Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What did you do to your SW today.

Go down 
+70
DavidinDunnellon
Salth2ofish
Weegie
cjkniss
Mike M
Erdoc48
SWingSteve
zrx212
genius149
1Wingman1
Dutch SilverWing
dovahkiin
BrianInVA
DickO
The Dude
David Willett
Taldaran
smellybeard
winged warrior
Mottza
GHM-PM
hondapete
Naples Vidiot
Delray
steve_h80
sidco10
KennyJoe
Drystal
Mike from NS
sc00ter
DLK
GoonerKev
MikeO
hondacurt
dragonknight76
arskal
cello33
gg194
shyted
GeoffM
motorhead30510
arcamedies
SPCK111
Loosemarbles
nooner
Scootypuff Snr
CathyN
Blzrmike
cotetoi
Max Q
The Bern
joebillybobinark
Cosmic_Jumper
Briorick
Sirkitrider
Easyrider
Mighty Mouse
Meldrew
cube
lcgraham
Dale N.
Chris Olson
janitorj1
bikehiker
Tn Traveler
Pastor Ron
oldwingguy
EvilTwin
Jim Caudill
Mech 1 twa
74 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2018 7:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

I went for a nice ride. 120 miles or so. Despite the weather forecast it was nice.

Try to keep this post active and it will be interesting for all.

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
David Willett
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-01-12

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 7:46 am

3 weeks ago. Hit by SUV. Broke 2 ribs, right leg. Walking on walker at home. On the mend, will continue to ride. 88 years old.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 8:27 am

Salute sir, BTDT RIDE ON.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 8:38 am

Keep on truckin'! Wink

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Installed some new front brake pads and flushed fluid front and rear. Pads were low at 30K 2MM thickness. Front tire soon just trying to wear it out already have a new one in stock old one might make the rest of season?
Back to top Go down
Mottza
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mottza

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2021-07-21

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 5:13 am

New front disc and pads installed along with a nice new front tyre.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2021 6:17 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Installed some new front brake pads and flushed fluid front and rear.  Pads were low at 30K 2MM thickness. Front tire soon just trying to wear it out already have a new one in stock old one might make the rest of season?  
Mottza wrote:
New front disc and pads installed along with a nice new front tyre.

They really do enjoy their front tires!
It's the only bike I've ever owned that's usually needs front and rear at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2021 3:35 pm

Well, this isn't so much about what I 'did' to my SW today, it's more about what I'm going to 'have to' do.

My rear tyre has gone already. I swear I changed it only last week!

I made a point of being very kind to it when it was new to try to extend its' life. I have a repaired spare in the garage which is much fresher so, I'm going put that on until I've saved up enough Green Shield Stamps to get a new one. Suspect
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-20

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2022 5:36 pm

Got my Dr. Pulley (28 gram) sliders installed. Right about 5500 at 65 Mph. I have a new belt coming, lots of residue was in the housing.

My leg is screwed, but hopefully get coolant changed, and LEDs sorted. Also have a K&N air filter to install.
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2022-04-19

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 7:11 pm

There was a very poor paint touch - up on the leading edge of the front fender when I bought my Swing a couple of months ago. I bought paint and clear from Scratches Happen. Sanded it smooth, paint and clear, compound, wax. Matches perfectly! Then I rode to Home Depot for a router bit I needed (35 mi one way). Good day
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2022 9:24 pm

Mounted and balanced a new front tire. Metzler Road Tec install soon.[url=https://servimg.com/view/20334583/59][img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f51/20/33/45 Not sure what happened to photos something change with hosting images?
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2022 9:33 pm

Take 2What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Pxl_2032What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Pxl_2034
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2022 9:50 pm

Well... not today but yesterday... went over to Wally World (about two blocks away) and bought a Battery Tender Junior (as recommended by many on this site, thank you) and installed it immediately... the battery had been pretty balky about starting after being stuck away for awhile... anyway, checked it today, started right up without any problems and all is right with the world again... Smile
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2022 11:14 pm

Patched a hole in the gas tank today. Then immediately found another. Ugh. Thats the danger of buying a 16 year old bike stored indoors but oceanside and unused the last five years.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2022 3:37 am

Finally went about fixing the spring latch of my Swing's left compartment. Took a bit of elbow grease to get it in place, and fingers hurt a little from prying the spring back into place, but all done now!

