Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What did you do to your SW today.

Go down 
+72
Murf
JohnyC
DavidinDunnellon
Salth2ofish
Weegie
cjkniss
Mike M
Erdoc48
SWingSteve
zrx212
genius149
1Wingman1
Dutch SilverWing
dovahkiin
BrianInVA
DickO
The Dude
David Willett
Taldaran
smellybeard
winged warrior
Mottza
GHM-PM
hondapete
Naples Vidiot
Delray
steve_h80
sidco10
KennyJoe
Drystal
Mike from NS
sc00ter
DLK
GoonerKev
MikeO
hondacurt
dragonknight76
arskal
cello33
gg194
shyted
GeoffM
motorhead30510
arcamedies
SPCK111
Loosemarbles
nooner
Scootypuff Snr
CathyN
Blzrmike
cotetoi
Max Q
The Bern
joebillybobinark
Cosmic_Jumper
Briorick
Sirkitrider
Easyrider
Mighty Mouse
Meldrew
cube
lcgraham
Dale N.
Chris Olson
janitorj1
bikehiker
Tn Traveler
Pastor Ron
oldwingguy
EvilTwin
Jim Caudill
Mech 1 twa
76 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2018 7:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

I went for a nice ride. 120 miles or so. Despite the weather forecast it was nice.

Try to keep this post active and it will be interesting for all.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Could have been worse didn't crash. I don't know of any shops that will repair a cycle tire big liability issues if something fails later.

Measure 2X cut once.

If it ever stops raining here I might get a full day of riding in.
Back to top Go down
Sirkitrider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-06-24

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 9:00 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Sirkitrider wrote:
< Snip > I would post a pic, if someone would be kind enough to tell how:-)

Not the neatest of copy & paste jobs, but here is Our Dear Leader, JeffR's, tutorial:

How to post a pic:

If you want to post a pic like this below where you see it in your post.  It may seems like a lot of work but once you do it a couple of times it only takes seconds to post a pic or an attachment.  Here is what you do:

1)  Place the picture in your Album.  You can add a pic to your album by:

A:  Select the "Send a Pic" (then)  {Make sure you are in your Personal Album}
B: Upload a pic from your machine-click on "Choose File" (find your pic on your computer) --Hit "Add File"
C: This puts your new pic in your album.

2)  Go the the picture in your Album.

A:  Click on your new picture in your album.  (This brings you to the picture page)
B:  Go to the  "BBCode of the Picture"  (You will see the url in the box)
C:  You need to highlight the entire url in this box (click in the box) - when the box Highlights 
D:  Right click your mouse over the highlighted area and "RIGHT CLICK"  and hit "COPY"  
E:  Go to your post in the topic you want to post in and then --right click -- and hit PASTE

If you just want to post an Attachment to your post as below:

1:  Hit POST REPLY - (towards the bottom of the page)
2:  You come to a new page to reply   -  Scroll down until you see - ATTACH FILE and File Name
3)  Click "File Name" -
4)  Find your picture in the file you placed it in on your computer.
5)  Click the picture and you probably need to hit 'Open" on your file
6)  This will post the attachment in your post.

thanks Tim,  I have not had time to try it yet:-(

Sirkitrider
Back to top Go down
Sirkitrider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-06-24

PostSubject: added a couple more dodads   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 9:30 am

Sirkitrider wrote:
Today I installed new Givi windscreen, eBay mirror risers/extenders, transferred the Givi topcase from the 400 to the Swing, scooched that buttrest back a bit, dug out my old trusty Alaska Sheepskin pad.
Ready for a real ride next week, I hope!

I would post a pic, if someone would be kind enough to tell how:-)

Sirkitrider

And ….. today, or a few days ago actually ….

Added NEP throttle lock. And a temporary phone charging plug under the seat.

Observations:

Givi w/s - non adjustable - As always with Givi, great product.  Stock screen way to short for me at 6 foot tall.  Givi is boarderline to tall.  I can sit up real straight and see over it.  Waiting for Corbin seat arrival/install before I decide to cut the w/s or not.

Givi topcase is great. I love a topcase to put helmet in at stops, picnic cooler, etc.  Size is V40 … NO discernible impact on handling.  Previously had the 46 … it looked better, more sleek than the V40 which is kinda tallish.

