Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memorial DAY.
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Today at 10:14 pm

» Introduction, because it's the right thing to do.
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby Loosebearing Today at 6:43 pm

» DennisB satnav mount wanted (Calling Meldrew!)
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby Seadog Today at 5:49 pm

» Dr Pulley High Performance Variator Kit For Sale
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby Loosebearing Today at 5:44 pm

» Schuberth!
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 1:40 am

» 2007 Swing 600 for sale, all the trimmings, near Cardiff, Wales.
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Yesterday at 11:06 pm

» DR Pully and Rider weight...
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby Lost it Yesterday at 7:30 am

» Brake Bleeding Nightmare
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Yesterday at 7:08 am

» A nice ride out
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Yesterday at 6:48 am

» Fantastic RAM Phone Mount
Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 3:03 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Mileage on a full tank?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daftarse66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-02-04

Mileage on a full tank? Empty
PostSubject: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi all
After a couple of months of hassle free and enjoyable commuting on my swing I am getting pretty consistent mileage out of a tank of fuel. I’m getting 140 miles before the fuel bar starts to flash. Just wandering what everyone else is getting, and also how many miles is left in it before it stops when it starts flashing? Looking forward to reading your comments. My riding is in mixed traffic and I do like to open it up a bit on clear roads.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Rubber band guru
john grinsel

Number of posts : 2700
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 5:15 pm

As I hate walking----strange territory I fuel every 100 miles----known territory at most 150 miles with SilverWing and pretty much with any bike/scooter. I pay little or no attention to fuel gauge, but use odometer. Last time I ran out of gas=almost 40 years ago in Japan, Hokaido,but was lucky at top of big hill, coasted to gas station.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3024
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 5:45 pm

The best I've gotten has been 214 miles on a full tank. That was roughly 85% high speed (steady throttle hand) Interstate highway miles with the remainder on smooth back roads with light traffic.
Actually I gotten 200+ miles on two different occasions.

That said, around town I usually refill at 150-160 miles @ ~3.5 US gal. YMMV

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2019 8:06 pm

I'm most likely looking for gas at 150 miles. Average 52-58 miles per gallon. 3.4-5 main tank before it's flashing. 55 X 3.4 =187 miles plus .8 gallons reserve. 20-25 more and your close to walking.

Traffic wind and throttle can change things. Sometimes get 60 mpg at first fill and 54 on return trip.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 12:20 am

Hallo Boys! Eat your heart out.....it looks like mileage is also determined by the weight of the rider! I have had 2 Swings over the last 8 years (around 100 000 miles) and on both had a distance of 180 miles before the fuel light starts to flash. Then I can safely do another 20 miles before I fill up. I even managed another 45 miles once - making a total of 225 miles on a tank. I'm a petite 50 kgs.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3153
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 5:11 am

I've filled up at 170 and 180 miles without the fuel light flashing, and that's included times when I've covered motorway miles and had Mrs M along on the rear seat.

Now that I've downsized to a Forza 300, I'm able to scroll through the instrument displays and get my current fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, remaining tank range, and change it from gallons to litres. I also have a range of 200 plus miles, and that's from a smaller 11.5 litre tank.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 1553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 7:29 am

My fuel bar usually starts flashing just before 180 miles. Most I ever did was 222 miles and the fuel bar indicated empty! But I was getting 58 MPG so actually I had a bit more. Closer to empty than I want to see again... That was on US 395 in Northern California and stations were few.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 8:41 am

On average daily puttputting along I get about 330 km. before the light starts flashing. On the other hand if I crank it, I can only get about 200 km or so. It becomes very thirsty very fast. I've learned to restrain my enthusiasm for speed and take back roads.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1221
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 am

Looks like some good numbers but these days I look at in the more smiles per tank rather than miles SmileSmile Waiting for a decent day to get some smiles in but our Canadian friends seem to want to share their arctic air for a longer time this year.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3024
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 12:17 pm

[quote=Mighty Mouse [Snip] mileage is also determined by the weight of the rider? I have had 2 Swings [ride] a distance of 180 miles before the fuel light starts to flash. Then I can safely do another 20 miles before I fill up. I even managed another 45 miles once - making a total of 225 miles on a tank. I'm a petite 50 kgs.][/quote]

Mileage on a full tank? Image15

Harrumph... 50 kg indeed! Ya can't fool me, young lady. 

