Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding 2-up

Go down 
+5
dspevack
bigbird
wis-rider
Meldrew
bigd
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bigd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi
I am new to this forum.I don't currently own a Silverwing but I am in the process of trying to narrow it down between a Silverwing and a 650 Burgman. What I am after is a bike ( and in my mind these are both bikes)that would be the most suitable for me. I want a machine that can take my wife and I for day trips and possibly a weekend tour.So I guess what I am wondering is how the Silverwing handles 2 people.We would weigh together about 300 pounds.Would it have enough power?
Does riding 2 up dramatically affect the gas mileage? I currently ride a 650 v-strom and it's a great bike but it's high and top heavy with a passenger so at times it's a handful in some situations for me(it doesn't help being short on one end) I apoligize if there is a thread that discusses this(I can't find it) so any advice or help would be welcome.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi,

If you don't own either a Silver Wing or a 650 Burgman, I suggest you try to ride a dealers demonstrator, or at least go with your wife and sit on them in a showroom. The Burgman is a lot bulkier and heavier than the Silver Wing, and the passenger seat is longer and wider, passengers place their feet on foot boards, unlike the Silver Wing which has folding foot rests. So let your wife climb on and off the rear seat to see which seat and riding position suits her best.

As for suitability Mrs M and myself have done two week Euro tours on both the Burgman and the Silver Wing and they are both equally suitable for fast autobahns, or winding country roads. The heavier Burgman is harder to hustle along two up on back roads but that's to be expected as it's a bit of a lardass.

Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 8:41 pm

I haven't had my wife on my Silverwing yet but I did have my brother climb on back just to see what it was like. He is over 200 and I could hardly tell he was back there. I was pleasently surprised. It took off just like it does with just me on. These bikes are really great. Like Meldrew said, go to a dealer or someone you know that has one and try it out. I think you will be surprised.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:07 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 11:36 am

bigbird wrote:
The Swing makes a very competent 2up tourer.

Yes it does, we have our clothes for two weeks in 2 x 15 litre packs that go under the seat along with a first aid kit, a few spares, and PacSafe net and Ortlieb bag. Overnight kit for the ferry is in a small rucksack in the top case. A tunnel bag has spare footwear, security chain, and other sundry items, the left lockable glovebox pocket stores the sat nav, and tie-down straps are in the right. Our rain gear goes into the saddlebags so we can get at them when needed.

On the ferry, overnight kit is removed from the top case and in go our helmets and gloves. When visiting places on hot days, we store the majority of our riding kit like jackets and back protectors under the seat, and helmets and gloves in the top case. Mrs M usually likes to wander about in shorts and sandals, so any surplus kit like boots and trousers that we can't store goes into the Ortlieb bag, then into a Pacsafe net which is then secured by padlocks to the passenger seat.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 1:18 pm

I can't endorse this, as it is over honda recommendations,
but...
There were 3 couples on the Silverwing yahoo group a few years ago
that said they toured two up with gear, and they were heavy couples.
Each couple claimed to weigh in @ around 450-500lbs with gear.

So I don't think you will have a problem at your combined weight+gear.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:09 pm

It seems as if this would not be a problem; however, I would recommend that you 'try it out' before buying a bike. Hopefully you can find a buddy to loan you his SWing for a day so that you can check out the ride/comfort. No sense spending a lot of money - unless you are really sure that it meets your comfort/performance needs. Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Meldrew - Thanks for the packing/travelling tips - great information!
Back to top Go down
bigd
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Hey Thanks everyone for the input. First hand experiences are always the best.I was originally leaning towards a 650 Burgman (and I still will go have a look at one) but with what I've learned from various sources a Silverwing should be seriously considered as an equally good choice. I'm not a big guy and the Honda may be a better fit.Good advice Meldrew about my wife and I going to see what works for us.There is one of each (Suzuki and Honda) within a hours drive so we'll have to have a look.Any advice or tips are welcome
Cheers
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you get.Which ever one you get will be what is right for you. There will be no critisim.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:11 am

A professional motor-cycle tour leader used a Silverwing to lead a group through the Alps, after having injured his leg and being unable to manage his big BMW.
He was sceptical at first but was suitably impressed (including being able to keep up with the crotch-rockets) and his wife, who travelled with him on the pillion seat, preferred it to the BW for comfort and view (higher seat).
He wrote an article about it in one of the magazines a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 9:51 am

bigd wrote:
I want a machine that can take my wife and I for day trips and possibly a weekend tour.

I have taken my wife for day trips and weekend tours with no problem.

I added the Clearview XL not just for my comfort but my wife's comfort. My wife is 5'4", the Clearview XL directs a small amount of wind to the top of her head.

I added a Givi TB-19 for her ... she can lean against with pillow to reduce vibration.

I have an Alaskan Sheepskin and for her riding comfort.

I purchased a larger sized Air Hawk, so now I have an Air Hawk for her comfort on longer rides.

The key is to make her as comfortable as you are

bigd wrote:
So I guess what I am wondering is how the Silverwing handles 2 people.

Two people (regardless of weight) and gear

bigd wrote:
Does riding 2 up dramatically affect the gas mileage?

Very little if any. The answer may be different in extreme stop-and-go city traffic
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:39 am

When I bought my Swing, my wife was very skeptical about riding with me, so I made armrests, added a back rest, a drink holder, and attached a leather "stuff" holder pouch to the hand rail. I do not notice her added weight except at very slow speeds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Riding 2-up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding 2-up   Riding 2-up I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding 2-up
Page 1 of 1