Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A stripped down SW for sprinting?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2017-10-20

A stripped down SW for sprinting? Empty
PostSubject: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Out of curiosity, does any one know if anyone has ever stripped down a Swing for sprinting? Or maybe put the motor & transmission in another frame for said purpose?

Given how fast a Swing is in its rather lardy standard form, I keep wondering what a stripped one would go like!

Until I've got rid of a couple of my other bikes, I won't be in a position to try it for myself on another Swing.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2018 3:44 pm

If you want to see what it would look like bud, see this thread ....

https://www.silverwing600.com/t5177-silver-wing-without-it-s-plastic-shell
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Cheers. I've just taken off most of the back end to access the intake air temp probe and to remove the air filter housing to get some measurements. there's a lot of plastic! That seat and the rear grab rails weight a ton! Despite removing a lot of weight, the bike still feels very top heavy, all up at the front.

Would love to have space for a second Swing and to be able to strip it right back for laughs. Imagine how fast it could lunge forward at say 150kg wet!

Any way, mines all going back together soon, once I've got my measurements and made it easier to swap the IAT sensor to modify the fuelling.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Sorry hear you went to the tedium of stripping the back end off the bike to get to that IAT sensor when all that was needed was a right angle Phillips head screwdriver.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 12:12 pm

It was worth it for a bit of an investigation. I've now got the measurements I need, plus I've put a little 'chocolate block' connect in line with the IAT sensor wire. So I can easily swap between sensors while testing. I've also got a pair of very large K&N pod filters on the way to attach onto the plenum chamber and replace the air filter box. I wasn't sure which would fit the best, but being they were about £35 each with post, I just got one of each Smile

The only problem was that I forgot to reconnect the rear light wiring loom, so when I went out I had to turn around and nip home to reconnect it!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 pm

[quote="gavinfdavies"] < SNIP > I've put a little 'chocolate block' connect in line with the IAT sensor wire. So I can easily swap between sensors while testing. < SNIP >[/ quote]

So then you could add a DPDT switch along with that chocolate block so that you could toggle between the two different IAT sensors.

IIRC there was a fellow on the ADVrider forum who extended one of those Epcos NTC probes so that it could be mounted up front for cooler air flow.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Yeah, if desired. Not sure on the benefit of being able to hot swap. And why bother moving the IAT (which might change the temp 2-3 degrees) when I can just fit a more appropriate one? Smile I've got 3 choices at present, with 20, 25, and 30 degree Celsius offsets to choose from. The plan is to get the new air filter fitted up, then get the bike back on the dyno and do some back-to-back runs with different IATs selected. Should only take a minute or so to swap the wires. Once I've got the power-curve and fuelling finalised, the last step is to tune the transmission to move the target revs into the middle of the power.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 1:47 pm

The baseline dyno run was completed last week. Stock engine, the only change being the 22 gram Dr Pulley sliders and sliding pieces. The engine mileage was 4,500 miles, and the fuel was 'normal' unleaded (95 RON, as opposed to premium 97/98/99 RON etc).

Fuelling is a tad rich at high rpm, which is good. The bump in power should be ignored, as that is a side effect of the transmission fully engaging and having a bit of a flywheel effect. The highlighted RPMs are where the transmission finished fully engaging, and then peak power.

A stripped down SW for sprinting? Dscf6210
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 7:41 pm

36 HP stock to rear wheel but its fun to ride. How much more HP do you think is possible from mods?
You are on the right track matching engine power to drive line for better acceleration. 0-75 MPH is where its at for this type of scooter.

Nice shock spacer from other thread. Keep posting. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A stripped down SW for sprinting?   A stripped down SW for sprinting? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 11:21 am

The exhaust alone without a new fuel map is supposed to give an extra 3hp, this seems right as various exhaust manufacturers claim this - I've even seen a few dyno graphs from them.

I'm hoping that with a new filter system and some fuelling mods to get maybe another 5-6rwhp. Maybe a little more if I got some header pipes modified to match the ports in the cylinder heads. But after that it gets more tricky, and we're looking at throttle bodies, cams, porting etc, so I'll stop there.

Maybe if I ever get a properly stripped bike just for sprinting I try some more extreme stuff. Something like a 36mm flat slide conversion and some hotter cams.

Basically, I think of this as a long-stroke 500cc twin, not a 600cc 'normal' motor. So 45rwhp seems about right, like a CB500, or Ninja 500 from the 1990s.
Back to top Go down

A stripped down SW for sprinting?
Page 1 of 1