Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Throttle Lock Suggestion

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
bikehiker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Throttle Lock Suggestion Empty
PostSubject: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm a newbie on this log because I'm only six days into my "new" 2012 Swing ABS bought with a few scratches and 600 miles. I traded from a 2009 BMW F800 ST that I loved, but was giving this old geezer leg cramps at long distances. Although throttle lock ideas are already posted in this forum with great suggestions, I am submitting an idea that I always wondered about, but just tried today on the "new" swing.

I have used a throttle lock for years, finding it helps a lot with limiting grip fatigue. My experiment today worked well for my personal riding mechanics. I welcome the forum administrator to delete this post if it will jeopardize riding safety--always my first priority.

Simply put, the idea is to lock the throttle in both the up-throttle position AND the down-throttle position. If you use a Go Cruise, like this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151901941376?chn=ps&dispItem=1) this can be done easily. I just placed a rubber band over the narrow end of the Go Cruise to lock in the end of the Go Cruise to the brake handle. It's easy to slip off the rubber band if you don't want to use the down-throttle lock.

"WOHA!" you say. "Stop right there! This is too dangerous!" Please ignore this idea if you are concerned, and I don't blame you for ignoring. I thought so, too, until I thought about how I personally control my throttle with such a tight grip (probably too often).

My personal grip on my throttle is too often a white knuckle style because I am anal about having complete control of my bike. And that's where my grip fatigue comes from. Since my grip is so often tight, even when slowing, or when it doesn't need to be, I don't let the throttle spring "engage" and snap shut, especially when slowing to a normal stop. Also, when I need to stop quickly, what do I do? Instead of letting the throttle snap shut, I grip it and turn it to make sure I am slowing the bike. It's my personal natural response. And that's where the "down-throttle lock" comes in.

To ensure better safety, I carefully adjusted the tightness of the throttle lock to be as loose as possible in both directions while the Go Cruise still maintained the selected throttle position.

After all these years, I finally got enough nerve to try this out, and after about 15 miles of combined city and country riding today, I was not motivated to pull over and rip off the down-lock position. My grip fatigue was lessened considerably.

This may not work for you, and 15 miles may not be enough proof of success, but this may prove to me to be a good option for long highway rides by not having to always lock in the up-throttle, because now the up-throttle position automatically locks in when you increase speed. You will not have to re-engage the up-throttle. If you live in a hilly state like me in PA, you might find this helpful.

If you are concerned about safety, please do not try this, and I apologize for introducing a potentially unsafe topic.

By the way, I used the Vista Cruise Universal "Cruise Control" in the past on my Kawasaki 900 Custom, and like me, owners seem to like that their Vista Cruise throttle lock can lock in both positions so they do not need to always re-engage the up-throttle.

I welcome any response for or against. Thanks for reading. (If you don't hear from me again, be aware that this idea was too unsafe, and this foolish poster perished as a martyr to save his fellow members.)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 4:42 pm

throttle stops---I used Go Cruise with my TU 250, but favorite is NEP---seems to last long time, cheap, can be adjusted so easy to turn off.  With SilverWing I use nylon tie to stabilize it.

Death grip---try controlling bike with feet and legs....I know, no tank to grip or pegs to stand on with SilverWing....but foot pressure  helps control
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 4:45 pm

So you use the rubberband to "attach" the narrow end of the Go Cruise to the brake handle and then the Go Cruise is always resting on the brake handle? If that's the case it sounds dangerous to me.

Think about it: what would happen if you inadventantly left the Go Cruise/throttle off of the idle position and you later started the scoot; certainly the clutch would immediately engage, you'd be launched forward, and there would be "weeping and the gnashing of teeth".

Why not use a Wrist Rest type device (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Cruise-Control-Throttle-Assist-Grip-Wrist-Cramp-Rest-/282529380657?hash=item41c8103931:g:adEAAOSwhQhYxWsB&vxp=mtr) to reduce your tension on the throttle when you ride. Or why not adjust (or remove) the butt rest so that your riding position ergonomics is more relaxed. If you are stiff-arming (holding on for dear life) when you ride that will certainly increase your fatigue.

