Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Future Silver Wings

Go down 
+3
RArch
Meldrew
Tom G
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-09-10

Future Silver Wings Empty
PostSubject: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 12:12 pm

I have a 2002 model with 36K miles. I only had 19K when I bought it 16 months ago.

Because I started riding late in life (I'm 75) I've got the itch to get another machine. I would prefer an automatic with a bit larger engine that gets better gas mileage.

I've read about the new Honda NC 700X which is an automatic (or manual), gets over 70MPG, has 670cc and only weighs 474 lbs. wet. I'd considered getting one, but I
had difficulty throwing my leg over the seat.

Has anyone heard whether or not there are any changes in the works for the Swing that might utilize some of the NC 700X features?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 pm

The "new" Silver Wing, the Honda SW-T 600 has been out for a couple of years now and is on sale in Western Europe but not the UK or USA. There's quite a few posts on here if you look on 'Other Scooters'.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 1:47 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Besides the different styling , are there any major mechanical differences
with the SWT600 and the FSC600 that we have here in the States ?
Just wondering why Honda hasn't offered the newer version to us .
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm

I think it's because scooters aren't a big seller here in the US. At least not the higher priced maxi scooters. Not macho you know. My SW doesn't look too sissy when I strap my AR15 across the passenger seat when I ride it to the range. That's a lot more convenient than having it over my shoulder on its sling when transporting the rifle by scooter.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi Tom, Your post seems to imply the following criteria: fast(er), easy to mount, automatic, and good mileage - if so, then your options are limited. Insofar as maxi-scooters go, there is the SWing, the BMW, and the Burgman. While you could go with a small cruiser, they are not automatic.

For your criteria I would suggest you consider a 'newer' SWing. I had a 2003 and moved on to a 2008. The 2008 ran better, got better mileage, and handled better - not by a lot - but it was a noticable difference.

Here is my assessment of your criteria:
Faster - I have Dr Pulley Sliders - 24 gram - which makes my acceleration amazing as no one seems to get the jump on my - and my SWing easily goes much faster (10mph over) than I can legally go on California freeways (some with 70mph limit) and over mountains (some over 10,000 feet) and my SWing never seems to lack for power or acceleration at any legal speed.
Easy to Mount - My SWing is the best for not having to lift my legs which I like.
Mileage - Your fuel bill is now around $1000 per year - so for every 5mpg increase in milage you are saving about $100 - not enough likely to be a significant economic factor considering all of the ancillary expenses with pleasure riding a scooter. My SWing mileage jumped 10% when I got my 2008 with an O2 sensor.

The BMW and Burgman maxi-scooters have bigger wheels which will likely have a big improvement in handling - assuming you want to go around corners a lot faster or are riding on lousy roads - but if you are only doing 10,000 miles a year these are not likely key criteria.

You may want to consider a 300cc (nominal 20hp) scooter (e.g., Vespa 300 GTS). I had one and it was great fun - good mileage, great handling, very manuverable, and super gas mileage - not as fast as a SWing - but a real kick. I would not mind getting a smaller scooter - but not if I had to give up my SWing. Suggest you try one - you will be surprised. For me, doubt that I would go to a Burgman or BMW (unless I was buying new) as they cost a lot and I don't see that I would be getting that much more in performance over my SWng.

Let us know what you decide/pick and best wishes doing so!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 pm

I think when this series of SilverWing runs out in US, that will be it.

Integra---not real scooter---new NC reg bike interesting in the normal version---I have looked at them. But I wouldn't touch the dual clutch (auto) with a 10 foot pole--you have to order that to get ABS. But near $7000 base and plain bike and then $1500 plus to make it usable, hard bags/rack/top box/windshield---gets expensive and then a chain oiler might be nice, too.I think scooter works better. But there will probably continue to be something from some maker in US that will work. Kymco/Suzuki/Yamaha....although their TMAX is sales flop in US (I bought one) but successful in Europe. At 74 May birthday, I kind of like the step thru and dry feet. I ride everyday, don't drive cars.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Unfortunately John I think you're right. It might change things if the BMW scooter does well in the US and Canada. It might give Honda enough gumption to bring some of the European models here. At this point I plan on keeping this '03 I have going as long as I can ride it. At 70 I hope to be able to ride it another ten to fifteen years. A friend of mine still rides his Goldwing at 86 so maybe I'll hold up that well. I would have purchased a new SW instead of this one if Honda didn't have such (to me) dull colors. Black, white, gray or silver doesn't do it for me. I like red ones.
One problem with the maxi scooters across the board is that so many people don't know about them. Most everyone who looks at mine, and many do, are very surprised when I tell them it's a 600cc twin and can easily top 100mph. The mindset in this country seem to link the maxis with the 50cc moped scoots. I really believe if any of the Japanese manufacturers would spend some money on ad campaigns like Honda did in the 60s with their "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" they coud resurrect the sales of these large displacement scooters. Lots of older guys like me who are beginning to have leg, ankle problems as well as arthritis who give up motorcycles don't realize there's another option. Lots of big money going into triking Goldwings and Harleys by guys who can't handle the big heavy bikes any longer. Some of them might go for a maxi scooter instead (saving a lot of money in the process) if they knew about them.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 5:14 am

john grinsel wrote:

While I hope that the SilverWing continues to live a long life I nevertheless wonder how much longer Honda will support it (or a newer version) in the USA. Hoping I am wrong but dealers stock what dealers sell - and in Northern California it is very rare to find a new Silverwing on any dealer floor. A couple of years ago there would be a new one here or there - but no longer. I did see a NEW SWing at one dealer about 4 months ago in a rather distant area that 'thought it was a good idea to stock it' but now wishes they had not as they are trying hard to unload it. In the USED market there are never that many used SWings for sale in California - but even the few used ones never seem to sell at KBB - mostly way less. It is rare that a week goes by that I don't do a group ride - and sometimes it is two; however, I have never actually ridden on a group ride with another SWing owner. SWing owners in N. California are out there - but not too plentiful. Anyone that sees my SWing perform is typically impressed at how it handles - but they seem to see it as a novelty - not something that would ever interest them - even though I am always bullish on its capabilities. The SWing is chump change compared to what most people are riding in California. In fact, for most of the riders I know (excluding the base value of their bike), their accessories, riding gear, communications setups, and farkles are worth more than my SWing - so any lack of interest in getting a SWing is in no way related to economics.

Where I used to see a single SWing at dealers a couple of years ago - I am now seeing TWO Burgman's - so, the Burgman's are selling. About 6 months ago I called Honda Powersports is Los Angeles to query them about the sales of SWings in the USA - they politely declined to provide me with any sales figures. I have sought sales figures out before on the SWing - but never have had success.

I have never encountered a SWing rider in California that was not enthusiastic about their SWing - but we nevertheless we seem to be a small - and shrinking - group.

Finishing up on a good note, I am looking forward to lots of great rides and fun times on my SWing in 2013 and wish all of you happy SWing riders the same! Ride Safe in 2013 and Happy New Years to you and your families!
Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 6:44 am

My questions exactly. I took a brief look at the SWT600 specs and noticed nothing but cosmetic changes.

surlybiker58 wrote:
Besides the different styling , are there any major mechanical differences
with the SWT600 and the FSC600 that we have here in the States ?
Just wondering why Honda hasn't offered the newer version to us .
Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 7:02 am

Excellent advice on all points. A friend is using Dr. Pulley sliders and he "swears" by them. You confirm what he says.

No BMW for me. I sat on one recently, and the feeling is not comfortable. Both legs rub on the cowling (or something) which is not pleasant. Burgman 400, No - don't want a "One Banger" in a Max-Scooter, and a 600 appears to heavy & cumbersome.

A Vespa 300 GTS is a different story. I'd love to have one to stable with my Swing. I wonder which one I'd ride the most.
Two friends have Vespa 200cc's, and they rode to Key West from JAX and back two months ago. Only stayed over 1 night each way.

At this point I'm thinking a new Swing might be the answer.

Thanks for your very sound suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Dimond wrote:
Hi Tom, Your post seems to imply the following criteria: fast(er), easy to mount, automatic, and good mileage - if so, then your options are limited. Insofar as maxi-scooters go, there is the SWing, the BMW, and the Burgman. While you could go with a small cruiser, they are not automatic.

For your criteria I would suggest you consider a 'newer' SWing. I had a 2003 and moved on to a 2008. The 2008 ran better, got better mileage, and handled better - not by a lot - but it was a noticable difference.

Here is my assessment of your criteria:
Faster - I have Dr Pulley Sliders - 24 gram - which makes my acceleration amazing as no one seems to get the jump on my - and my SWing easily goes much faster (10mph over) than I can legally go on California freeways (some with 70mph limit) and over mountains (some over 10,000 feet) and my SWing never seems to lack for power or acceleration at any legal speed.
Easy to Mount - My SWing is the best for not having to lift my legs which I like.
Mileage - Your fuel bill is now around $1000 per year - so for every 5mpg increase in milage you are saving about $100 - not enough likely to be a significant economic factor considering all of the ancillary expenses with pleasure riding a scooter. My SWing mileage jumped 10% when I got my 2008 with an O2 sensor.

The BMW and Burgman maxi-scooters have bigger wheels which will likely have a big improvement in handling - assuming you want to go around corners a lot faster or are riding on lousy roads - but if you are only doing 10,000 miles a year these are not likely key criteria.

You may want to consider a 300cc (nominal 20hp) scooter (e.g., Vespa 300 GTS). I had one and it was great fun - good mileage, great handling, very manuverable, and super gas mileage - not as fast as a SWing - but a real kick. I would not mind getting a smaller scooter - but not if I had to give up my SWing. Suggest you try one - you will be surprised. For me, doubt that I would go to a Burgman or BMW (unless I was buying new) as they cost a lot and I don't see that I would be getting that much more in performance over my SWng.

Let us know what you decide/pick and best wishes doing so!
Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2012 7:07 am

Thanks for the info John. You have convinced me to stick with a scooter. I also like the "step through" and "dry feet" aspect of a scooter. And after moving to JAX from Wisconsin, I too ride every day and use my car less and less. Why not???

Also didn't know that the T-Max isn't selling well. I thought about getting one a while back.

Tom

john grinsel wrote:

Integra---not real scooter---new NC reg bike interesting in the normal version---I have looked at them. But I wouldn't touch the dual clutch (auto) with a 10 foot pole--you have to order that to get ABS. But near $7000 base and plain bike and then $1500 plus to make it usable, hard bags/rack/top box/windshield---gets expensive and then a chain oiler might be nice, too.I think scooter works better. But there will probably continue to be something from some maker in US that will work. Kymco/Suzuki/Yamaha....although their TMAX is sales flop in US (I bought one) but successful in Europe. At 74 May birthday, I kind of like the step thru and dry feet. I ride everyday, don't drive cars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Future Silver Wings   Future Silver Wings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Future Silver Wings
Page 1 of 1