Also, bought a 12V charger for the power outlet. My Swing's getting a little more homelier now haha.
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 1:41 pm

What I've been doing to my loved SiWi? 😏
All preparations for my first ever big Holiday adventure from the Netherlands to Italy with my FJS 400 have been completed and she is now in top condition.😉

She got a new set of tires [Michelin City Grip 2] and the front fork has been upgraded with Hyperpros, this has been done by my dealer because I don't know how and I trust my dealer.
This past weekend I mounted Dr Pulley sliders [24 grams] and a new v-belt [Mitsuboshi].
Replace the oil and oil filter.
Changed the final drive oil, checked and cleaned clutch, checked coolant, cleaned air filter and immediately put in a few new spark plugs.
Now I'm going to take a look at my ride and see where I'm going 😉.
Then next week Friday I will experience something unique with my first trip.
I have to be with my daughter on June 6th, at Lake Garda in Italy, so 4 days and 1360 km ahead of me. 😏
I will stay there for a few days and then I will drive back to the Netherlands, no idea in how many days. 😏
I wish everyone a very happy but above all safe Holiday.
Greetings from the Netherlands.
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Inshot12
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Img_2030
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Img_2031
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 2:04 pm

Enjoy the trip mate.
With 24gm sliders don't be surprised if the V lights comes on, it's absolutely nothing to worry about, it's just the revs being higher than the ECU expects.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 3:06 pm

Today, I completely screwed up my head bearings geek
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 3:35 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
Today, I completely screwed up my head bearings geek

Was it them, or you? 

If it was you, what did you do wrong? Or what steps should someone else do to avoid a similar crisis?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 3:56 pm

"The voices in my head made me do it your Honour"!
As for advice; take some deep breaths, count to a hundred, consider your position in the universe and listen to Mr Honda catfight
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 5:07 pm

I did 70 miles today like i do most week days on my daily commute, I hate commuting but on the swing its actually good therapy for me !!!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 3:01 pm

😨How are you going to fit that couch on the scoot?😉
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2022 1:08 am

steve_h80 wrote:
Enjoy the trip mate.
With 24gm sliders don't be surprised if the V lights comes on, it's absolutely nothing to worry about,  it's just the revs being higher than the ECU expects.
Thnx 🙏🏻 for the tip about the V-light. The sliders are oké for now and I've been riding with the sliders for 1 week now without any problems. But thnx again for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2022 1:10 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
😨How are you going to fit that couch on the scoot?😉
😂😂😂😂😂
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2013-01-19

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2022 8:51 pm

I made two unauthorized modifications to increase my average fuel mileage from 45.5 to 51.6 mpg true. My engine rpm is now 5400 at 70 mph true using original rollers.

The bike is no longer a fireball................but neither am I. I ride mostly with groups in the flat lands of Florida and the bike is still plenty spunky for that. I will have to give up challenging Corvettes. Not much lost there since I could never beat one anyway.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2022 8:42 pm

Road it 280 miles had to scuff that new front tire. A good day no issues and it ran great rolled 31K and runs like new yet. Back roads mostly 9:30 Am till 4:15 with a stop for lunch. Weather was perfect low 60's in morning about 80's when I parked it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2022 11:07 am

1Wingman1 wrote:
I made two unauthorized modifications to increase my average fuel mileage from 45.5 to 51.6 mpg true.  My engine rpm is now 5400 at 70 mph true using original rollers.
Hello 1Wingman1, what was the modification you're telling about?
Back to top Go down
genius149
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-05-16

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 7:20 am

Dutch SilverWing wrote:
1Wingman1 wrote:
I made two unauthorized modifications to increase my average fuel mileage from 45.5 to 51.6 mpg true.  My engine rpm is now 5400 at 70 mph true using original rollers.
Hello 1Wingman1, what was the modification you're telling about?

+1 for this question as my Swing is less economical than my car at the moment Shocked

Yesterday I swung (pun intended) by my local second-hand bike parts store and managed to pick up a lovely condition Honda top box and mounting rack with frame for £80. The frame is off of a different Honda but I'm guessing I can unmount the back plate and bolt it directly through the tupperware (much like the pic of the Swing at the top of the screen as I type this). I'll then list the frame on ebay as "Unknown Honda top box frame" and maybe recoup some pennies.
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 10:48 pm

Sorry, I haven't signed in for a while. I didn't know how much effect each change had so I removed one and saw no reduction in fuel mileage. That change was the addition of a resistor in parallel with the IAT sensor. It must affect the fuel system only during warm-up.