We certainly don't condone unsafe riding practices.

Tim

Mr Grinsel is right. "Feet forward, enjoy the ride". Use your feet and legs to control the ride.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
So you use the rubberband to "attach" the narrow end of the Go Cruise to the brake handle and then the Go Cruise is always resting on the brake handle? If that's the case it sounds dangerous to me.

Think about it: what would happen if you inadventantly left the Go Cruise/throttle off of the idle position and you later started the scoot; certainly the clutch would immediately engage, you'd be launched forward, and there would be "weeping and the gnashing of teeth".

Why not use a Wrist Rest to reduce your tension on the throttle when you ride. Or why not adjust (or remove) the butt rest so that your riding position ergonomics is more relaxed. If you are stiff-arming (holding on for dear life) when you ride that will certainly increase your fatigue.

We certainly don't condone unsafe riding practices.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I do also use a wrist rest, which helps for the first 25 miles.

However, you do make an excellent thought-out point that I hope everyone reads about this "experiment." Locking the throttle into high speed position, or even inadvertently locking it in high speed while shut down can possibly cause great harm when started up again. You wouldn't get this on a shift bike, but on a CVT scooter or bike, it can happen.

As indicated in my initial post about this, owners of "Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control" (even though it isn't a real cruise control) use the same up-down locking system without my addition to the simpler Go Cruise. I hope they can be aware of your point.
Thank you for thinking this out.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi bikehiker. This is the one I've been using for years on my various cycles. I have one now on my SWing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vista-Cruise-Motorcycle-Cruise-Control-Throttle-Lock-for-Honda-Kawasaki-MCVICO-/292248937501?epid=896044201&hash=item440b64e41d:g:aFQAAOSwFdJZteuj&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 12:06 am

As with ALL throttle locks, always check to see that it is in the unlock position before starting your bike. Someone may have locked it in the full throttle position as a bad prank.

Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 4:30 am

Dale N. wrote:
Hi bikehiker. This is the one I've been using for years on my various cycles. I have one now on my SWing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vista-Cruise-Motorcycle-Cruise-Control-Throttle-Lock-for-Honda-Kawasaki-MCVICO-/292248937501?epid=896044201&hash=item440b64e41d:g:aFQAAOSwFdJZteuj&vxp=mtr

Dale, do you have a pic of that on your Swing? I use something similar but different and cannot visualise how yours would work?
MM
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 5:47 am

Here Ya Go Mighty Mouse.

Throttle Lock Suggestion Thrott12

Throttle Lock Suggestion Thrott13
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 pm

I have had the Vista Cruise on a few bikes and really liked it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 8:44 am

Dale N. wrote:
Here Ya Go Mighty Mouse.

Throttle Lock Suggestion Thrott12

Throttle Lock Suggestion Thrott13

Thanks Dale - so it clamps down on the handle when engaged? Think I prefer mine which is just friction based.

Throttle Lock Suggestion E2234311
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 9:35 am

These are sort of friction based also but it depends on how tight you set it. The way I have mine set I can turn the grip up or down with a little effort. I suppose the tension could be set to totally lock it in when set but I've never set mine that tight. The release lever is right above my thumb which I can just flick up to release it all the way.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 9:44 am

MM, Like the Go Cruise, both the Vista Cruise and the NEP are also friction type throttle locks. It's only that the Vista Cruise and NEP appear less cumbersome. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference and comfort.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
MM, Like the Go Cruise, both the Vista Cruise and the NEP are also friction type throttle locks. It's only that the Vista Cruise and NEP appear less cumbersome. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference and comfort.

Tim

Yes, I've had both. Go Cruise is cheaper, takes seconds to install, and I haven't yet seen a bike that it won't fit on, but it's not quite as adjustable in both directions as Vista products.

Yup, personal preference, and maybe in my case, I'm too lazy and cheap to install Vista.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle Lock Suggestion   Throttle Lock Suggestion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle Lock Suggestion
Page 1 of 1