Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:39 am

» Drive belt prices
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Who all is riding now

Go down 
+8
ronjr009
Black Sapper
Bernardo
honda_silver
matthew
DickO
DenGraham
JeffR
12 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Who all is riding now Empty
PostSubject: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering who is able to ride this time of year? I'm out here in the S.F. Bay area and am able to ride year around mostly. Today I rode about 60-70 miles to work, and also to ride around a little, to test out my new Givi windshield. If is kind of cold out here now for us. Lately it has been in the high 40's or low 50's but with rain.

I ride about 23 miles each way to work and it was a nice ride, although a bit chilly in the morning, but it is much better than when I rode in the winter when I lived in Illinois. I will write a review of the differences between the new Givi windshield and the XL Clearview tomorrow but so far I really like it. Although, as it was pointed out to me by Honda-Silver, that maybe I got a windshield from Clearview that might be from a bad lot. It really flexes a lot when going fast. But I will put that in my review later.

So, who is able to ride now and what do you need to wear when you do ride? I usually just wear jeans and a warm sweater under my insulated riding jacket. I also don't have heated grips or electric gear other than my battery powered vest, which I will put in the Safety section later. If you are riding to work still how many miles do you ride round trip?
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 12:10 am

You wouldn't believe it Jeff, but it hit 77 or something today and it is supposed to be 79 tomorrow, 80 right next door in Baton Rouge!!! I did some of my Christmas shopping on my scooter in shorts.....go figure. Only in south Louisiana.
Back to top Go down
DenGraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DenGraham

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 12:46 am

Yes, high 60's here in Tennessee. Warmer then when I lived in Chico CA last year; too funny. I road the SW home from the storage today. I know the temperature will drop but I now have a garage that I can "attach various parts" to my Swing. The rain will prevent most of the riding in January but February should be good. Safe travels.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:25 am

Hi All,
Took my bike out today just for battery charging purposes. Spent about 20 minutes up and down the local back highways. Had to take advantage of this sudden warm spurt we're having here in Kansas. Up to a record 67 degrees today. Used my usual Xel armored jacket and pants with the rain and quilted inserts under the jacket just in case (plus the obligatory FF helmet and boots). With all the other cold weather we've had, have only been riding occasionally just to keep the battery up. Haven't broken down yet and bought the 'tender' I really need.

Just for anyone's information, when I was fiddlin' 'round with my battery, I found that just having it on the center stand and throttling up to about 35 mph for about a minute and a half, resulted in the raising the battery charge up a few tenths of a volt. Haven't taken it to extreme, but it's my guess that the battery could be taken to full charge that way if necessary,,... but it's more fun to ride it if possible.

'Nuff for now.

DickO
2005 Black ABS Stock Harveyville, Kansas[flash][/flash]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 2:34 am

It could also be taken to a full charge by attaching it to a wonderful little device known as a battery charger! LOL :D
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:28 am

Part of my dilemma is that I live a mile and a half down a pretty rough dirt road, so even after a snow, when the highway is finally clear, ice and snow - or mud when it melts - can last weeks longer on the dirt. I actually bought some good ramps so I could, if I had to, get the swing up into my pickup and haul it out to the pavement, but I tell you, I tried it once just to test it out, and the whole operation is a lot of work. I really don't see myself doing it. I'll probably sell the ramps.

Other than that - which is the situation right now - I'll ride all year long if the roads are clear. I've been exploring the issue of riding in the cold, and have developed a "dress code", so to speak, that seems to work pretty well even down into the twenties. If I wanted to ride into the teens I think I'd buy that battery powered vest that JeffR mentioned. For now my wardrobe consists of:

thermal pants and shirt, jeans, either my mesh riding pants with a thermal liner under them, or a heavier pair of winter riding pants with liner, boots of course, nice warm knee length socks, then several layers of shirts - t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, turtle neck, top shirt; then a warm vest, down or other, all under my Joe Rocket Ballistic lined winter jacket; a thin balaclava under the ff helmet which keeps both the neck and head warm, and in reserve, a neck gaitor, but I haven't used it yet; then thin knit gloves (cost about a buck) used as liners under a pair of
Tour Master cold-tex gloves. These are ok, but I've recently added a set of Ducks Unlimited hand warmers to the handlebars, cause my hands are the weakest link in the chain of warmth. Since I'm snowed in though, I haven't been able to try them out yet.

