Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

how to start a 03 swing

Go down 
+11
pjas1969
Waspie
tarmacburner2
Colin B
hotwings
jmaslak
exavid
Meldrew
JeffR_
wis-rider
djslammer
15 posters
AuthorMessage
djslammer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-03-24

how to start a 03 swing Empty
PostSubject: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 6:55 pm

is there a secret to starting this scooter besides turning the key on, putting the red sw on and pushing the sw with the lighting bolt down?
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Be sure to squeeze the brake handle tightly and side kick-up stand needs to be up.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 pm

And put the side stand in the up position too.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Now how do you know that guy is genuine or not asking a question like that? But sure enough someone comes along and gives him the info.

Back to top Go down
djslammer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:02 pm

well MELD"R"EW it was just dropped off at my house without the inst book and in my excitement to try and start it I found it quite diff. than my Suzuki 1400. so thanks to Wis-rider, jeffR and the rest of youall.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:09 pm

What difference would it make if someone wasn't "genuine"? It costs nothing to post a response. I believe in giving folks the benefit of the doubt.
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 9:24 pm

You are welcome.https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Did you get it going?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:33 am

djslammer wrote:
well MELD"R"EW it was just dropped off at my house without the inst book and in my excitement to try and start it

Well mate, you could easily have curbed your excitement and Googled 'silver wing riders manual', silver wing owners manual' instead of 'silver wing forum' and got the full "instruction book" to look at, print off,etc. It would have taken far less time than joining this forum, making your first post a plea for help instead of an Introduction, and then waiting for replies.

As for this MELD”R"EW quip, is that a Roasting? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 am

I remember riding my swing home from where i bought it, about a 35 min. ride. Smiling from ear to ear put the swing in the garage and just stared at it for a bit. After a while i went to restart it but it was a no go. Couldnt figure out the problem. I Called the guy i got it from and he was baffled as well. He said to bring it back and he will take care of the problem whatever it was. I then went online and discovered the problem (on this site). The left brake lever has got to be pulled hard. Listen carefully and you will hear 2 clicks. My swing then started right up and i was smiling again. This site is for helping others, not complaining about others (i assume).
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 am

I thought this site was for a forum for Silver Wing enthusiasts, that's why I joined. Go through the Membership and you'll find hundreds of 'enthusiasts' with only 2 or 3 posts who've only came here to pick the collective brain for help.

It seems to me you've got to be a bit clueless to buy any maxi scooter and not know how to start or restart it. My first maxi scooter was a Honda CN250 Helix I bought in York, the city where I live now. I had a 150 mile ride back to my old home over some pretty wild and windy roads. I remember stopping to put on rain gear in a bleak lay-by on top of the Pennines at least 80 miles from home. There were no cell/mobile phones back then, and I'd have been right in the **** up there or any other place I'd stopped if I hadn't known how to restart the Helix, and that would have been my fault wouldn't it. Neutral

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 7:56 am

You are a miserable sod Meldrew...... I like you. Smile

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 8:52 am

Meldrew is so miserable even Mrs. Meldrew is beginning to have doubts about him! Exclamation Laughing

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 9:08 am

Colin B wrote:
You are a miserable sod Meldrew...... I like you. Smile

I was never cut out for the Burgman grin. Sad
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Meldrew is so miserable even Mrs. Meldrew is beginning to have doubts about him! Exclamation :lol

I don't blame her, Mrs M often calls me a grumpy old man. In spite of my faults, I'm very lucky to have someone like her and we're getting married in a couple of months.

Then she can say "My husband's a Silver Wing Guru". Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 am

Meldrew wrote:
I thought this site was for a forum for Silver Wing enthusiasts, that's why I joined. Go through the Membership and you'll find hundreds of 'enthusiasts' with only 2 or 3 posts who've only came here to pick the collective brain for help. |

Methinks most, (not all), of us Brits are less tolerant to 1/2 post wonders.

My views are well documented on here regards the not introducing ones self prior to requesting info from forum members.

I simply apply the rule of no intro - no response.

One posters are fortunate we have a wide membership that are more tolerant and are willing to assist anyone.

Sorry but it's simply not in my genes. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:00 pm

djslammer,

We are all glad you were able to find the problem. I know that I went into a store a couple of years ago, then came out and tried to start my SWing, and it wouldn't start. I thought I checked everything...kickstand, pulling in the brake, I looked at the on/off switch and just knew it was good.

But it was the on/off switch that was turned off. So doen't feel bad and please keep asking questions when you have them and also chime in with an answer if others ask questions.

I say we have a competition this year on who can ask the most basic questions to see who gets mad first....Doug (Waspie) or Meldrew !!! Just kidding guys. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Jeff, I take my hat off to you and your countrymen and women's patience, I really do. :not worthy:

For a nation of such polite people, the 'have a nice day' mentality simply doesn't have the same response to us, well - me!!! Over here on this side of the pond.

Every time I am greeted with the phrase, mostly in our supermarkets I really want to shout, 'what is so ******ing nice about today'.

Like I say - it's simply not in my genes.

(I'm really a nice bloke - honest). You just have to accept me for what I am. I respond in kind normally. If your polite with me I will respond accordingly - be rude, (read no introduction), I will simply ignore you - it's that simple.

PS

I am smiling as I type this !!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
pjas1969
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 pm

I can perhaps see both perspectives; by being a newbie on here, but an administrator on a car forum.

We experience the same problem and it's very tempting to say "search", but as the saying goes - you only get one opportunity to create a first impression. And by and large, we would normally want to appear friendly and knowledgeable rather than the opposite.

Our site also has international reach, so we also have the same issue of different cultures/language/semantics becoming an important consideration.

Just my POV.