Mirror extenders - help a ton.  Good addition, but my Go Cruise throttle lock hits the mirror base now:-(  Extenders seem to have amplified the vibration of the mirrors:-(    so …..

NEP throttle lock - simple and cheap.  Works fine but looks cheap. Okay for now.  Easy to install … zip tie to throttle cables.  Throttle would not snap back at first … put a little lubercation on part of grip that contacts the NEP … works fine.  

Moving buttrest back and up helps marginally.  I MUST have a real backrest.  Corbin seat is on order.  I already have a Corbin backrest that will be mated to the new seat.  Stock seat is not horrible, but Corbin with backrest should be wonderful.  At least it was on my previously owned Burgman 400.

:-(, Honda can't install AC outlet! Put in a battery tender to battery … bought at Cycle Gear a USB that connects to battery tender plug as a temporary solution.

Now have 1500 miles on the SWing.  Did first oil change at 760. Happy coincidence … the oil filter on my 2006 Frontier is the same as the Swing. Nice. And I can run 10w-30 in each one.

The fairing vibrations are annoying!  Otherwise really enjoying the Swing.

Sirkitrider
Attachments
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 AttachmentSwing at church.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(49 Kb) Downloaded 8 times
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 3:58 pm

I added a second swing to my stable by subtracting the CTX. Recently did a 2200 mile week on the CTX and was down in my back for 10 days and my hips hurt from stepping over the seat. I long distance commute once per week via Amtrak so I have a nice swing at either end of the trip...
Back to top Go down
Blzrmike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Well, got back from a little vacation in northern Wisconsin. Trailered the 'Wing so I could ride some of the Wisconsin "Rustic Roads". I had cut my too tall Givi down 4 inches, hoping it would now fit in my enclosed trailer. No such luck, it's still about an inch too tall. I decided to just pull the windshield off to put it in the trailer and reinstall when I got to the cabin. Took it for a test ride without the windshield, just to see what it's like. Around the back roads at 40 mph or so it was pretty comfy. So I put the trim piece on and just rode without the windshield for the week. I only had to ride on one higher speed (60 mph) highway, and at that speed the lack of wind protection was very noticeable. It was pretty rough with the wind pushing me back putting a lot of pressure on my arms. I would not recommend this for any kind of highway riding. Otherwise the 'Wing ran great, handled great with the new Pirreli tire on back, except on one of the "Rustic Roads" where the highway dept had just sealcoated it and put down loose pea gravel! Really, it's supposed to be a "RUSTIC ROAD". I just really hate riding on that stuff. Too hot out this afternoon to put the windshield on, I'll do it later when it's cooler out.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 3:33 am

I rebuilt the rear brake caliper and parking brake caliper. I thought that the rear brake caliper would be more difficult than the parking brake. Turns out the parking brake gave me problems. In trying to install the snap ring on the piston shaft, it broke in half. My local Honda dealer does not show it, but the Honda service manual shows it on page 16-31 bottom diagram. The calipers will be shipped and installed on my 2004 Swing in Idaho. I rebuilt it here in Hawaii because I have all the tools here. Anyway, I am going to use the snap ring from the caliper I will be replacing.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Went for a 120 mile ride stayed local with weather forecast calling for t-storms.  Ate lunch and checked weather I was about to get wet so took off for highway.  Go up on ramp there was a truck flap there and avoided that. Looking left to merge  I pinned throttle and heard a strange noise.   Lost traction for a second on rear wheel strange but no slide.  I think I ran over a sign or metal sheet sounded like metal.
A little scary.   Out flanked storm and stayed dry.  Couldn't duplicate noise after that had to be something I hit.  

Washed SW and went for a short ride today. Pulling away from a light at full throttle strange noise and loss of drive happened again.. SW did this two more times after I tried the same full throttle starts. Noise was belt slipping explains big hesitation and loss of drive. No V light.

Pulled belt cover and found some oil in there mostly near driven pulley area. Drained rear diff. and found 12 oz in there plus what had leaked. I must have over filled it and it pushed out. I hope that's my only issue.
Refilled diff and cleaned everything making sure not to over fill it this time.
New belt on order.
Any chance that oil got on driven pulley clutch shoes???? Shoes are making normal squeal at times but don't seem to be slipping.