My ride into town, for work or other, is 30 miles each way, so whenever I get on the swing it's at least a sixty mile day. Ride safe and stay warm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Here in Oklahoma   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:11 pm

We recently had a day that was up to 70 degrees. I rode my 03 Swing to do some errands. Wind was gusting to 35mph. I will probably ride tomorrow for a bit.

For serious winter riding, I have under armor cold gear tops and bottoms, Coleman hiking boots, and Herter's Blaze orange 0 degree coveralls with hood and Artic Shield waterproof insulated gloves. In October, left Spicer, MN at 37 degrees and I was comfortable in this getup. Rode with that gear all day long until Shenandoah, Iowa where we stopped for the evening. Used it the next day till noon at Topeka, Ks.

You can ride in very cold weather if you want to.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:49 pm

JeffR wrote:
I was just wondering who is able to ride this time of year?

I ride everyday except in ice, snow or very dense fog.

JeffR wrote:
I'm out here in the S.F. Bay area and am able to ride year around mostly. Today I rode about 60-70 miles to work, and also to ride around a little, to test out my new Givi windshield. If is kind of cold out here now for us. Lately it has been in the high 40's or low 50's but with rain.

I cannot imagine what it would be like commuting in a major city.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 1:12 am

honda-silver,

It isn't too bad commuting here with a bike since we can filter through the traffic. I live in a city of about 250,000 but all of the cities here butt up against each other so it is really like I huge city out here. I'm from a smaller town in Illinois so it is different here. I think to be able to handle it well in places like this is to be a somewhat aggressive rider/driver. If you are too nice it would take you longer to get where you want to go.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 9:10 am

honda_silver wrote:
JeffR wrote:
I was just wondering who is able to ride this time of year?

I ride everyday except in ice, snow or very dense fog.

JeffR wrote:
I'm out here in the S.F. Bay area and am able to ride year around mostly. Today I rode about 60-70 miles to work, and also to ride around a little, to test out my new Givi windshield. If is kind of cold out here now for us. Lately it has been in the high 40's or low 50's but with rain.

I cannot imagine what it would be like commuting in a major city.

Actually, one of the reasons I got myself a scoot was for commuting, specifically in cities..... I sometimes commute in busy areas and to and from work and must overtake a good fifty plus stationary cars queuing at the lights. It's really bad at rush hour times. Compared to a car I can cut my hour plus journey time by about a half, and it is also so much easier to park.... Alas one problem I still found initially on the scoot was that after filtering and stopping at the lights, sometimes it was a bit dodgy accelerating away from the lights especially if the car next to you was sporty with an angry driver determined to beat up on the scooter that had just filtered up next to him...... Thus although perhaps this is perhaps a little lame as an excuse for spending loads of money to improve performance on my S'wing, but by having a better 0-60 time, (just under 6 seconds) I feel a bit safer in the knowledge that my scoot can now out accelerate most cars. :D (from between zero up to about 70-80mph). So now for work, although I have a very commutable bike, the scoot is definitely my first choice... Especially in the cold weather, where the scoot is much more comfortable, and warmer. Also on the scoot commuting is well fun, and not a chore... So I get to and from work in a great mood and feeling really refreshed and happy. bounce

However, in poor weather and greasy slippy roads, you do lose some of that advantage..... On slippy roads especially roundabouts etc, I slow right down, but I've found that the scoot still has a tendency for the back wheel to step out more often than the bike as you accelerate away. I assume this is due to the small wheels and high torque. OK it is easy to fix, and control, just roll of the throttle and countersteer a bit... But it can still leave you with that pounding heart, "oh my god" feeling. That got me thinking about the MP3 and it's extra stability with having 3 wheels... I figure it doesn't matter as much then if the back steps out a bit.... Smile

