Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:15 pm

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby ButlerZoie Today at 11:21 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 4:47 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 4:27 am

» LF extended back rest
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 3:54 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 12:26 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 4:15 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 2:27 am

» New to Me Swing
Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:39 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
model28a
Gary In Houston
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Gary In Houston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up Empty
PostSubject: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 pm

I am over due for a tune up, & the Honda dealer wants $500.00. I can`t get it to start & the battery is ok. It turns over but will not start. It was running great 2 weeks ago. I live in N/W Houston. Gary
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Try new plugs, if the gas is old siphon most out and put new gas in. Saw a Wing at auction that would not run so no one wanted to bid on it. My friend spoke with the owner who said "it ran good when he brought it to the auction two months ago". My friend made an low offer and the man didn't want to pay to run thru the auction and risk it not selling again so he took the offer. My friend put new plugs in and siphoned most of the old gas out and put new gas in and it started right up and runs great. I's worth a try.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 2:07 am

First what is tune up?? bike has no points, carb adjustments, etc.

How old is bike?miles? maint. history?

Lots of miles, maybe valve adjustment, new plugs, flush fuel system, check fuel pump.

Just make it run---find the thing that failed since it ran 2 wks ago. replace/fix that
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 am

Check for spark , fuel pump cycling ,check your kill switch ,fuse.How many miles on it?, did it stop will riding. Smell the gas in the tank.side stand switch.
Back to top Go down
Gary In Houston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks for the ideas. The S/W is a 2002 model. I bought it a year ago with 16,000 miles on it. It has always ran very good, no problems. It now has 32,000 + on it. I have never changed the plugs so that may be it. It was running great a couple weeks ago then after sitting a while, it won`t start. I can hear the engine trying to start, but nothing happens. I will try the plugs this week-end. Is there anything else I shoud change, like the air filter, or gas filter. Are they hard to get to? I have tools but my back isn`t so good these days. Thanks for the tips. Gary
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank,I put a ounce every 4 fill ups. to get to the filter,get a stool to sit on remove the side cover the filter should be replace. Your owners manual should show you how to remove the tupperware.Take your time and get to know your Swing.A service manual will help you to trouble shoot and get familiar with your scoot. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 am

Try giving it a little throttle while cranking it. I think it may have a throttle position sensor on it and it might be out if whack. Mine does the same thing once or twice a year. I give it a little throttle while cranking and it starts right up and runs fine afterwards.

Let us know if it works for you.
Back to top Go down
Gary In Houston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Well I changed the spark plugs, & it started up after a little throttle. It starts right away now every time. I always use Shell gas & I ride almost every day except the last couple weeks. It`s been 32 several mornings. I will change the air filter next, & maybe the gas filter if I can figure out where it is. How criticle is the valve adjustment? I missed the 24,000 maintenance as I didn`t have $500 to spend. I think my mileage is close to 27,000 & not 32,000. It felt good to ride again after 3 weeks of driving the car. Any houston riders out there?

2002 with stereo radio 50 watt/channel GIVI windshield.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Gary, I think the gas filter is inside the gas tank. I don't have any recollection that it is supposed to ever be changed.

There is a tutorial on swapping out the air filter on this site. Follow it and you should have no problem. Also, inside your owners manual (the one under the seat) are directions for removing the right side panel and replacing the air filter. It is also clear and concise.

The valves are supposed to be checked at 16,000 miles and every 16000 miles thereafter. My 2003 is at 27,000 and I have never checked or adjusted the valves - it runs too well to expect any benefit from checking it. It may blow up on me some day, but that is a chance that I am willing to take.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 6:23 pm

There is no adjusting to the valve shims. when you check the valve shims make sure that you have a valve shim kit if they need to be change and use only the same number that are on the old ones. To save some money if you are taking your Swing to a dealer, remove the tupperware to save on 2 to 3 hours+ in labour. Or be prepare yourself for a big costly repair bill.
Back to top Go down
Randy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi Gary
I'm from Sugar Land,, you know we don't claim Houston.
I ride every day even in the 30's Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ohanaphotos.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 pm

My 2008 is at 40,400 and I have never checked or adjusted the valves and it runs great. I asked my Honda dealer for a valve shim kit and was told to check the valve clearance and if it was out of tolerance to bring my shims and the valve clearance with the old shims, then they would sell me the shims I need. Not the way I would like to do it.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 1:12 am

There is a Honda parts list site that sells the complete kit for all possible size that you could need. Your dealer wants to sell you the shims that you want and keep the rest for them self .They will charge you for the full cost of the shims and keep the rest to charge the next Swing owner full price.I think that Honda parts list is called Honda OEM parts list. I will look it up to make sure.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 2:10 am

Bike Bandit.com sell valve shims for $3.17 each. If you ever get your valve checks take the number size of the shims that you will need when they need to be replace and you can have them when the time comes to replace them.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 2:17 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up   Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone in Houston that can help with tune-up
Page 1 of 1