Back to top Go down
Briorick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Briorick

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-02

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 2:28 pm

My day started out great. Weatherman calling for rain this afternoon so thought I would take an early ride to Petsmart ( 60 mile rt ) for bird food ( Cinnamon Cheek Conure ) and hopefully beat the rain home. Great riding weather.

And then.....about 10 miles from home, on my return shopping trip, my speedometer took a dive and quit working.  So I stopped and filled up the gas tank and thought well, I'll check it out when I get home. Beat the rain home.....that was a huge plus!

Long story short, I did a search on the forum and sure enough my problem was speed sensor cable that had been frayed. Seems it had been rubbing for quite awhile on the rear tire and had created a break in the cable. 15 minutes later, it was repaired and re-attached, and I was on the road again testing it out. Perfect fix!  

Love this forum. Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Weather sucked for about 3rd weekend.

Replaced drive belt and pulled driven pulley. Sanded shoes and drum no oil in that area. No squeal for now.
Went for short ride no belt slipping or slapping. 13.7k belt was rubbing on cover.
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-06-17

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 pm

FINALLY got the oil drain plug loosened and ready now for an oil change.
To the PERSON that posted to use a jack & put pressure on the socket &
power bar to get it loose a "GREAT BIG THANK YOU". I didn't use a power
bar - a long socket and a pipe wrench on the socket finally got it loose.
Now for a new drain plug & I'm ready to ride.
Thanks for the INFO.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 9:30 pm

installed corbin seat on my '13. all went well except for the engine cover. gonna give it a 4th chance tomorrow to instill properly.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 am

Bob replaced the steering head bearings about a month ago. Dealer did it about 3 years ago. Also installed an Atlas Throttle Lock we picked up at the BMW Rally last month. Pretty nice.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 7:43 am

Went to Great Bentley (largest village green in England) bike meet.
Looked at the shiney .This Burgam had some serious tour adaptations
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 20180810
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 10:21 am

Interesting. I had a similar black Burgman 650 Executive fitted with the same Givi E52 top box with backrest ( the Givi Monolock rack fixed on top of that on is a bit silly). I used a similar tunnel bag too, and what fun it was clambering over that seat high tunnel bag getting on and off the lardy Burgman... not.

Those Givi pannier rails mean an already wide maxi scooter is going to be a lot wider even with smaller top loading 21 panniers fitted, and has to be removed to access the fuel flap and filler cap.

A fitted tow hitch too, but enlarge the photo and lad gets brownie points for that nice piece of alloy checker plate used as a foot for the side stand. I've also got one of those too, given to me by a mate (buddy) in the MZ Riders Club over 30 years ago.

I'm really glad I got Burgmans out of my system after a couple of years ownership of the 650, and the taller Secdem screen I had on it is taking up space in my shed.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 3:28 pm

In preparation for hurricane Lane, I secured my Swing to my garage posts. Removed and stored my top box.
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 Img_2018
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Easyrider wrote:
In preparation for hurricane Lane, I secured my Swing to my garage posts. Removed and stored my top box.

Hol-ee crap! Erupting volacanoes. Wrath o' god storms. Maybe it's not the end of the world, but you can probably see it from there.

Best wishes from all of us here for your family's safe survival.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 8:19 pm

Easyrider Hope that storm goes more to the West. Big rain and wind for you.

HI. Little League team is doing well here in PA. Finals for sure.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Thank you all so much. Will try and post some pictures of the storm and the after effects. That's if I am still here. LOL!! Currently we are expecting a lot of rain and wind. The island of Hawaii already reporting 2 feet of flooding. I did everything I could to prepare for the storm. The eye of the hurricane is 240 miles from Oahu, where I live.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Stay safe Easyrider. Praying for all of you on the Islands.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Thank you all for your prayers and concerns! The islands of Oahu and Kauai were spared from rain and wind from hurricane Lane. The counties of Maui and Hawaii are experiencing rain and flooding. The Hawaii island has recorded over 40 inches of rain fall. Lane broke up super fast from a category 4 hurricane to a tropical storm in a single day. It is still lingering in the Hawaiian waters causing rain and cloudy skies. Once again mahalo for all your concerns.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Glad to see it wasn't any worse, family members rode out the 1992 event, they were in a gymnasium and said they could feel the walls moving, terrifying to say the least. The amounts of rain are staggering we talk inches they talk FEET of rain.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 am