Anyway, please check out the other post on the super economical MP3 I've made hear in the "for all scoots" section... :D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 8:06 am

We did have a freak warm day once last week and I was able to get out for a ride. The last poster was talking about the bigger wheels. I'm looking forward to the bigger wheels on the Silverwing compared to the Helix. About 40 degrees is my limit. I think about those heated jackets and grips...sounds like Heaven.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 11:02 am

driftwoodpoint wrote:
About 40 degrees is my limit. I think about those heated jackets and grips...sounds like Heaven.

Then I was given half of Heaven for Christmas Cool.

I received a Powerlet heated liner ( http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/mens-proform-heated-jacket-liners/85 ).
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 11:48 am

Bill,

I hope you don't mind but I made your cut and paste of the link into a link. This way we can just click on it. I just put a space between the parthensis and the link. How do you like it or have you had a chance to use it yet? Maybe you can write a short review after you have used it. I have a vest but was wondering if the arms are heated or just the chest area?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Rain or Shine I ride Mine   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Temps in the high 30's today, but with heated clothing don't feel it. The only time you won't find me riding is ice or snow (although did try that once, won't again). In Seattle the saying goes "If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride. Any my scooter is my main transportation and the last two weeks of snow and ice have made it impossible to get out. Today however, I need to ride for awhile just loosen everything up and get the juices flowing.

Bob K
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Who all is riding and how far do you have to go to start your ride?   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Jeff asked, " If you are riding to work still how many miles do you ride round trip? "
My round trip commute is 21 miles w/no freeways involved Smile
it sounds like Bernardo's move to scoot for commuting is, well also therapeutic
" Also on the scoot commuting is well fun, and not a chore... So I get to and from work in a great mood and feeling really refreshed and happy. " This would be a nice line for a scooter commercial, especially when everyone is stressed b4 going to work and going home stressed after work. Idea
As far as cold riding gear a pair of heated gloves will be just fine for me, bcuz no matter how warm I can get while riding my hands and fingers is still left out in the cold. I do hands and feet exercise while riding to keep the circulation going but when your ride destination is 130 miles oneway, like my recent ride to Carmel Valley, it can wear you out. When I filled up @ Chevron in Salinas, I put my hands around the coffee pot inside the Mini mart just to thaw them out.
Here is question for everyone, what is the your longest ride b4 you start your real ride? Mine is 243 miles. From Vallejo to Cholame in Hwy 41 just a few miles from the James Dean Memorial ( http://www.jamesdeanmemorialjunction.com/photos.html ) Go to the Site slide show. My real ride for that day started @ Bitterwater rd.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Riding in The Winter   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 8:02 pm

Hey Jeff,

My ride is 30 miles round trip and I can either go back roads or freeway. Most of the time just pop in the car pool lane and just putt a long. You are right when you say I get to work relaxed and most times back home relaxed. My gloves cost $156.00 from gerbings. They have a life time warranty and they have repaired them once and replaced them once. They are very good about taking care of you.

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/gloves.html
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 4:47 am

just4cruzn wrote:
Jeff asked, " If you are riding to work still how many miles do you ride round trip? "
My round trip commute is 21 miles w/no freeways involved Smile
it sounds like Bernardo's move to scoot for commuting is, well also therapeutic
" Also on the scoot commuting is well fun, and not a chore... So I get to and from work in a great mood and feeling really refreshed and happy. " This would be a nice line for a scooter commercial, especially when everyone is stressed b4 going to work and going home stressed after work. Idea

Yes definitely therapuetic..... ! bounce A great sense of freedom from riding in the wind so's to speak, and the ability to overtake quickly and safely, also filter past all the cars in slow moving traffic and or traffic jams.. The S'wing also has ample room for a visit to the supermarket for groceries...... :D

I don't always commute on the scoot, but I try to use it as much as possible. I use my car if I am giving someone a lift to or from work, (one of the girls prefers the scoot!) or if I am taking the kids to and from school on the way to/from work. If the roads are icy, I also use the car.