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.carwizard.ltd.uk
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Meldrew wrote:
tarmacburner2 wrote:
Meldrew is so miserable even Mrs. Meldrew is beginning to have doubts about him! Exclamation :lol

I don't blame her, Mrs M often calls me a grumpy old man. In spite of my faults, I'm very lucky to have someone like her and we're getting married in a couple of months.

Then she can say "My husband's a Silver Wing Guru". Smile
Silver wing guru?? Out of your 1001 posts, 950 are not silver wing related!!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Oh Doug,

I know you are a really nice guy !!! I just wanted to start some trouble today. And if you were in the car with me as I am driving ...you would not think I'm a nice guy. I have no patience for bad or slow drivers. Laughing My wife hates driving with me.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:00 pm

I take it easy on folks who don't know too much about a given subject because I'm a bit thick myself. (see, I learned a UK term) Just the other night I was leaving my gun club after a shoot and couldn't get the Burgman to crank. I checked the kick stand, squeezed the brake, etc and it still wouldn't crank. I flicked the kill switch on and off and still no luck. After retrieving a flash light (torch) from the trunk (boot) I could see that I wasn't quite pushing the kill switch on all the way. It felt like it with my lined gloves but it wasn't switching on. Now I have a score of about five different bikes I've done that trick on over the years. You'd think I'd learn. Considering that I've rebuilt several bikes from the frame up I ought to know something simple like that. We all have our failings. I have more than my share.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:00 pm

hotwings wrote:

Silver wing guru?? Out of your 1001 posts, 950 are not silver wing related!!

Nice of you to check that for me mate, but you really should get out more, but it's still winter in Canada isn't it. Since you've made the effort to check through my previous posts just to tell me that 950 of them aren't Silver Wing related. Can you tell me in how many of the remaining 50 posts I'm asking for help, or starting another thread on topics covered many times before that I could easily have Searched for ? Wink
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Is the answer 51?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 3:50 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Oh Doug,

I know you are a really nice guy !!! I just wanted to start some trouble today. And if you were in the car with me as I am driving ...you would not think I'm a nice guy. I have no patience for bad or slow drivers. Laughing My wife hates driving with me.

Laughing Laughing

Mischievous Mode 'On' huh? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Sounds exactly like me and mine!
43 years down the line and she still calls me a grumpy old man at times, but we're still together.
(Well, I need someone to ride pillion - keeps the back wheel down!! Smile )

Graham
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm

The problem is the manual doesn't specifically say "There are FOUR goddamn things to check, the key, the switch, the left brake and the kickstand."

You need someone who rides the thing to say "Yeah, it's happened to me too, I didn't pull the brake handle hard enough" or "I always leave the switch on and just turn it off with the key, and someone turned the switch off on me."

Both of these things have happened to me, and I'll happily relate that info to the next guy so maybe he doesn't get as frustrated as me when he misses one of the four gotchas.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Well at least there's no clutch and neutral interlock switch.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
The problem is the manual doesn't specifically say "There are FOUR goddamn things to check, the key, the switch, the left brake and the kickstand."
On page 29 of the owners manual that comes with the scooter it lists all four things.

Starting Procedure,
When the start button is pushed, the starter
motor will crank the engine; the headlight
will automatically go out, but the taillight
will stay on.
The starter motor will not operate if the
engine stop switch is in the OFF position
when the start button is pushed.
The start button is used for starting the
engine. Pushing the button in starts the
engine.
The engine stop switch is used to stop
the engine in an emergency. To operate,
push the switch to the OFF position. The
switch must be in the RUN position to
start the engine, and it should normally
remain in the RUN position even when the
engine is OFF.
The electric starter will only work when
the rear brake lever is pulled in and the
side stand is up.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 6:29 am

Pulling the left brake lever in still doesnt mean the bike will start! There are 2 switches in the brake lever. Pulling "normally" as you would to brake while riding will not activate the second switch which is required for starting. The lever has to be pulled HARD to activate the second switch! At least on my bike. As in my post above i was pulling the brake lever while trying to start but aparently not hard enough!!!
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 9:32 am

hotwings wrote:
Pulling the left brake lever in still doesnt mean the bike will start! The lever has to be pulled HARD to activate the second switch!

Embarassed I've just fallen foul of that myself.

I collected my shiny new Swing. Having completed all the formalities, shaken hands, swapped keys etc, I climbed aboard and promptly failed to start it.

"Dignity at all times", I said to myself and tried again... Dead!

Rather sheepishly, I went back into the showroom to ask for help.

Razz
Back to top Go down
pjas1969
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

model28a wrote:

On page 29 of the owners manual that comes with the scooter it lists all four things.

Starting Procedure,

It's maybe me, but I'd expect that type of info to be within the first few pages.

Unless they spent the first 28 pages congratulating you on your choice of steed and what preliminary checks are needed before you even sit on it...

Paul
Back to top Go down
http://www.carwizard.ltd.uk
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:46 am

I went back into the showroom to ask for help.

I had to do that last time I hired a van; it was one of those new-fangled things that cuts out when you stop.
I didn't know that depressing the clutch started it automatically. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 am

Is it nice, though?
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Early days Mike (under 20 miles so far). As requested, I'll write a comparison after a few more miles (if it ever warms up).
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 3:30 pm

It should warm up in 20 miles, take it back, and get the white swan before they sell it on. Idea
BTW, welcome.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm

nighthawk250 wrote:
It should warm up in 20 miles, take it back......

Methinks he doth speak of our inclement weather, rather than the SilverWing! Smile

Graham
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Verily he doth, or should that be didth?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to start a 03 swing   how to start a 03 swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to start a 03 swing
Page 1 of 1