Today, I replaced my front brake pads. I had to clean up the caliper and push the pistons back into their housings which is worrying me. The pistons are corroded and I'm hoping that they haven't gone back far enough to damage the seals. I split the caliper so as to get access to the pistons and cleaned them as best I could. So far so good, they're working OK. Only time will tell if they start leaking.

The fluid in the front brake reservoir looks ok but the reservoir itself looks a bit gammy. I have a spare reservoir/lever assembly which I intend to clean up, fit new seals and then get the caliper off and give that an overhaul with new pistons/seals etc. That's a winter project (although I still ride in the winter) so that's the next job.

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 pm

I went for a nice ride good weather and not to hot. Riding some good mountain roads around central PA. New belt working great slight reduction in engine speeds. Averaged 58 MPG a record for me even with the hills. Nice day.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 pm

Completed my first maintenance tasks today - air filter and spark plugs. Was a little worried pulling off the tupperware part that covers the filter housing as it was quite reluctant to be removed. But luckily, there was a happy ending as I got it off and on without damage. The jobs were made a lot easier with the excellent pictorials provided by JeffR. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2018 2:27 am

I know what you mean about the tupperware over the filter housing but after doing it once the next time it will be easier. Why are there 16 screws holding the air filter cover on? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2018 4:16 pm

15 and the 1 in middle you always miss.

Pulled my water pump to fix a oil leak only to find WP is the leak. Parked for a week .
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 am

Mech 1 twa.......please do a pictorial when changing your water pump if you can. I gather it's quite an easy job but I would like to see it for myself. Check other water pump/gasket threads regarding refilling the coolant. I changed some hoses last summer and had a boil-over while standing in traffic in immense heat. No damage though, a small re-refill and on our way, I guess I was lucky.
Back to top Go down
SPCK111
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-09-30

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Bought a heated seat pad from EBay £7.50. Nice warm bottom on the way to work.
Back to top Go down
arcamedies
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arcamedies

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: drip drip not unusual   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Since I had a small leak on the right side of my engine (3 to 4 drops overnight) I used brake clean on the engine after removing the right passenger footrest (two hex head bolts) I found that the oil seepage seems to be coming from a square grommet where a wire goes into the engine case just forward of the dipstick. The cylinders were dry as a bone. If the seepage continues I'll re-clean than use a hi temp silicone around the base to reseal it.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Removed rear tire and had tire shop darkside. All was well until my trusty torque wrench failed me. I sheared off the top bolt of the swingarm. Ugghhhh. Borrowing some tools tomorrow to extract the broken bolt. Should be a good learning experience.

I was doing all this to the '13 swing (9k miles)... Decided to change my plans and dress the '12 swing instead (she only has 3300 miles). So tomorrow I plan swap the rear tires, move the Corbin seat, install the Givi top box and add the mirror extenders to the '12.

Replacement swingarm bolt ordered.. Hope to have in 3 weeks. Need to start shopping for a new 1/2" drive torque wrench. Original one has been used maybe 10 times in the past few years.. Lesson learned
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 am

Need to start shopping for a new 1/2" drive torque wrench. Original one has been used maybe 10 times in the past few years.. Lesson learned >><< HF has them, remember when you are finished with the job set the reading to ZERO before storage. I've always used the sneak up on it method when torquing bolts, 1/2 the 3/4 then full setting.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 8:07 pm

It's better to have two torque wrenches. One for lower settings 3/8 5-60lbs... 1/2 say 35-150lb.
More accurate for lower settings, more leverage for higher settings.

Always reset to lowest setting for storage.

Newer ones are digital and do a lot more. Many new auto engine bolts are torque and then turn 90 degree or more. Wrenches can measure this give an audible beep at set degree 90-120 etc. No need for this on a SW though.

Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Everything done to '12 as mentioned above sans rear tire exchange. Rode a tank of gas with the Givi top case and the soft saddlebags ( 5lbs weight added to each). No problems. Wish I had done it a few months ago...
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2018 11:04 am

I put mine to bed on Tuesday this week. Now, I have a few things to do to tuck it in: top up the gas tank with premium gas, add Stabil, throw some Irish Spring soap bars in various nooks and crannies ( I have it on good authority they repel critters ), pump the tires, remove the battery and jack up the front tire off the floor. I have some thick cardboard laid down on the concrete. I changed the oil and filter about 300 km ago, so no need for that.
When I wake it up in the Spring: new drive belt and DrPulley sliders all set to go.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Good advice, Jay. You have the cold weather experience for hibernating that bike.
Back to top Go down
motorhead30510
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
motorhead30510

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2018 11:09 pm

(Yesterday) I rode my new-to-me Silver Wing home from the previous owner.  

After browsing Craigslists and other classifieds for a couple of weeks, and being very close to pulling the trigger on a 2016 BMW C650GT located about 600 miles away, we had our choice narrowed down to one model of scooter -- the Silver Wing.  

Why?

It was a Goldilocks decision, made to favor my good-times gal Jackie (ride partner and dance partner), and it boiled down to how well her seat fit the bike's seat.  

She sat on the back half of a Burgman 650.

Nope.

The rider's seat was too wide, not allowing her to get her boots on the floorboards comfortably.

We tried a Burgman 400.  The seat worked pretty well, but she complained that the little thumper vibrated the mirrors and might not haul the bacon with the two of us aboard (we live in the north GA mountains)

Nope.

We tried a Silver Wing, after my warning her not to expect floor boards for herself.  She wiggled into position and gave me a huge thumbs up.  And a grin. The angled foot pegs fit her to a "T."

Bingo!

The next morning, yesterday, I chased down a Craigslisting for a 2012 SW with 3k miles only 30 miles from home.  It was in perfect shape, just filled with Amsoil and a new battery.  The seller (and first owner) was building a cabin and needed money to get it dried in and insulated before winter.  I helped him out in that category and rode the scoot home.  My only regret was that I didn't have to ride farther to get home.  Sweet.

Again, big smiles from the SO regarding the SW.

The first was too BIG; the second was too SMALL.  The third was JUST right. Who needs the Three Bears?

Since we plan to do some travel, like we have on previous motorcycles (just did the Gaspe' Peninsula this past June), I have a Givi top case rack and backrest on order.  While I'm waiting on that to come, I'll monkey around and add a charging station under the seat beside the battery for keeping the devices charged.  Wish it had the live wire inside the locking glove box, but maybe I'll add that down the way when I have the patience to strip the Tupperware.

Enjoying this forum.  Keep the keyboards glowing.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 am

Good to hear motorhead......I have a Silverwing for exactly the same reason, my better half loves the seat and footpegs on the SW. When I discussed getting another bike we test rode some from the dealer, (Hondas of course). Her main complaint was her involuntary headbutting me on the back of the head every time I changed gear. Also, finding a comfortable seat for her, without going down the Goldwing route.

I'm sticking with the Silverwing. We've had 3 years fun riding and I don't see that changing any time soon.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 8:02 pm

joebillybobinark wrote:
Removed rear tire and had tire shop darkside.  All was well until my trusty torque wrench failed me.  I sheared off the top bolt of the swingarm.  Ugghhhh.  Borrowing some tools tomorrow to extract the broken bolt.  Should be a good learning experience.

I was doing all this to the '13 swing (9k miles)... Decided to change my plans and dress the '12 swing instead (she only has 3300 miles).  So tomorrow I plan swap the rear tires, move the Corbin seat, install the Givi top box and add the mirror extenders to the '12.  

Replacement swingarm bolt ordered.. Hope to have in 3 weeks.   Need to start shopping for a new 1/2" drive torque wrench.  Original one has been used maybe 10 times in the past few years.. Lesson learned

Replacement bolt arrived. Bought a set of "left hand drill bits". Center punched the sheared off bolt and starting drilling. Took about 15 minutes (including going from cordless to electric drill) but the bits worked as advertised!