I forgot to say how far I travel.... well most days not very far only a few miles to the other side of town, just a five minute ride really. Though if I have had a tough day, (I work in a psychiatric hospital, and things can get a bit fraught at times) sometimes I'll ride for a good 20 miles before I get home. This always chills me out, even better than a beer....

However usually at least once a week I have to commute for the day to Luton, (18 miles) and sometimes Oxford (20 miles). On these occasions I always use the scoot even in bad weather as it takes half the time than if I had gone in the car, plus there is a large amount of filtering past long lines of stationary cars at traffic lights, and this always makes me feel very good... :D

Every now and then I go out for long rides to visit someone, or to get something, or just for the sheer pleasure of the ride, and simply knowing that I can..... (However this can take some planning as I have young kids and a wife to placate) I tend to always have a camera with me, and if I'm not in a hurry will be looking out for good photo opportunities..

Longest distance in a day so far, about 300ish miles. But I intend to better this in 2009, and do some more touring....

I've recently joined the IAM, Institue of Advanced Motorcyclists to improve my riding technique, and a tendency to sometimes go a little too fast.... Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: commuting in Chicago!!   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 11:52 am

It certainly is a challenge,alot of crazy drivers!!!!!!!I drive with my thumb on the horn button and somewhat defensively.When at a cross street if a car is at the corner ready to pull out, I slow down and prepare to maneuver , anticipating them to pull out and take me out.It has saved me a bunch of times.People on cell phones are the worst.They will pull out or cut you off and then raise their "social finger"in tribute to you.I always look out for #1 but they re-inforce the thought in my mind that I truly am #1 in their minds too...We have tons of illegals and un-insured and un-licensed "friends"from around the world that are ready and WILLING to put you in the hospital or the grave,here.The judges here will happily let them off and after court ,get into their cars and drive away.2 of my friends were killed in a head on while bike riding by a drunk "illegal",and he ran from the scene with no insurance or license and the sentence handed down was 3 1/2 years.He must have been the judges landscaper!?!?!OUR "hard working honest friends"duanne.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Well, I didn't ride to work today. I went out and it looked like rain clouds so I drove. It later cleared up a bit but didn't want to risk the rain. Sometimes the people out here just don't drive well in the rain. The weather is so nice out here that people forget what it is like to drive in bad conditions. They would die in the midwest. Laughing

It was supposed to be sunny and about 54 degrees but it wasn't like that until probably 3pm. I do miss riding to work though but do consider myself lucky to be out here.
Back to top Go down
Black Sapper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:31 pm

I have a fifty mile round trip for my commute, which is twice a week as I am part time. The journey involves town, fast single carriageway country roads, Dual carriageway and "city" roads. In the evening, some of it is on unlit dual carriageway, but I have no problem with the Swing's standard lighting. I usually wear a Wiese jacket over my uniform fleece and Buffalo armoured textile padded over trousers. I do not have heated clothing. I have been commuting in temperatures down to 0 deg and my kit has kept me warm. The main problem is the amouint of filfth on the road, the bike is turning a dirty grey! C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Wow Bill that heated jacket really looks great!!! On a cold day that would be wonderful. Might be worth it to extend the riding season, especailly in the fall.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 1:40 pm

Here in the mountains of Northeast, TN, it has been cold on most days. Riding has been substantially limited. I do try to get the Helix out at least every couple of weeks to keep the battery juiced up. For New Year's, we surprised my mother in law and rode from Greeneville, TN over to Rutherfordton, N.C. With double weight thermals and plenty of layers it was relatively warm with only tips of fingers and toes getting a bit cool. We had to delay our return trip by about 12 hours due to freezing rain and snow in the Mountains. Once it warmed up just enough, we made the return trip and all went well. The ride through Asheville and Lake Lure is absolutely beautiful if you ever get the chance.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 pm

Took my Wing out today around noon for a little 30 mile jaunt just to keep things loosened up. Every couple of weeks we get a warm day to allow for that. Weather cooperated by warming up to around 47 degrees but was pretty blustery out of the north. Wind picked up and temp dropped to about 28 degrees about 30 minutes after I got home.

