Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing

Go down 
+6
dspevack
Meldrew
Loosemarbles
MikeO
Dibber
PhoenixScooter
10 posters
AuthorMessage
PhoenixScooter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-03-02

I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  Empty
PostSubject: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 11:58 am

Any suggetions for an easy install? My wing already has a passenger backrest installed.
Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  20190210
Back to top Go down
Dibber
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dibber

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 2:23 pm

I have a Shad Box. It has served me well for many years and I like the fact that you can buy another mounting plate to put on another bike or scooter then just transfer the box from one to another. I had to remove the undercover of the luggage rack and there are 4 drill holes to drill through the top of the cover. Then bolt the mounting plate on the scooter. I think you may have to remove your back rest to open the box. Givi also makes great boxes too and have more dealers or vendor carrying them then the Shad Box. You can go into the search engine in this forum to read and show you how to remove the lower cover of the rack too. Good luck and enjoy your ride.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 2:45 pm

A Givi box on a Givi rack works in conjunction with the Givi backrest so that the box opens fully in spite of the backrest.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixScooter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 12:56 am

Ok Thx for the info. I'll look at both the Givi & Shad

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 12:22 pm

From what I've gathered from this forum, the pillion backrest could cause a slight problem. The box will probably have to sit further back on the mount.

I want to fit a larger box on my SW but I don't want too much overhang at the rear. My topbox already obscures the rear light and indicators from a high-seated vehicle, i.e. a van or lorry. I guess it will be a compromise of box size and overhang. Incidentally, I have my box mounted on rubber door stops, (the type you screw to the floor) with nuts and bolts holding it to the sissy bar mount. This way you can secure it without it being rigid, remember to use locking nuts.

Check out more of this forum to discover other possible obstacles and solutions.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
From what I've gathered from this forum, the pillion backrest could cause a slight problem. The box will probably have to sit further back on the mount.

I want to fit a larger box on my SW but I don't want too much overhang at the rear. My topbox already obscures the rear light and indicators from a high-seated vehicle, i.e. a van or lorry. I guess it will be a compromise of box size and overhang.

How do you come to that conclusion? Your box is what size, 45 or 47 litres, I used a Givi E52 for a couple of months when I bought my Silver Wing in late 2010, then I had the larger Givi E55 permanently on until I sold the scooter last October.

Neither top box obscured anything, and I used to ride over the pitch black A66 Pennines section at night on one of the most heavily used main trucking routes in the country.

That E55 top box is now on my Forza and the rear lights and indicators are now LED. In fact this is the first time I've read anything about top boxes obscuring rear lights and indicators from HGV's.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 pm

One of the key differences between the shad and the givi, is that https://admorelighting.com/ makes more lighting kits for the GIVI boxes.  It used to be that they only made retrofit kits for the larger boxes like the E52 which would wrap the lights around more, but of late they have upgraded to full dual color harnesses for bicolor leds (red and yellow). This gives you the opportunity to turn your givi top box lights into both a flashing brake, and a turn signal. Its not cheap, but it will give you much more visibility as it adds to, rather than obscures your bike's standard rear brake light/turn signals.  Some of the GIVI box designs such as the E52 lend themselves to more wrap-around lighting than others.  If you want to spend more then you can also add https://admorelighting.com/product/universal-top-case-cg/
to the sides of the case and wire them into the same harness.  I've put them on the sides of my new V56 box.  Now I have very clear turn signals and wrap around flashing brake lights.
1 note: the harnesses that include brake lights and turn signals do not send power thru the mount the way that the standard GIVI lighting system does.  Its a completely different thing you will have to unplug to remove the case from the bike, but its not hard. The reason is that the bi-color lighting system with turn signals requires more wires than the basic GIVI brake light. Also admore stated that the contacts on the standard GIVI setup did not last as long/were not as reliable. The admore system is a much more positive contact connection.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 5:30 am

Maybe I should elaborate. I noticed when standing close behind my SW that the rear light and indicators were obscured by the top box. If a large rig or lorry was driving close behind me, my rear light and indicators might be out of view, including the brake light. A small point I admit, but I would hate the excuse for a truck rear-ending me to be....oh, I didn't see your brake light !
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi "LB",
Just wanted to throw my two cents worth in... if you've not made any decisions yet... the box I've used over the last nine or ten years has been the "cheapie" Bestem 929.  Don't even remember the specs on actual size other than it's one of their larger models.  Not fancy (unlined) but was black to match my SWing, came with a proper (for the bike) mounting bracket, kept things dry and had a decent enough brake light in it (that should always be visible by trucks).  So, if you'd like, Google "Bestem" to see what they've got.  Good Luck.

Last edited by DickO on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To include brake light reference.)
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 7:51 pm

I used the Givi E26 Monolock which I picked up on ebay for $25 plus shipping. Same 2007 Silverwing just different paint.
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  Swing_18
I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  Swing_19
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 am

As recommended above---Givi rack/Givi back rest/Givi rack. My Givi E-46 model has just passed 600,000 miles, 1998 made. Givi stuff fits SilverWing well.

My E-46 box served well on 2 new SilverWings, modified with hole in top for dog's head. With SilverWing gone, solid (bolted) to rear wing of new Kymco Xtown 300i. This box been on other bikes/scooter, too=always worked.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 am

I'm surprised anyone asking about accessories for Silver Wings on forums, especially as it was sold virtually unchanged for 16 years and most of the stuff for it has been around for years too.  It's all out there on the Internet all you have to do is make the effort to Search.

Likewise the umpteen previous topics and posts about buying and fitting top cases that are already here on silverwing600, and have been for years.

In contrast my 2018 for 2019 Forza 300 has only been on sale for 6 months, and in that time accessories have had to go from design, development, and then to manufacture.

I got my Forza in October and using the resources at my fingertipswithin a month I'd bought the new Givi rear rack for it from Italy so I can use my E55 top box.

I bought plastic Puig hand guards for the Forza from France soon after that, and my new just on the market Givi D1166 ST higher screen was delivered yesterday from a UK seller.

Online I've found other screens available by Ermax, and Hero. I chose Givi simply because they're widely available and their website kept me up to date. Unlike Puig who also have a new Forza screen available but no photos of it on their website to compare with the others available.

I'm happy with the Givi it's a very nice looking screen, and when it's fitted the extra height and width will be very useful, especially as I can raise or lower the screen electrically.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 2:00 pm

I'm with you on that Meldrew,

I sometimes think about how easy stuff was in my earliy riding years when dealers and shops had all this stuff in stock for you to touch, smell, and measure it up on your bike which was parked outside.

However, the internet, and this forum, have mostly everything you need to get it right. It takes time and a bit of studying but that's the fun in making sure your SW works for you.

For me, the SW has so many facets for simple 'customization' but then I'm biased !
Back to top Go down
Grasshopper710
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2021-06-12

PostSubject: Just done today.    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 6:24 pm

I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  Img_2011
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing    I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm looking for a Top case for my 08 silverwing
Page 1 of 1