The 2nd change involves a metal lathe and some experience with one. I removed 2.5 MM of metal from the stationary sheave of drive pulley where it contacts the spacer. That effectively increased the O.D. of the drive pulley and results in lower RPM per MPH. That does pull the drive belt out of alignment slightly and could cause increased belt wear so I would not recommend that anyone emulate my move until I have more experience with the results. I had an old sheave and an old belt on hand so it was no cost to me. Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 5:01 pm

1Wingman1 wrote:
(Snip)  I removed 2.5 MM of metal from the stationary sheave of drive pulley where it contacts the spacer.  That effectively increased the O.D. of the drive pulley and results in lower RPM per MPH.  That does pull the drive belt out of alignment slightly and could cause increased belt wear so I would not recommend that anyone emulate my move until I have more experience with the results.  I had an old sheave and an old belt on hand so it was no cost to me.  Time will tell.

If I understand correctly, you shaved down the “thick” portion of the fixed variator sheave —i.e. the flat face. That would allow the variator assembly to close tighter at higher RPMs. And, because the variator faces now sit further apart at initial start, that would also allow the belt to sit lower in the variator —i.e. start in a lower gear?

What caused you to decide on that 2.5mm? How do you feel about the performance? Did it rob any top speed?

The one caution I see in having the variator close tighter at high RPMs is, that with the belt then riding higher in the variator, it (the belt) would raise above the variator and overheat (because the variator faces weren’t there to act as a heat sink) and risk disintegration.
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 9:32 pm

Yes, I shaved the thick portion with flat face. It allows the sheaves to be closer together at all rpms. Since I was playing I just cut enough to make a difference and then I measured to see what I had. The belt still does not rise up out of the pulley but it rises flush with the O.D.. That might be because the driven pulley is maxxed. I didn't check that.

I looked at the belt today and it seems normal after about 2k miles.
Back to top Go down
1Wingman1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 10:00 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
1Wingman1 wrote:
(Snip)  I removed 2.5 MM of metal from the stationary sheave of drive pulley where it contacts the spacer.  That effectively increased the O.D. of the drive pulley and results in lower RPM per MPH.  That does pull the drive belt out of alignment slightly and could cause increased belt wear so I would not recommend that anyone emulate my move until I have more experience with the results.  I had an old sheave and an old belt on hand so it was no cost to me.  Time will tell.

If I understand correctly, you shaved down the “thick” portion of the fixed variator sheave —i.e. the flat face. That would allow the variator assembly to close tighter at higher RPMs. And, because the variator faces now sit further apart at initial start, that would also allow the belt to sit lower in the variator —i.e. start in a lower gear?

What caused you to decide on that 2.5mm? How do you feel about the performance? Did it rob any top speed?

The one caution I see in having the variator close tighter at high RPMs is, that with the belt then riding higher in the variator, it (the belt) would raise above the variator and overheat (because the variator faces weren’t there to act as a heat sink) and risk disintegration.

See previous post also:

I haven't run the bike over 80 mph. To do the trimming the sheave has to be mounted gently by 4 fan blades after filing small notches to provide flat spots. The number of blades is correct for a 4 jaw chuck. Alignment in the chuck is critical in only one direction to prevent wobbling of the sheave when installed.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 513
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 10:41 pm

" Yes, I shaved the thick portion with flat face. It allows the sheaves to be closer together at all rpms."

Great idea to save fuel nowdays, the SW has plenty of torque to handle the taller gearing, yes is slower accelerating, but clutch should engage at lower rpms also, helps drive at slow speeds. You can make shim or find a suitable washer, same thickness as cut from fixed sheave and install on crankshaft 1st, then mount variator, etc. Bring everything in alignment. BTW the sharpie line trick on pulley face, best way to determine belt travel.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 10:53 pm

Found a used Kappa K46 46 liter top case with universal mounting monolock plate on Facebook Marketplace for $30!

Brought it home today and got it mounted. I’m surprised and pleased with how solid and sturdy the universal mount turned out.
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 B1d81210
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 8fded710
Back to top Go down
SWingSteve
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2022-06-14

PostSubject: Belt Change @ 19k...Today Was The Day   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2022 8:26 pm

Hello All,

So thanks to a lot of info gleaned from this forum, especially JeffR's pictorial and my manual, I finally got the gumption to do the belt job today. That was despite the rain that started when I set to work, necessitating my rapid deployment of the family's canopy in the drive.

So, it seemed I was the first to look inside since 2011, but went pretty smoothly. I am just wondering what you guys/gals think, as in how bad was this...?

What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Img_2010

What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Img_2013
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Img_2014
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 6:59 am

Looks like you got to it in good time. It's not nice having all that gunk flying in around there although it's amazing how much punishment these belts can take before they fail.

You certainly shouldn't be able to squeeze the belt together like that when its all setup properly.
Back to top Go down
SWingSteve
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2022-06-14

PostSubject: RE: Belt Change @ 19k...Today Was The Day   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 9:45 am

Loosemarbles wrote:

Looks like you got to it in good time. It's not nice having all that gunk flying in around there although it's amazing how much punishment these belts can take before they fail.