Anyway, was a nice ride other than my hands got a little cool. Need to get a pair of them fancy "Arctic" gloves that everyone's talking about. Soon as I get some fancy "money" I'll do that. Was lucky enough to have decent weather a couple days ago and got both my car and the Wing washed and finally got around to jury rigging a couple of bed sheets to make a cover that will help keep all the cat paw tracks off of the bike seat.

While I was washing the bike out in the bright sunlight, I was pleasantly surprised to notice that what I thought was just a black paint finish, was also imbedded with some small red metalflake that I hadn't noticed before. There's no special paint code that I found or any other references in the paperwork but it's nice just the same.

If I can get those new gloves and a new Givi/Clearview windshield (or Laminar Lip) I'll be more prone to riding a lot more. The noise and buffeting are too limiting to think about anything long distance. Was contemplating joining the PGR but want that wind problem handled first.

Well... 'Nuff for Now,
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 5:52 pm

I know I'm not going to get any sympathy but here it goes. I haven't rode my SWing for 3 days now. We have had great weather, even by the bay area standards, but the last few days it has been rainy and people out here don't drive so good in the rain. It is supposed to be this way for a few more days and maybe clear up sometime early next week. They say if we don't get a couple of inches by the end of the month it will be the driest January on record, so we do need it bad.

I have 19,800 miles on my bike, that I bought in March of '07, and I was kind of wanting to go over 20,000 this month. Why I don't know but I just do. But I think I should be able to do this next week. Again, I'm sure that all of you aren't in the process of getting your violins out for me Crying or Very sad , but since I've been out here in Calif I have just grown used to riding all the time.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: still ridin'   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:32 pm

My commute is just over 23 miles each way and my "other car" is a ford Expedition, so I try to ride the bike as much as possible to save on gas and keep miles off the Ford. It started to get pretty cold in December (one night it got down to -19F), but for the ten days leading up to today the daytime high reached the upper 60 to low 70's, so I was able to ride to work seven days in a row. Even with the warm daytime highs the mornings still tend to be a bit brisk (usually low 20's), but as long as there is no ice on the road I figure I can just put on more clothes. I did invest in a full face helmet and some decent thinsulate-lined gloves and so far that seems to work pretty well. Overall, I would say that we have had a fairly mild winter thus far here in Colorado, but as I look out the window, I see the snow is dumping with vigor, so I will have to park the bike for a few days.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:43 pm

JeffR wrote:
I know I'm not going to get any sympathy but here it goes. I haven't rode my SWing for 3 days now.

It sounds like an addiction Razz ... SWing'oholic.

JeffR wrote:
We have had great weather, even by the bay area standards, but the last few days it has been rainy and people out here don't drive so good in the rain.

Even rode my motorcycle in the rain
And you told me not to drive
But I made it home alive
So you said that only proves that I'm insane

I can understand why riding in the rain in your area would be bad affraid.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 8:59 pm

We've been having a warm spell here in northern NM for the past few days, with highs in the fifties where I am. They're saying we're 10-15 degrees warmer than usual for this time of year, and it certainly feels that way. So, I've been able to ride 4 or 5 days in the last week or so, since my dirt road is pretty dry now too, and I can get out to the pavement pretty easily.

