Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results

Go down 
+3
RarestRX
Ddietz12
Mech 1 twa
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2017-10-20

Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2018 5:07 pm

This thread will eventually contain all the info of the various stages I've gone through while 'tweaking' my Swing. I will edit this original post to keep all updated info in one place.

So far I have a dyno baseline for a stock 5,000 mile engine with 22gram Dr Pulleys.

I have since fitted:
Step 1) A Delkevic 320mm stainless exhaust. It is significantly light and narrower than the stock item. I also removed the snorkel from the airbox.
Step 2) Fitted a new sensor to replace the IAT probe to trick the engine in to thinking it was 20 degrees C colder than actual. This should richen things up during acceleration by around 6%.
Step 3) Replaced entire airbox with large (6" long, 3.5" dia) K&N pod filter mounted to the plenum chamber. Details to follow. Kept the -20deg C probe at this point.
Step 4) Fitted a -25C probe and removed the luggage/grab rail. That shaves off a fair few more pounds, and only take circa 60s to replace if I plan to take the wife out.

I did a set of acceleration tests at 'Step 3'. As before, two way averages were done on a relatively still day, with so-called 'drag' starts where I hold the revs just before clutch bite.

Test type:----- Stock 28g rollers: -------- 22g Dr Pulleys: -------- Step 3 tune:

40-80mph----------------8.60s--------------------8.77s ----------------7.24s

00-50mph----------------5.15s--------------------4.93s----------------4.15s
....-60mph--------------6.93s----------------------6.78s---------------5.62s
....-70mph--------------9.44s--------------------9.03s---------------- 7.79s
....-80mph--------------12.22s-------------------12.13s----------------10.10s
....-90mph--------------15.79s-------------------17.57s----------------14.09s

I will add dyno results once I've got them for each stage. I will also post all pictures & links of the various bits.

Suffice to say I'm please so far - sub 6s! chickendance

Crucially performance 2-up is now much better, although the wench still bugger up the handling!

Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results Delkev10
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Very nice. Huge improvement in acceleration times. 0-80 is most impressive over 2 seconds.

Looks like more fuel and better breathing from air box made huge difference. Does KN filter fit under side cover? The filter box is huge. KN makes many different filters lengths, sizes. Sounds like you are having fun testing and moding SW.

Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Yeah, it feels better, but even I was surprised how much faster it actually was. There's a big dip around 50mph when the Dr Pulleys transition from their acceleration profile to their cruising profile. This causes the revs to dip down below 5,000rpm. Peak power is probably north of 6,000 still on this motor - stock was 6,250rpm. Once the engine's finished I'll then sort the transmission to match. Will probably want a stiffer contra-spring to more the target rpm to just over 6,250rpm. The will hopefully shift that dip until after 60mph, i.e. after you've finished acceleration most of the way.

The K&N filter fits neatly under the cover, loads of free space. The problem is more one of getting the airbox off in the first place. Honda fitted the clamp with the screw head facing into the bike, so you have to remove the entire back of the bike to get to it (grab rails, both side panels, rear panels, battery & box, luggage compartment!). Once remove, just face the head outwards, and you can get to it by poking a screwdriver through the gap between the luggage compartment and the engine cover. Not the best decision by Honda me-thinks.

Filter is an RB-0720.
https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=RB-0720
Back to top Go down
Ddietz12
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ddietz12

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Good information. I really want to make mine accelerate quicker and this seems to be a good way to do that. Do you have any pictures to share?
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OOTWcreations?ref=hdr_shop_menu
RarestRX
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2018-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 pm

Do you have any pics of the pod filter mounted?

Did you lose the airbox entirely?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Sorry for the slow replies. Work blocked the forum, and then it went offline for a bit (cough), and then I kept forgetting to check when at home!

I don't have pictures handy, will try to get some at some point.

I lost the filter box entirely (the one behind the side panel), but kept the 'plenum chamber' (with the air temp sensor, the one under the seat in front of the luggage box. The pod filter mounts to the spigot on this latter box.
Back to top Go down
hein1ein
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2018 6:16 pm

I would like to put on a slip on to lose a few lbs. but I do not want to annoy anyone with an objectionably loud scooter. I've been looking at a few Delkevic models online. How would you rate the noise?
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2018 3:09 pm

I can only comment on the one I have (pictured), and it's not too obnoxious. No worse than a typical sports bike, and certainly not as bad as anything with a straight through pipe. Passed a road inspection (MOT) here no problems.

I mean, I don't worry about warming up the scooter on my driveway (a very closely packed housing area. Think 6m wide plots!) at 6am. I just have to do it on the drive. I tried doing it in the garage with the pipe pointing out the door, and the wife ran downstairs to tell me off because it was acting like a fog horn!
Back to top Go down
heinlein
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2018 1:18 pm

gavinfdavies wrote:
I can only comment on the one I have (pictured), and it's not too obnoxious. No worse than a typical sports bike, and certainly not as bad as anything with a straight through pipe. Passed a road inspection (MOT) here no problems.

I mean, I don't worry about warming up the scooter on my driveway (a very closely packed housing area. Think 6m wide plots!) at 6am. I just have to do it on the drive. I tried doing it in the garage with the pipe pointing out the door, and the wife ran downstairs to tell me off because it was acting like a fog horn!

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Japcati
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2021-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 9:12 am

Any updates on this?
Any pics of the airbox and filter mods?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down

Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results
Page 1 of 1