You certainly shouldn't be able to squeeze the belt together like that when its all setup properly.

I agree! I was shocked to see that much play but it did have a vibration between 20-30mph that just didn't feel right and occasionally when accelerating I heard what sounded like slapping. The aluminum case was being polished by the belt in-between the pulleys!

I had to test drive it last night since I got called into work and it rode very smoothly and at 65mph was resting at 5000rpm. I did notice it wants to GO more at low speed, requiring more finesse than before, not sure if that is the new belt or the new 26g sliders.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 7:54 pm

I replaced my Forza belt a couple of weeks ago at 16K...it was supposed to be changed at 15K. It was extremely clean inside like yours, not much belt dust and no sign that belt had been slapping the aluminum. The belt did not look that bad either. Since the Forza had 14K on it when I purchased it, my question is did the PO change or have someone change the belt? Even the belt filter was not very dirty. Who knows but I am (like you) good for quite a while on it!!!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 9:18 pm

SWingSteve that belt was toast so much play and starting to chunk bits. You will like 26G sliders it will run great now. Some belt case rubbing is normal even with a newer belt but is has to much better now. That belt had to be slipping.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2022 8:02 pm

Didn’t do anything to the Swing today. Too damn hot.

Went for a two hour ride this afternoon instead. First 2/3 of the ride I was practicing my usual atgatt, with Dragging jeans, ballistic armored coat, modular helmet, leather gloves. I nearly passed out from dehydration and heat. I definitely wasn’t drinking enough.

The last third of the ride, all lazy back country roads, I took off my motorcycle jacket and left the modular helmet open. First time in my life I rode without a bike jacket or full face helmet (since I was a kid riding Honda trail bikes - all we had back then were open face helmets and mom wouldn’t let us ride without one). Oh well, at least I got home without heat stroke.

This was the maiden ride for our new “Catholic” biker gang, the “Sons of Orthodoxy.” (Tongue in cheek ;-) My friends are on a Kawasaki Vulcan 650 and an older Ninja 500.

(I’m first and foremost a member of one of the rival Catholic biker gangs, the Sons of Angioplasty.)What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 941cf110
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2022 8:50 pm

^^ Funny, you look like you have the full dresser of the bunch

For hot weather riding, I agree a jacket may be too hot- I use an armored shirt:

https://www.bohnarmor.com/product-category/armored-motorcycle-riding-shirts/
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2022 9:04 pm

Yes it's stinkin hot up here in PA. Mid 90's last three days too much for me. Can't even go up north in big woods still too hot. It's July normal weather around here.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2022 9:16 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
^^ Funny, you look like you have the full dresser of the bunch

For hot weather riding, I agree a jacket may be too hot- I use an armored shirt:

https://www.bohnarmor.com/product-category/armored-motorcycle-riding-shirts/
Thanks. I do have the link saved for these and hope to get one of them some day when money isn’t so tight.

In the meantime I found a Milwaukee Leather brand Armored Long Sleeve flannel shirt with Kevlar lined shoulders and elbows. I think it’s a little cooler than my yellow ballistic jacket but I just got it last week and haven’t had a chance to try it out in hot weather yet. I should have tried it today instead of the one I did. It was a “Retail Returned Item” so a vendor on eBay had them for half off.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2022 7:20 am

Spent a couple hours on Sunday to install a crossbar and new rear view mirrors for my Swing. Certainly not easy to remove seized up screws and ensuring the crossbar was installed straight, but darn satisfying to get it all up!

What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Sw_cro10

What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Sw_cro11
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2022 8:29 am

dovahkiin wrote:
Spent a couple hours on Sunday to install a crossbar and new rear view mirrors… (Snip)

Please tell us more about the crossbar. And there appears to be three switches mounted on the left master cylinder. One on the top and a pair on a mount plate below. What’s going on there?

What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Dd086c10

Oh yeah, and what about the handgrips too?
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 2:31 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
dovahkiin wrote:
Spent a couple hours on Sunday to install a crossbar and new rear view mirrors… (Snip)

Please tell us more about the crossbar. And there appears to be three switches mounted on the left master cylinder. One on the top and a pair on a mount plate below. What’s going on there?

What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 Dd086c10

Oh yeah, and what about the handgrips too?

Yeah so the reason for installing a crossbar was because I wanted more area for me to install things like a new phone mount or to just hang stuff. You can never have too much space on a Swing!