I bought a pair of Ducks Unlimited hand warmers, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Haven't needed them. And whatever damage I may have done with my mud episode a couple of weeks ago seems to be minimal. The transmission is performing just fine, and the bike is riding fine, so I imagine it's not injured. The drive belt is clearly slapping a bit though at start up, at least until the bike is well warmed up, so I expect it has been damaged some. I won't know for sure until I decide to get in there and have a look, at which time, whenever that might be, I'll change the belt and the pins. For now, I'm following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" formula, and leaving things alone, enjoying the ride.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 8:36 am

Yeah I know what you mean...
last week in Perth it hit 43C ( 100+F) A couple of times. Just too hot with all the gear.
Winter's good tho usually around 18-20C
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 1:04 pm

I rode to work yesterday. The temp when I left was 19, but on my lunch break the temp was 52 and sunny, so I spent that time scoot'n instead of eat'n. Was a cold ride home in the dark, but I still took the long way home.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Still Riding   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:06 pm

Here in Central AR the weather has been great. Morning is cool (for us) mid 30sF warming up to mid 60s. Sun is out now, partly cloudy. A friend and I just made a trip of over 1300 miles round trip to Rockport,TX. I rode to North Little Rock, AR yesterday about 160 miles round trip. The riding outfit I have is rated to -40 F. It doesn't get that cold here very often. When it does, I plan to not ride that day. I enjoy reading this and the other Silverwing.org forum. This will be my first post here. Take care my friends.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Half of you are spoiled rotten !! Razz

I had to put my Silverwing away a couple of months ago. And now the snowblower is next to the garage door. Crying or Very sad Of course, I live in St. John's, NL, Canada so that explains that!

Its been a bit mild though switching from -20C windchill to 5 C above within a couple of days. Gettin' antsy though - might order up a J. Costa to play with over the long nights. Anyone know of a ski track conversion? Question Yes getting desperate! bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: A warm place   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Captain, you live in a beautiful place that we love to visit. We always remind ourselves there is a reason the trees are so green. Unfortunately our northern Nevada desert is also too cold in the winter to ride much.

I spent 2 months in south Texas with my inlaws. Temperatures range from 70s to 90s in the winter; I didn't like the windy days or the humidity, but the temperatures and riding were wonderful. I saw many motorcyclists down there, all happy. If some of your neighbors seem to have shoveled out and disappeared with their RVs and scooters, you might find them in south Texas at one of the Canadian RV Parks (Victoria Palms is one). Some of those Canadians and many of the midwestern retirees become permanent residents of Texas.

I am currently in California near Santa Rosa right now waiting for a new grandbaby. Temperatures range from 60s to 70s on warm days; rainy days range from 40s to 50s. Not many nights freeze, there is no snow on the ground, and the hills and vineyards are green. I haven't seen a snowblower, but a Silverwing passed me on the 101 today (I was in my car--50 and cloudy is too cold for me). Anyway, here there is hope for riding.

Go south, Captain.

Diane
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Still riding   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 am

Well today is February 4th and including today I have been able to ride my scoot to work 12 days so far in 2009. Now that may not seem like such a big deal to those of you living in the south or other warmer areas, but it is remarkable to me since I live in Colorado.

In many of the past 20 winters, January and February have been pretty cold and snowy. Last year we had so much snow in December, the ground was snow covered until about March. But this year, while you poor guys in the north and east are getting pounded with snow and ice, for the past month or so our weather has been dominated by a stable high pressure system that is providing us with clear blue skies and mild temperatures with highs in the 60's and lows in the high 20's. The morning ride in is a bit cool, but the evening ride home has been very mild. I could really get used to this, but if it keeps up much longer I am going to need to water my trees and grass so they don't dry out too bad.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 7:40 pm

We've been having some pretty beautiful weather for winter, here in northern NM, lots of sunny days lately, with temps in the 50's. Yesterday and today I rode some distances, about 170 miles yesterday, with a stop at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs - mmm mmm good; and today, just for the heck of it, over 200 miles through some other parts of NM. We're in for some more normal wintry weather here pretty soon, so my riding might be limited again.

