Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Two up riding I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Two up riding

Go down 
+7
DarthJ
hardee41
tinman
model28a
JeffR_
WingMan02
BillScooterDude
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Hello Fellow Silver Wingers,

It's been a while since I posted a topic on the forum but the time has come for me to reach out to the more experienced riders on this topic.

My wife has a hard time getting on behind me because of how high the back seat is on the Wing. She is 5'6" and has bad knees which makes it even more default for her.

She really likes riding, does any body have any suggestions on how to help her get on and off of the Wing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bill
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 6:23 pm

My wife had that problem when she rode with me. I use to use the raised curbs for her to get on. Always park where she can take advantage of the curb height. I did need to scoot forward to allow her more room to swing her leg up over the seat. She stopped riding with me because the foot pegs were too high for her when seated, and this put pressure on her knees.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 6:38 pm

You might try putting your bike up on the center stand and stand at the side of the bike and hold the handlebar and the grab rail, and then just let her climb up like she is going to drive the bike. She may be able to just use the floorboards to help her climb up. Then you just sit on your bike like normal and rock it off the center stand.

If you are strong enough to rock it forward you should be ok. Other than that I would use the curb method suggested above.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Don't you have a Hoyer lift ? I have one in my garage that I used to pull the engine out of my Model T when I restored it.  Razz 
Two up riding Hoyer_lifts_for_sale_life_resource_medical_supply
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 6:25 am

This spring I installed a set of HD mini passenger floor boards and It made a big improvement in the comfort zone and she has been riding with me more often doing 3 to 400 kl a day rides with ease.Getting on the swing with my Trigg trike allows her to get on much better.I will try to post some pics later . The floor boards came from JP Cycle # 5500090 .
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I don't know if the lift would look very good behind Swing on the freeway bounce 
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: 2 up travel   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 1:27 pm

I've been riding with my wife on the back of motor cycles for 40 yrs. on long trips & vacations. Never once laid us down until I got the s-wing last year. I put my foot down at a sandy stop sign and over we went. Love the S-wing, but not my favorite for double riding; top heavy. harley
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 3:05 pm

I try to let my riding partner use curbs when I can. She's 5' flat, and her legs are short, getting on a Shadow is a trick for her.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 am

My Swing has a topbox, and this makes it very difficult for my wife to raise her leg high enough to clear it and sit on the rear seat. We use JeffR's center stand down method when leaving home base and sometimes at places on the road.
I also can stand holding the brakes and handle bars with the sidestand down and she and sit on the bike and manuever back to her seat and then I sit down and raise the side stand. This works well on fairly level areas as well. billc.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 pm

OK it sounds like the using the curb and center stand is the way to go. I'll also try billc second method.

Thanks again,

Bill G
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 am

Before I converted my back rest to flip forward, I removed the screws that held it it place. Without the screws, it slides out, and made it easier for my wife to get on. I already had the backrest at the rearmost position, so it worked for me too.
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-07-11

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 pm

9erfan, when my wife rode two up she did this, now all my pass are told to mount this way. she will use you to steady so you need to be rock solid on the bike and holding the bike steady. she mount from whatever is her strong side. from the left side, she would place her left hand on your shoulder, left foot firmly on the left foot peg (right hand on the top box if you have one) then right hand ready to also use you shoulders to steady herself as she stands up on the left foot peg. her right leg then "steps" over the seat finding the right peg. So as this point she is standing on both pegs with hands on your shoulders for support ( most times you need to lean forward a bit). she then can sit down onto the pinnon position.

dismounting works the same in reverse, you steady the bike and lean forward a bit, you must be ready, and then give the "command" ready, she then stands up with both feet on the begs, steading herself with your shoulders, steps back over the seat and to the ground. there is alot of movement so it takes some practice not only for her movements but for you to steady the bike allowing her to feel comfortable while mounting

Hope this might work for you
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 1:22 pm

ebear, thanks I had thought of this method but didn't know if the foot pegs could hold a 130 lb person, can they? Also do you leave the side stand down just in case if she is mounting from the left side?
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 4:02 pm

A very easy way for a passenger to dismount is the one my wife uses.
I stop the Swing, put the side stand down while I am seated on the bike. Then I stand up straddling the bike with both hands on the brakes and handlebars. This gives ample room for my wife to swing to her left and gently slide off the seat. Then I dismount the bike and lean it on the side stand. billc.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 pm

The Corbin seat has a place for a driver's backrest.
In addition to being a corbin seat, and having a driver's backrest,
which folds forward for letting the passenger on,
Its a great place to hold on to when maneuvering on and off the bike.

But you have to buy a corbin seat with a backrest to use that...

Dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Two up riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two up riding   Two up riding I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two up riding
Page 1 of 1