I greased the splines and reassembled everything. Did a short 15 miles ride to get a feel for darkside rear.

I was angry when the bolt sheared about a week ago. Now I've learned something new...
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Feeling guilty so gave her a rinse over and plugged into a trickle charger as since my new toy arrived the SW has become somewhat neglected.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Need to start shopping for a new 1/2" drive torque wrench. Original one has been used maybe 10 times in the past few years.. Lesson learned >><<           HF has them, remember when you are finished with the job set the reading to ZERO before storage. I've always used the sneak up on it method when torquing bolts, 1/2 the 3/4 then full setting.

Thanks for the tip OWG! I bought the new torquer, and did the half,3/4, then full settings on both the swing arm bolts AND the axle nut. Torquing the axle nut to 100ft/lbs after the swing arm fiasco gave me some anxious moments for sure!
Properly stored after job completed!
Back to top Go down
GeoffM
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2018-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 7:31 am

On Sunday I did the round trip to the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, for the UK Honda Owners Club AGM. A good 210 mile round trip, mostly dry, but cold with temps around 4 centigrade. Thought it was going to snow on the way home, but just a flurry thank goodness. All in all a good day out and the Swing performed perfectly, and returned 57 mpg (uk gallons). mostly riding at 50-70 mph all the way. Felt my age walking round the museum, as quite a few of the bikes on show I have owned at some point in my riding life.Smile
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Cleaned the wind screen and took her for a nice colorful 100 mile ride SmileSmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 pm

Went for a nice Halloween ride. 240 something miles mid 40's AM mid 60's PM Legs a little cold at start heated jacket liner to keep me warm. Just shy of 15K third season on SW is about end with colder weather. Way to much rain this year a common problem in US. this year.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Changed my stock screen that I use for summer back to my bigger Givi 214 screen. Stock gives me nice cooling effect for summer. Bigger screen soooo good for deeper winter riding. Not as big as pushing a 4x8 piece of plywood, but has a similar effect.

(I know I will be getting remonstrances for not purchasing the Givi adjustable, but too stubborn to admit and too cheap to buy.)
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 5:03 pm

bikehiker I was in your area on Wed. came down 222 to 30 north on 194-15 back to Harrisburg.
Was trying for Gettysburg but got a late start and took first road north to start back to Allentown.
Back to top Go down
shyted
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-07-03

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Shampooed the towbar and chromed the grease nipples
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2018 8:01 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
bikehiker I was in your area on Wed. came down 222 to 30 north on 194-15 back to Harrisburg.
Was trying for Gettysburg but got a late start and took first road north to start back to Allentown.

Hey, Mech, you had a beautiful fall day to ride, and your choice of roads probably made an enjoyable route. Too bad you had to turn back soon. If you chose Rt 81 and 78 back to Allentown, it's a good direct route, but that 81 corridor can be tense sometimes. Because of high traffic in the keystone part of the Keystone State, the speed limit is 55, but if you are not doing 75, you can get run over.

Happy trails!
Back to top Go down
gg194
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Did a group ride down to a Bike Fest in Arcadia Fl. Had a lot of bikes to be in the middle of nowhere, mostly Harleys. There were three Goldwing trikes, a Can Am Spyder, a couple of Harleys and my SW in our group. We're all old so it was an easy ride. Was cool for here but not bad.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Cleaned a few bugs and filled the tank. Might ride on Sunday 100 miles I have a nice loop that is fun.

bikehiker there is really no good way to get around Harrisburg other that 81. Needed gas and got off at Manda Hill then old 22 most of the way back. Yeah you need to go 70-75 for sure trucks will run you over. 81-83 intersect is never pleasant but its better now less road work.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Still  riding up to the archery club Tues. and Thurs., weather permitting (14 miles one way).  This morning 34 degrees F.  This afternoon, 36F.  But the blustery wind made it colder and sometimes a little "buffety."  The wind was blowing me in my layered nylon shell more than it was blowing the SWing, even with the big Givi windscreen.  I don't think my previous bikes would have been as stable in this wind.  Friends look at me and scratch their heads questioning my sanity.  I can't help myself.  The ride somehow makes me feel so much more alive, even though the irony is that riding is closer to not being alive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your SW today.
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next