I just discovered that I've inadvertently had my tires over inflated (about 40 in the rear, about 36 in the front), which probably accounted for the rough feeling ride today, and probably/maybe/I hope also accounts for the unusual front tire wearing I've been noticing. I tend to check my tires in the early morning when it's still quite cold, so when I fill them to what they're supposed to be (or just a bit over, I admit, like 35 rear and 30 front), they're actually gonna be way over during the more "normal" day time temps of later in the day.

I just checked them, after waiting a good two-two and a half hours after my ride, and that's when I found them really high. Live and learn.

Oh Jeff, I did order that battery powered heated vest, and it should be delivered in about a week. I'm eager to try it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 10:09 am

I've ridden in temps as low as 15*, so long as the roads are dry. But today & tomorrow is going to be in the 60's so I will be out on the bike. In fact I need to get going now. See Ya!! cheers
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 10:25 am

Debbie,

If you do ride why don't you take and post a few nice pics of your area. I'm sure we would all like to see some. Have fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Here ya go JeffR. These were taken last weekend. These are of the Pisgah Covered Bridge. A year or so ago there was some heavy rains that just about washed it out. But some people got together & raise the funds to save it. Actually, this was the first time I had ever been to it. I'll have to remember to take my camera with me more often.

Who all is riding now 100_1414

Who all is riding now 100_1415
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 12:20 am

Debbie,

Thanks for the pics and hope you had a good time. I remember when I lived in Illinois going to many of the old "covered bridges" in Illinois and Indiana. I think they are really cool that some states make sure they stay in good shape. Indiana even has a "Covered Bridge Festival" every year. It's good you can still ride too most of the year. I feel sorry for those who aren't able too. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 8:33 am

I've been to the Indiana Covered Bridge Festival and it is wonderful. That's one of my favorite things to do is to go and find bridges. We only have a few left in our area. I try to remember my camera also and am so mad when I see something great and I forgot it.
I'm still counting down the days until spring... sunny
Wonderful pictures.... :D
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 11:01 am

Debbie:
Those photos are great. Where in NC are you? It looks like a great area to ride. Someone mentioned the Indiana Covered Bridge festival. My mom lives in Bloomington, IN and a couple years ago we had a family reunion at Brown County State Park. What a nice area! I think it would be fun to ride around there too. So many rides - so little time... This work stuff sure gets in the way of my riding...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:26 pm

The Scootist,

I live in Asheboro, NC. We do have some great roads around here. I just have to
get out more & discover some more of them. We're about in the middle of the state,
so the Mountains and/or the beach are just a few hours away. There are some great roads
in Virginia also that I tend to hit every now & then. A few uears back we went to Marlington, Va
to a Road Kill Festival that was interesting & on the way we sought out the Humpback Bridge in
Covington, Va. this was a nice spot to take a break from riding & snap a few photos of the Bridge. Enjoy!
Who all is riding now Bridge10

Who all is riding now Bridge11

Who all is riding now Bridge12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: lovely weather here in london uk   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:16 am

well its - 4 wet snow ice and yes i did ride to work but last week it was like the end of the world affraid sunny affraid sunny like that all week soooooo fed up new bike only 200 miles i do that in a day sometimes so upset oh anyone know wher to get better mirrors or risers oh if i send money can a nice person from the u s a send some to us poor people here in london uk blessing to all ad
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:08 am

Hi Adam,
I installed a set of these on my scooter and they work great. Here is the Ebay sellers thread:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10mm-Motorcycle-Mirror-Riser-Extender-Adapter-honda_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270340311583QQitemZ270340311583QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They do ship to the U.K. cheers

Rde safe....DennisB :D
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: mirror extenders   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:43 am

Dennis:
Thanks for the information. Those look like just what I need to spread my mirrors a bit. And the price is right too. The website indicates that they are 60 mm wide (just over 2 inches)
That seems about right - does that seem to put your mirrors where they need to be to see around your shoulders?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who all is riding now   Who all is riding now I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who all is riding now
Page 1 of 1