Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil Leak at Oil Filter?

Go down 
+12
Easyrider
vmaximus
john grinsel
Mech 1 twa
cotetoi
GHM-PM
Meldrew
Old Limey
cliffyk
Cosmic_Jumper
oldwingguy
SteveSilverWing
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Oil Leak at Oil Filter?   Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi all Swing folks!

I'm experiencing yet another oil leak that has me confounded to say the least. I seem to be leaking oil from where the oil filter fits on. It is a minor oil leak. I am 150 miles past due for the usual oil change -- odometer is at 16,150. The oil and filter are on their way from Partzilla.com.

I check the oil at least once per month since I had an oil leak last year from a leaky stator cover silicon seal. I follow the maintenance schedule per the Honda Service Manual.

When I checked on the oil filter last week, I found that it was not tightly in place. I was able to tighten it a good ¾ turn or maybe a little more. In order to see things better, I took off the lower left side panel. The leak seems to be coming from where the oil filter seats, or perhaps the surface of the oil cooler. I used a flashlight and found no leak coming from above the oil filter area.

Have any of you had this type of oil leak issue caused by perhaps an older filter or perhaps the mounting surface it adheres to? The O-ring worn out? I’ll not be able to check until I receive the new oil and filter on Thursday.

As always, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Steve in Los Angeles, California
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak at Oil Filter?   Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 am

FWIW

I have been using a Fram filter # PH6607 for the yearly oil change.  I think the dealer filter was in the range of $17..... but can't recall for certain.  The Fram filter was $7.75 CND at Walmart this year.  Maybe $1 more at Canadian Tire.  It seems that this filter is the same one listed for the Honda Civic.

I have had no problems; and when checked for compatibility with the OEM filter for the Silverwing, I found this to be a perfect match.

Glad your oil change worked out Steve ... and you solved the leak issue.   Things like this adds to our confidence in working on the bike.  

Mike
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak at Oil Filter?   Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Steve,
When checking the oil level, DO NOT screw in the dip stick. Just let it sit on the top of the hole, then remove and read the level on the dip stick.

Hi Easyrider,
For all the mistakes I have made with my Swing, I was fortunate to have found that part in the Honda Service Manual that tells us NOT to screw in the dipstick when checking the oil -- just as you had advised. Nonetheless, I really appreciate your useful tip of the same.
Thanks mucho!
Steve
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak at Oil Filter?   Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 pm

One more minor tip, I found there wasn't enough of a difference in checking oil level on the centerstand or off, so when I check I just remove the dipstick, wipe it off drop it in the hole get on the scoot bring it back up to level left to right put it back on the side stand remove the dipstick and read the oil level.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Leak at Oil Filter?   Oil Leak at Oil Filter? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil Leak at Oil Filter?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2