Everyone knows that gravity is weaker and things & people weigh less at the equator. And also because the equator is the vast waistband of the planet then no matter where you ride it's always downhill.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 4:05 pm

145 miles from commuting 50% on way 50% A roads , generally limit Mway speeds to 60-65. Bike has a top box and me wearing full gear and I'm now down to 12 -13 stone.

Would have hoped to get more mpg from the swing but its a heavy lump , 60MPG + would be nice but think its doing around 50 MPG atm.

Have changed the silencer but other then that its stock!
Back to top Go down
cello33
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 5:24 pm

145 miles from commuting 50% on Mway 50%  A roads , generally limit Mway speeds to 60-65. Bike has a top box and me wearing full gear and I'm now down to 12 -13 stone.

Would have hoped to get more mpg from the swing but its a heavy lump , 60MPG + would be nice but think its doing around 50 MPG atm.

Have changed the silencer but other then that its stock!
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Thing to remember , Imperial gallon is not the same as a USA gallon. I once ran my fist Silverwing to empty and got 220mls out of it. I usually recon on thirty miles once last fuel bar starts flashing.
Back to top Go down
Daftarse66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Great feedback guys, you really are a happy and friendly bunch
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Loosebearing

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 2:55 pm

I've pondered over this for a long time. For me, the fuel tank is so small, I don't bother counting. If the bike is running fine then just take into account all the variables and fill up before the gauge starts flashing.

Got scared in France one time with a pillion and full load, and a flashing fuel gauge. I vowed not to risk it again.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3153
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 7:12 pm

You can get a bit over concerned about fuel lights flashing on maxi scooters I can think of a few times over the years in Germany when it's happened on unfamiliar autobahns, and I've came off at the next exit to look for fuel. Then I've put on an extra 10 to 20 miles looking unsuccessfully for somewhere to fill up, and as the miles clocked up getting ever more worried about running dry.

Then when to my great relief I've eventually found a petrol/gas station and filled up, the pump shows I still had 5 litres or so left in the tank and I worried for nothing. Then I retrace my route back to the autobahn and find if I'd stayed on it there was a fuel stop within a few miles.

Of course as I get older, my mileage on a full bladder is more important. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Site Admin
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1236
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 11:00 pm

I know what you mean with the mileage and bladder Meldrew. If I know where I am and how far towns are in between where I am and where I'm going I might let the gauge get to 1/4 before filling. If I'm unfamiliar with the road and what towns are along my route I'll fill up at 1/2 tank. Then empty the bladder, grab a cup of coffee or a pop/soda, have a smoke and be on my way. I'm OLD and LAZY and hate walking any distance. Riding is funner.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Mileage on a full tank?   Mileage on a full tank? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 pm

When we go on a trip (each riding our own bikes) we start looking for gas at 150 miles. If we haven't gotten gas by 180 miles we start getting worried. At 200 miles it gets to the danger point.

We have the Givi screens on our bikes with the wind wings on the side. They were the tall screens but I cut them down so we can see over the top and they're about the same height as the stock one. The wind wings cut down on the turbulence in the rider position, but I think burn a little more gas. With our new bikes 50 mpg seems to be about the norm on a trip (we always take 2-lane roads (never ride the Slab). Our 2002's used to do a bit better, 52-53 mpg on a trip. But we also have Bestem top boxes on our new ones that our 2002's didn't have, and don't know how they add (or subtract) to the overall wind drag either.
Back to top Go down

Mileage on a full tank?
Page 1 of 1