019 6:35 pm

John
Belated birthday wishes and sorry trip wasn't as you had planned it mate.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 5:41 am

exavid wrote:
It does help if you look ahead on the road a bit.

Really! There's no need to glance at my sat nav screen anymore than any other instrument reading unless I need to know the remaining mileage to my destination, I get a an audible speed camera warning into my helmet, or I need visible confirmation of  the correct lane to be in at interchanges.

The majority of the time I'm being guided by audio instructions Bluetoothed into my helmet

You also need to remember that 90% of my sat nav usage is in Europe and riding on the right side of the road, back here in the UK we drive on the left. Also there isn't the US familiarity of everything being displayed in English.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 6:57 am

Meldrew wrote
"The majority of the time I'm being guided audio instructions Bluetoothed into my helmet"

That's exactly what I do, I had to go to the Heart Hospital recently and put route in Google maps, put phone on cradle, had it connect to my Bluetooth helmet and set off, I think I looked down twice on the journey and went straight to the place, perfect
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 9:22 am

GoonerKev wrote:
Meldrew wrote
"The majority of the time I'm being guided audio instructions Bluetoothed into my helmet"

That's exactly what I do, I had to go to the Heart Hospital recently and put route in Google maps, put phone on cradle, had it connect to my Bluetooth helmet and set off, I think I looked down twice on the journey and went straight to the place, perfect

Isn't that what everyone does that's invested in a sat nat and helmet comms.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 9:49 am

I do the same although it was fun plotting a route on the PC and then downloading it to the satnav. It all went belly up as far as I'm concerned when Garmin replaced Mapsource which was easy to use with Basecamp which to me was far less user friendly.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2019 1:10 pm

"It does help if you look ahead on the road a bit." Was meant as 'tounge-in-cheek', not sarcasm. Sorry.
We have had several accidents in the area with automobiles being driven into things because the driver was spending too much time looking at their GPS screen instead of the road ahead.

I find Siri does a good job of directing me via my bluetooth helmet. No need for a separate GPS these days. I have a good stand alone GPS app in my phone that works without any cell connectivity if Siri takes the day off. Haven't taken my old Garmin GPS out of the drawer in a couple of years now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking   At   80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

At 80 and 64 years of riding...actually thinking
Page 1 of 1