And yeah about the three switches: The one on the top is the T-Mode switch; I mentioned in a couple posts around the forum a while back. Gives the Swing more power, though I use it sparingly because it burns petrol so fast! Laughing

As for the other two red switches, it was actually a couple of rear fender lights that flashed red and blue. Kind of like how a traffic police motorcycle would.

Figured that it'd be illegal if I had that during my motorcycle inspection, so I had a mechanic remove the lights for me. Unfortunately, he didn't remove the switches so I'm stuck with that.

And finally, the handgrips. The previous rubber grips that came with the Swing were old, caked in dirt (probably from all the previous owners' perspiration) between its crevices and there were some compatibility issues with the bar-end balancers. Figured I'd replace it with these rubber/metal handgrips that I bought for cheap online.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 5:24 am

I've looked at similar crossbars on the Taiwan Big Scooter Shop website when I had a Silver Wing. At the time I was using a centrally mounted Dennis B sat nav mount for my Garmin set up.

I might have found a crossbar useful if I needed to fit more stuff, but apart from sat nav I don't like the distraction of mobile/cell phones, and on this side of the Atlantic cup/beverage holders belong in cars.

Nice set up though.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 2:19 am

Meldrew wrote:
I've looked at similar crossbars on the Taiwan Big Scooter Shop website when I had a Silver Wing. At the time I was using a centrally mounted Dennis B sat nav mount for my Garmin set up.

I might have found a crossbar useful if I needed to fit more stuff, but apart from sat nav I don't like the distraction of mobile/cell phones, and on this side of the Atlantic cup/beverage holders belong in cars.

Nice set up though.

Do have to agree with that the mobile phones are a little distracting. For me, it's useful because I use Google Maps A LOT. Especially since I am planning to do rides up north to Malaysia, Thailand etc from Singapore, having a crossbar would really help out a lot!

I have a question about your Garmin nav set-up though: How was it like mounting a GPS nav onto your Swing? I'd imagine that the nav screen would block the speedometer etc. Do you have any photos of that set-up that you don't mind sharing?
Back to top Go down
Mike M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2022-05-12

PostSubject: Proud SilverWing owner at last!!   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 1:29 pm

Hi all, thanks for great forum and helpful advice.
took plunge and now proud owner of 2010 SilverWing in black, 9k miles in immaculate condition.

Inspected the belt and noted a little belt slap on upper casing and a bit of rubber dust but nothing to concern over.

Took all your advices and ordered OEM belt yesterday and to my surprise it arrive today and following your instructions had it cleaned out and new belt fitted in an hour or so.

The old belt I could squeeze together a little, the new one definately not!

On a ride out it was silky smooth and quiet and I felt it seemed a little lower geared with 4k engine at just over 30mph, but then it crept up to around 45mph still at 4k so I think its just settling.

Ive had the bike long enough now to note it doesn't seem to like rounderbouts, you have to always brake before and drive around and not let it freewheel. Its a bit strange the drive disconnecting at below 15mph but you all report that so I'm not worried.

Overall, I love it and looking forward to having lots of time together on it. It was a bit disconcerting collecting it as I had not ridden a bike for 35 years and the first ride was 75miles after collecting it and coming home, but in no time I felt at home, like my old bike, a 1978 Honda Gl1000K2 Goldwing, but a lot lighter!! cheers thumbs up
Attachments
What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 AttachmentBeltSqueeze.jpg
Checking the squeeze, seems not bad..
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(55 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

Last edited by Mike M on Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 1:40 pm

Pleased you're pleased!
I guess every bike has individual characteristics - my Forza is subtly different from the Silverwing and I have taken a little while to get used to it.
I know when I went up from 250 X9 to 500 X9 I had to 'drive' it round bends rather than sit back as I did with the 250 which took itself round.
I'm sure you'll be fine in due course. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 am

dovahkiin wrote:
I have a question about your Garmin nav set-up though: How was it like mounting a GPS nav onto your Swing? I'd imagine that the nav screen would block the speedometer etc. Do you have any photos of that set-up that you don't mind sharing?

Hello mate, I'm sorry to say there's no photos on either my iPhone or iPad. I have a habit of periodically deleting photos on both devices. I'm almost certain I posted a couple of pics on here of my sat nav set up, but I can't find either my post or the topic it's part of.

The set up I used a Garmin Zūmo 550 LM in a locking Touratech sat nav holder, centrally mounted on a Dennis B sat nav mount with RAM ball.

The RAM ball allowed me to clamp  the Small 2 inch, Medium 4 inch, or Large 6 inch RAM arms and move the sat nav up and down so the instrument display wasn't blocked. I could also angle the sat nav screen up and down to cut down on reflected glare on the display.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What did you do to your SW today.   What did you do to your SW today. - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What did you do to your SW today.
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next